PDA

View Full Version : Pi Quan and lung

chyisan
11-19-2001, 01:48 AM
My kung fu teacher taught me the Lianhuan Quan a while back. He's not a Xing Yi master by any means, but he knew the form and taught it to us just so we are exposed to different styles other than his primary style (Mantis). Lately I've been having some problems with my respiratory tract and lungs. I've been more vulnerable to colds, coughs, sinus problems...etc.. I was wondering how do I practice Pi quan to benefit my lungs? What should my mind be on, what kind of things in my movements should I be aware of? At what speed should the Pi be performed?

Mindlessness is the enemy...

Mojo
11-19-2001, 02:20 AM
Chyisan
You don't practice just one of the elements to get that particular organ stronger. The idea is to practice all of the elements inorder to acheve harmony. It is the correct practice of all five fists that will bring you to full health.

The Dude: Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.

PlasticSquirrel
11-19-2001, 04:15 AM
i really don't have much experience at all with organ use. it just confuses me... :eek:

i would try posting on the forum at http://www.emptyflower.com where there are quite a few skilled xingyiquan guys. for some reason they tend to stay away from here. i'm not sure how much they will be able to tell you, though. sorry i can't give you more info.

boy_analog
11-19-2001, 04:35 AM
As it happens, pi chuan is primarily associated with the lungs. Done correctly, it should strengthen them.

My guess is that you are doing the strike incorrectly, and that this is affecting your lungs adversely. Making a wild guess, I'd imagine that you might be "forcing" the movement too much, given your external-style background.

See someone who really does hsing-i, and show them your form. In the meantime, you might want to try doing your pi chuan without trying to make it a "strike".

Turiyan
11-22-2001, 05:41 AM
The organs assigned to chinese medicine can be a bit deceptive if you take the associations at face value. For instance, the fog generator, the upper dan tien governs the lungs and heart. The middle, the spleen and stomach.

Are you facing the wind when you do this?

Turiyan
"A man may without hesitation kill anyone who attacks him with a weapon in his hand, even if it is his guru, a child, an old man, or a priest..."
--Laws of manu, C8V350

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan
"A Brahmin, coming into existence, is born as the highest on earth, the
lord of all created beings, for the protection of the treasury of the
(natural) law. Whatever exists in the world is (by right), the
property of the Brahmin; on account of the excellence of his origin
(primogeniture and eminence of birth) The Brahmin is, indeed, entitled
to it all" --C1V99-V100 The laws of manu

The Willow Sword
11-22-2001, 07:11 AM
pi chuan affects the lung meridians (inside of the arm and the large intestine,,outside of the arm. maybe you are becoming too yin in the training. drink some hot green tea. take some RED ginseng to build the yang in your system and then do Pi chuan(chopping fist) with a more forced breath, breath all the way in and slow the movements down. that is my suggestion to you.
Many respects,,Willow sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
Luke?! Luke?! dont give into hate. That leads to the dark side.
Obi Wan Kenobi,,star wars, empire strikes back.

JNA
11-27-2001, 02:13 AM
I dont think you should really be taking any advice from anyone on this forum about cures for your problem since no one here is a medical or qiqong expert?. It could become worse and should should probably stop altogether and go to your Medical Doctor, then maybe a TCM or qiqong master. they'll probably tell you what to do. You can find many places where it says if you feel sick after doing qiqong directly afterwards you should stop immediately. This is not a slam but you probably should've started in the first place.

"The Self Defense mentality" is one of escaping from a violent encounter unharmed. "The Warriors mentality" is one of taking out the enemy as quickly and efficient as possible-
Ji Ji Ke (Ji Long feng).Which one do you have?