PDA

View Full Version : Westworld

GeneChing
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Shoot, now I must tune into this. I love the old Yul Brynner films and I also love Sanada's work, but I've been trying to limit my TV time and not get hooked to any new shows.

A Japanese martial arts hero joins ‘Westworld’ (https://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/television/2018/05/31/hiroyuki-hiro-sanada-japanese-martial-arts-hero-westworld-hbo/35552759/)
Lorraine Ali, Los Angeles Times Published 5:15 p.m. ET May 31, 2018

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/20f997a08fbd3a9ed51e53aafb6a926ce4480e56/c=52-0-2948-3861&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/2018/05/31/DetroitNews/B99664827Z.1_20180531171528_000_GAS20VTBH.2-0.jpg
(Photo: Hollywood Press / TNS)

The robot cowboys and saloon girls of “Westworld” met their match when the HBO show, now in its second season, revealed the parallel universe of Shogun World. But ninjas and geishas programmed with narrative loops similar to their gun-slinging counterparts wasn’t the only highlight of the Japanese theme park.

One of the leaders in the “host” rebellion against the park’s pleasure-seeking guests is Musashi, a fierce master samurai who can fell an entire army, and he gets plenty of opportunities to swing his sword. Musashi is played by master swordsman Hiroyuki “Hiro” Sanada, and the role continues the 57-year-old actor’s run as a crossover star and martial arts hero over a career that’s stretched from childhood roles of the 1960s to his American breakthrough in “The Last Samurai” to being featured in a forthcoming chapter of Marvel’s “Avengers” franchise.

The L.A.-based Sanada, who also starred in the last season of “Lost,” spoke with The Times about sword play, reciting Shakespeare and more:

You’ve been acting since you were in grade school and have easily starred in over 100 productions across film, TV and the stage. In all that time, have you ever played the role of a robot?

I have played an immortal being before, but not a robot. Now I’m a robot Samurai.

Were you a “Westworld” fan before landing the role of Musashi?

Oh, yes. I watched all of Season 1, and in real time when it aired. So when I saw they were working with the samurai warriors at the end of last season, I saw possibility. A samurai and a Shogun World?! I was so curious. So I just kind of crossed my fingers. When I received the offer for this role, I was so excited. They have great ideas, crew, cast, talent, and they use all the (latest) technology. Everything is so high-grade.

How would you describe your character?

His name, Musashi, is also the name of a real, legendary Japanese sword master, and he has a great skill for fighting. He always tries to fix the story by his sword. He’s a host (robot) who fights to save himself and others. And regular “Westworld” characters are crossing over into Shogun World, so we have an interesting relationship that connects us.

It’s probably safe to assume you’ve filmed more martial arts fight scenes than anyone who was on the “Westworld” set.

I don’t know. (Laughs.) But I’ve done so many samurai movies and the fighting scenes before, so they respected me as a sword master on set. I suggested some things and had some ideas for the fighting scenes and worked with the choreographer and coordinator to make it the authentic samurai way. We’ve worked to create the best balance between authenticity and entertainment.

And do you still do all your own fight scenes?

I like creating scenes with stunt guys and a choreographer, but I did all the fighting by myself. No stunt double at all. Sometimes all-day fighting, including my birthday. From the beginning to the end, all day, fighting, fighting, fighting.

You had to slay the enemy on your birthday? That seems unfair.

(Laughs.) But at lunchtime they brought a big birthday cake on set and then all the cast and crew sung happy birthday. It’s one of my favorite birthdays ever.

What inspired you to start acting at such a young age?

I watched a lot of American and European movies. The great leading actors doing their own stunts. I wanted to act and do everything by myself — that was my thought. I started martial arts training when I was 13, also traditional dance and singing. And I was already thinking about working in the world market.

Later, when you would see martial arts scenes in American films, what did you think?

I was training and could see that some movies coming from America misunderstood our culture. I was so frustrated. I decided then that I wanted to correct these mistakes about our culture. But I was working just in Japan until I was 40.

What was your breakthrough in terms of crossing over to an international audience?

When I got the chance to work with the Royal Shakespeare Company (in 1999). It was my first experience speaking English in front of an audience. It was like mixing cultures and making something new no one had ever seen.

‘Westworld’

9 p.m. Sunday

HBO

Someone here must be watching this. Thoughts? Reviews?

GeneChing
11-07-2022, 09:10 AM
And Daniel Wu (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1269) even entered the cast for season 4. I started watching season 1 and was getting into it, but then cancelled my HBO subscription for other things.

But now...

HBO Cancels ‘Westworld’ in Shock Decision (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/hbo-cancels-westworld-1235255955/)
The acclaimed sci-fi drama is considered finished after its recent fourth season, despite creators hoping for a fifth season to wrap things up.

BY JAMES HIBBERD

NOVEMBER 4, 2022 12:54PM
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/westworld_s03_evan_rachel_wood_0.jpg?w=1280&h=720&crop=1
Evan Rachel Wood in 'Westworld'

HBO has switched off Westworld.

The network has decided to cancel the sci-fi drama after its recent fourth season.

It’s an unexpected fate for a series that was once considered one of HBO’s biggest tentpoles — an acclaimed mystery-box drama that racked up 54 Emmy nominations (including a supporting actress win for Thandiwe Newton).

Last month, co-creator Jonathan Nolan said in an interview that he hoped HBO would give the series a fifth season to wrap up the show’s ambitious story, which has chronicled a robot uprising that changed the fate of humanity. “We always planned for a fifth and final season,” Nolan said. “We are still in conversations with the network. We very much hope to make them.” Co-creator Lisa Joy likewise said the series has always been working toward a specific ending: “Jonah and I have always had an ending in mind that we hope to reach. We have not quite reached it yet.”

Yet linear ratings for the pricey series fell off sharply for its third season, and then dropped even further for season four. Westworld’s critic average on Rotten Tomatoes likewise declined from the mid-80s for its first two seasons to the mid-70s for the latter two. Fans increasingly griped that the show had become confusing and tangled in its mythology and lacked characters to root for. Looming over all of this is the fact Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav has pledged aggressive cost-cutting, though network insiders maintain that saving money was not a factor in the show’s cancellation.

Still, HBO — and, increasingly, other cable networks and streamers — typically like to give major series creators time to craft an ending for serialized shows as it keeps its subscribers from getting upset (see: the years-long fandom outrage after Deadwood was axed). Plus, a show that can tout a beginning, middle and end arguably increases its perceived value as a streaming and home video product compared to a title that feels unfinished.

The fourth season of Westworld wasn’t entirely a cliffhanger, however. Its final moments could be said to be rather ambiguous (as discussed in our postseason interview with Joy, where THR associate editor Abbey White pointed out, “It felt like the show could have ended there”).

Here’s HBO’s statement: “Over the past four seasons, Lisa and [Jonathan] have taken viewers on a mind-bending odyssey, raising the bar at every step. We are tremendously grateful to them, along with their immensely talented cast, producers and crew, and all of our partners at Kilter Films, Bad Robot and Warner Bros. Television. It’s been a thrill to join them on this journey.”

And here’s Kilter Films’ statement: “Making Westworld has been one of the highlights of our careers. We are deeply grateful to our extraordinary cast and crew for creating these indelible characters and brilliant worlds. We’ve been privileged to tell these stories about the future of consciousness – both human and beyond – in the brief window of time before our AI overlords forbid us from doing so.”

HBO still has several tentpole dramas including the newly launched House of the Dragon along with Succession, The White Lotus and Euphoria, plus the upcoming zombie apocalypse thriller The Last of Us.

Also, just like the show’s frequently resurrected androids, it would be foolish to assume there will never be any more Westworld ever. If Deadwood can get a movie 12 years after the series finished, it’s always possible Westworld could likewise be, well, rebooted.