PDA

View Full Version : Bagua exercises

northstar
11-28-2001, 11:37 AM
To all the bagua practitioners on this board: which exercices apart from walking the circle holding palm positions do you do? How do they complement your circle walking?

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
11-28-2001, 07:19 PM
Well, a common supplimentary exercise is the "tea cup serving" exercise. You can see an example of one method by going to www.hsing-i.com (http://www.hsing-i.com). There is a short clip there. Also, I like to practice the single palm in a sationary position. I'm sure there are many more that other people can tell you about. I'm still a beginner.

~ETB

blacktaoist
11-28-2001, 07:48 PM
I train every other day with a 50 pound weighted vest that have Iron bars in the vest. The vest have help me establish a powerful root and good balance when ever I practice my Bagua forms.

Training with the vest have develop my power and speed in my Baguazhang hand and foot techniques. Most Baguazhang people that I met don't have any power or root. This is because all they practice is form to establish they so-Called internal power. What they need to do is open up they eyes to the real world of Martial arts.

All styles of Martial arts have auxiliary training techniques used to enhance skills. But I find alot of so called Internal" boxers don't have any skills at all, But alot of external Martial artist that I met have power, root, and skills, even karate fighters that I know was more poweful then a lot of my Baguazhang Martial art brothers that I have met.

Baguazhang Have many auxiliary training techniques That the Bagua practitioner can learn and practice and enhance they shills. But few follow the true way to skill. Many practice the Bagua mouth Method (I-Ching Theory)All you have to do is read a I-ching book, and people call you a Baguazhang Master. LOL

All theory and no real Hardcore practice. This is way other Martial artist LOL at Baguazhang and internal martial art people, because only a few can use they martial art.

Other auxiliary techniques I practice to enhance skills for fighting, after all thats what baguazhang is all about,a Fighting Method.
Staff pulling, candle extinguinguish exercise, iron palm training, Tree training for impact conditioning,running half mile to five miles,Bagua tea cup drills, bag work, two man impact training to the body and legs, speed bag training, good for conditioning your eyes and hands only. These are just a few things I practice to help enhance my skill in baguazhang. peace

Waidan
11-28-2001, 09:10 PM
Good topic :)

My teacher and I do a lot of 2-man contact drills . Typically we'll take a (very short) section of a form, apply it in one context or another, and drill it repeatedly to better develop power and connection.

Also, I like to test my alignment by applying force to a static object (ie wall) while sinking into a posture. Really dig in and push...see where you feel the stress. If your shoulder (for example) is burning, something's amiss.

Bag-work and standing posture changes are also beneficial, IMO.

wisdom mind
11-28-2001, 09:38 PM
LOL Black thats highlarious, well written post!

see you soon.... PEEP this Bizness!!!

i utilized soft skills on tuesday night
to defend myself against 15 attackers in a bar
in alphabet city. this one guy wanted to roll up on my lady, so he got his hoe-boys (not homeboys) to jump me while he talked to Little Tiger.

they surrounded me from behind and tried to snuff me in the back. i repelled one fool's strike by absorbing the blow with my back...good thing i have been doing my tree impact training and palm changes WORD!

i dispersed that crowd then went to deal with the punk on my lady

i broke this fools bridge then mantis arm locked him soft style...he was 5 feet away from Little Tiger before he realized i was holding him and was pulling him close... i absorbed his chi and controlled his reality....then i had a secret to tell his arse.

Then, while smiling ear to ear and wispering ever so softly to the dude, I calmly informed him that he needed to leave my lady alone... he was very open to my suggestion and agreed wholeheartedly that he should move on, thanking me in fact for pointing out to him that he was an idiot.

LOL!

its all good in the hood.

walkin and piercing and burning the wikked

yiwizupakdizzydao

beaudacious
11-28-2001, 10:19 PM
take any palm changing method and drill it stationary 100 times each side. In sets of 10 and 20. practice ko bu and bai bu on a small tight circle and open the bai bu as much as your body will let you, without hurting yourself. practice it slowly and try and coordinate the breathe a bit

blacktaoist
11-28-2001, 11:24 PM
Whats up Centerline Vortex, I hope you and your woman are fine, You was all ways out the hook in my book. LOL. I hope you enjoy the Yin style workshop. I'm going to do other one this january /19/2002 at the same place for three hours. This one is coming to be more hardcore freefighting, using cao style Baguazhang techniques freestyle. The next workshop should be fun. See you soon.

Peace. Practice and live long.

Water Dragon
11-28-2001, 11:34 PM
TBT, come play on my Qi thread on the main board. I think you'll enjoy it. Oh yeah, tell Bobby Digital I said 'sup. LOL

wisdom mind
11-28-2001, 11:49 PM
I just felt it appropriate to give an update on the forum that Cao/Yin style bagua training really works in real life application.

I stayed very calm and relaxed the entire time

bouncers took the mob out after i dispersed them

and to those wondering, I picked up the techniques used that night from learning from the blacktaoist. this is not a false attempt at promotion, just props and respect where they are due.

big up your self and burn the batti mon

wisdom mind
11-29-2001, 12:43 AM
I do the first gua while walking the circle and
also do the stationary changes mentioned above.

Mentally I focus on destroying an opponent while remaining in the no mind state.

I also focus on balance and single weighted stances during the change. Sinking root while raising onto one leg helps stabilize the balancing leg.

I need to get a weight vest fo sho.

Ill try the footwork exercise out.

blacktaoist
11-29-2001, 01:11 AM
Water dragon I take a look, You always do have good threads. But you guys know I like the Fighting Threads more.

Centerline vortex, Thanks but no thanks. You don't have to give me any props, I'm nobody". Like I told you before, you was already a good fighter. Your own hard practice with the right mindset is what help you in this real life . It had nothing to do with me. LOL.

Peace. Practice and live long.