PDA

View Full Version : What is "Black Tiger"?

Kshurika
11-19-2001, 07:29 PM
A recent issue of "Kung Fu / Qigong" had an article about Black Tiger and the author insisted it is not to be confused with Shantung Black Tiger. I have friends who insist that it is wholly an internal style, but it seems pretty hard and intense from the little I've read. Does anyone have experience with this style? Is it taught anywhere in Southern California? I'd like to see it (even though I'm still interested primarily in Xing Yi).

Kung Lek
11-20-2001, 02:19 AM
I practice Toisan district Nam sil lum Hak Fu Pai.

or more simply put, Shaolin Black Tiger. It is not the same thing as Shantung black Tiger, nor is it Hark fu Moon or Tiger Claw (fu jow pai).

what I can say is that all gthe southern styles of Blacl tiger bear most resemblance to Hung Gar Kung fu.

Likely, they were brought out into the secular world at roughly the same time, maybe the tiger was brought out before Hung Hei Gung brought it out after studying Shaolin tiger with Gee Sim See.

The Black Tiger style that The KFQG author writes about (Wayne Carisi) is a different style again, but also looks to share a lot with Hung Gar.

it is also said that some styles of Black Tiger are actually "Village Hung" systems. That is to say, they are the Shaolin Tiger Style that was brought into a given region by other monks who were also Tiger masters.

Hung Hei Gung was quite well known generally because of the tumoltuous times he lived in and the fact that he was a radical and a rebel against the Ching dynasty. As was true of his followers and students all the way down the line to the fall of the Ching and the instillation of Communism and the dispersal of the arts into the british and portugese colonies and into the Nationalist region of Taiwan.

In the mean time there were plenty of non-monks or lay people who learned Shaolin Tiger system. Some called it this some called it that, many called it "Black" for some reason. Perhaps because it was a hidden style for a long time during politically troubled times.

The foundation to all these styles is Shaolin Tiger style and Shaolin training methods and conditioning methods along with meditation and various Gongs mixed into the system.

The rest is details.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)