PDA

View Full Version : Yuen Kay San forms

shanghai-mantis
05-05-2018, 03:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB-A_8t2yq4&t=33s

Seems only allowed to post one video in a post. Chum Kiu and Biu Jee are on the channel too if you click over to it.

PalmStriker
05-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Interesting to watch this demonstration of the SLT set, reminds me of some of the other lesser known non-Ip Man lineage practices. Also notice the rooted Southern Crane influence in the set more so than other same form sequences. :) SLT meditative practice seems to have been the life-blood of the old-timers, just like the emphasis on TCMA base adherence to foundation, time may pass where that may no longer be the case in the future.

shanghai-mantis
05-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Thanks!

Its also similar to the Ip Man - Lun Kai lineage that I learnt in the UK.

PalmStriker
05-12-2018, 11:15 AM
:) My favorite Yuen Kay San / Fung Sui Ching lineage branch of Wing Chun is the Mai Gei Wong school. Promotion of full body / circular application.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixm8RbhUr_0

Bino TWT
05-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Just a bit of trivia: They caused quite a ruckus over the portrayal of Yuen Kay Shan in Ip Man: the Legend is Born, and ended up doing a lot of public apologies.

When the script was first written for Ip Man 3, Max Zhang's character was originally supposed to be Sum Nung, but after quite the protest of the way he was being portrayed in the movie, they changed the name of the character to Cheung Tin Chi to avoid any more conflict.

shanghai-mantis
05-20-2018, 12:04 AM
I do remember hearing something about that.

Yoshiyahu
06-19-2019, 08:30 AM
One thing i Love about his videos is he takes his time to actual showcase it.

Many branches of YKS have variations of each form which makes them Unique from Sum Nung, To Sum Jee and others.
No one YKS has the same exact SLT. They all have their beautiful innovations. But some YKS kwoons run through the form so fast
Using speed to carry to each move instead of using flow and going slow. The Moves often look sloppy with out focus. But one thing i love
about Kwok Wan Ping is you can see he understands the martial application of each move by how he moves. With some of YKS lineage its like forms
Are just something to do. Not real attention is paid to them and they only give careful credence to the Sup Yee San Sik.

rauljasso
06-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Interesting! I've seen SLT with the same movements, different choreography though, I'm sure it's from the Yuen Kay lineage...it seems Sum Num had a lot of sudents.....

Yoshiyahu
06-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Yes if you look at Sum Jee and Sum Nung and even kwok wan ping they have similarities but differences. Each one has different movements that are subtle.

Interesting! I've seen SLT with the same movements, different choreography though, I'm sure it's from the Yuen Kay lineage...it seems Sum Num had a lot of sudents.....