PDA

View Full Version : Question about Shuai Chiao and Tai Chi----Worth Reading

JNA
11-26-2001, 05:45 AM
:D Hello to ev'ryone. I'm new if you didn't know. I'm in sort of a question frenzy since this is my third one on my first day. What can i say, I love Martial Arts and I'm generally a curious guy. Anyhow I heard somewhere that Shuai Chiao and Tai Chi are very similar in that Shuai Chiao gives you the same health benefits as Tai Chi. Some practitioners of this style even consider it 2 sides of the same coin (do you?). Does anyone know if its true. Second question is about Chang Tung Sheng's style of Tai Chi. Does anyone know if its as effective as Chen, Yang, and Wu. I read on Frank Demaria's site that Chang Tung Sheng himself didn't think push hands was important. He even was reportedly known to play it as a game to relax. Do you think this would effect Chang style Tai Chi's effectiveness. Someone correct me on this and please forgive if this was stated already on another's post.

honorisc
11-27-2001, 01:56 AM
You might want to pay more attention to the shuai chiao people who also did/do T'ai Chi Ch'uan, on that they are two sides of the same coin.

It seems that if they are doing both arts, they couldn't Know which art was doing what benefits to their body. If you are already healthy and do something new and are still healthy, it doesn't seem valid to clam that new one ( or either gave the same health benefits as long as you are doing the first also. And some health things are continuous once you get to that level, requiring only a little maintenance.

While the different styles might have different focuses. They theoretically are bsaed onthe same stuff, and as the ten thousand things comes from the one, If any T'ai Chi Ch'uan is effective or good they all can be (with the right understanding).

Play can be a deceptive word in Martial Arts. You and four or more others could try to kill me (guns, knives, throwing pets at me...) I might say, "Let's play." And i have the mind set that You all might successfully kill me so I would address them lethally. In anything, where sarcasm happens, as with Chinese cultures a word can have a dual maening, even opposite.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

JNA
11-27-2001, 02:28 AM
Your probably right about the Shuai Chiao/Tai Chi thing, but on the issue about playing push hands on the site i went to its pretty hard to misunderstand what he was saying. It quoted Chang Tung Sheng as saying push hands are unimportant or have no place in Tai Chi. Go to the ACCS site(type it in and search) and find out for yourself. I know your s'pose to be a real a sceptic with what people in the MA business say but in a way I believe it or Chang Tung Sheng wouldn't of made his own style of Tai Chi, which says theirs room for improvement which I (meaning Chang) can make. Also Shuai Chiao is older than any known style of Kung Fu by atleast 2000 years.

"The Self Defense mentality" is one of escaping from a violent encounter unharmed. "The Warriors mentality" is one of taking out the enemy as quickly and efficient as possible-
Ji Ji Ke (Ji Long feng).Which one do you have?

[This message was edited by Leonidas on 11-27-01 at 04:41 PM.]