PDA

View Full Version : Ron Sieh or other internal arts school in Minneapolis, MN

johnmcole
11-28-2001, 02:32 AM
A friend of mine who is living in Minneapolis is interested in finding a internal arts school/teacher in the area.

I hear that Ron Sieh is teaching Tai Chi there. Does anyone have his contact info?

Or can anyone recommend other schools worth checking out?

Thanks,
John

Rockwood
11-28-2001, 11:43 PM
Hi, I've met Ron Sieh. He was a student of Peter Ralston here in Oakland. He specializes in the Tai Chi and Hsing I that Peter learned from Master Wong Jack Man in San Francisco.
Ron is a nice guy and has a good handle on this stuff. I think he's past his brawling days but hes got a lot of heart.
What he learned from Ralston includes a lot of mind training and awareness drills. Frustrating, difficult, but eventually rewarding. A sample can be seen in Ron's book "Tai Chi Ch'uan: The Internal Tradition".

-Jess O'Brienāˆž

johnmcole
11-29-2001, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info Jess!

You wouldn't happen to have any contact info for Mr. Sieh would you?

John

miscjinx
11-29-2001, 09:31 PM
Ron Sieh is/was teaching on Nicollet Ave (2821) on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 - 9 pm. I didn't have luck finding him when I was there last Thursday. So I called him and have been waiting. However, his school's phone number is 612-722-8664 if your friend wants to give it a go.

I've been trying to meet Ron myself. Feel free to forward my information as well. An internal strength/Yang Style Tai Chi class may start at the beginning of next year taught by me. I also like to train with people in the Twin Cities, so I meet some people to spar, train internal strength (ala Mike Sigman...and others), and application. I study tuite/pressure points and I have been studying Chen Style as of late. I've been studying tai chi (started with Yang Lu'Chan old style via Darrin Coe (ala Erle Montaigue)) for 6 going on seven years. I can be reached at 952-933-6680 or Eric_Putkonen@yahoo.com.

~ Eric Putkonen

Nexus
11-29-2001, 09:47 PM
Have you had a chance to experiment with the Yang Cheng Fu forms yet at all or just mainly Yang Lu Chan? Just wondering as Erle of course advocates both but stresses the YLC more for martial app.

- Nexus

johnmcole
11-29-2001, 09:55 PM
Eric,

Thanks very much for the information and your offer. I will pass it on to my friend Michael.

John

miscjinx
12-06-2001, 07:44 AM
I know Erle says you should start with the Yang Cheng Fu form, but my teacher started with Yang Lu'Chan and just kept in touch with Erle. I got the impression we were doing well considering we skipped ahead. It is possible to start with Yang Lu'Chan (as I did), but it is more difficult.

But I have also experimented with the Yang Cheng Fu form. About the time I finished the first third of Yang Lu'Chan, I took a class for the first third of Yang Cheng Fu in college - taught by another of Erle's students. Also since then, I have visited many a taiji school and usually Yang Cheng Fu or some later derivative is taught. I can never totally ignore the Yang Cheng Fu form, as whenever I want to speak with another taiji person about form - it is usually that one or a later derivative.

I've played with Yang Cheng Fu, but I don't really practice it anymore as it has no interest to me. I like the older style.

~ Eric Putkonen