PDA

View Full Version : Aikido = YangTaiChi + BaGua Zhang?????

fajinpower
11-28-2001, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know these arts? Is there any relationship between the art? It seems that they are very similiar to each other? Any info is appreciate?

"Within stillness is movement, within movement is stillness; your body is a circles."

shaolinboxer
11-28-2001, 08:13 PM
What similarities do you see?

Mr. Nemo
11-28-2001, 10:24 PM
There's been some speculation that Ueshiba might've been exposed to some bagua while he was in china as a soldier. He may have incorporated elements of it into aikido.

Nexus
11-28-2001, 10:59 PM
If Aikido = YangTaiChi + BaGua Zhang
then Aikido - BaguaZhang = YangTaiChi
or Aikido - YangTaiChi = BuguaZhang
let Aikido = 0 then YangTaiChi = BaguaZhang

I guess if we let Aikido = 0 then it is mathematically correct. I think we're onto something. Perhaps BaguaZhang is tai chi in a circle? ;)

- Nexus

shaolinboxer
11-28-2001, 11:16 PM
Yes Nexus, you have solved the problem!

Nexus
11-29-2001, 12:16 AM
-Formally bows-

fajinpower
11-29-2001, 03:39 AM
You have solve a very complicated problem of mine.

"Within stillness is movement, within movement is stillness; your body is a circles."

Esteban
11-29-2001, 04:36 AM
Xingyi

Kumkuat
11-29-2001, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nexus:
If Aikido = YangTaiChi + BaGua Zhang
then Aikido - BaguaZhang = YangTaiChi
or Aikido - YangTaiChi = BuguaZhang
let Aikido = 0 then YangTaiChi = BaguaZhang

I guess if we let Aikido = 0 then it is mathematically correct. I think we're onto something. Perhaps BaguaZhang is tai chi in a circle? ;)

- Nexus[/quote]

No, If Aikido = 0, then YangTaiChi = -BaguaZhang or Baguazhang = -YangTaiChi. But what's interesting is that if BaguaZhan = 0, then Aikido = YangTaichi. Or if YangTaiChi = 0, then Aikido = BaguaZhang.

fajinpower
11-29-2001, 05:49 AM
Want to be rocket scientist instead?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MY SIFU - "Within stillness is movement, within movement is stillness; your whole body is full of circles; your body is three trunks / six harmonies; let your chi flow to your entire body; know your balance; your root guides the body movements; back erect; balance; yang flow down, yin flow up; east in the morning, west at evening; learn what is reasonable; you are holding a big ocean in your hands; everything is the same."

thumper
11-29-2001, 06:07 PM
I don't know. I brought this up to an Aikido instructor once, and he assured me that Ueshiba drew Aikido from the Japanese arts he learned. I wanted to scream "BULL" and toss scalding hot tea in his face, but I didn't.
Xing I is way to direct to be incorporated into Aikido in any way I think.

'either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations'

Esteban
11-29-2001, 07:24 PM
Hi Just a Man,

"Xing I is way to direct to be incorporated into Aikido in any way I think."

Well, the saying is "Looks straight, but ain't straight." But, you use the word "direct", and I think you can make that distinction compared to bagua, which might be considered "sneaky." However, if you're talking in terms of "circles" and "straight lines," then Xingyi is, ime, clearly "circular." Maybe we could say it is as circular as a "drill" or a "screwdriver."
Oh, well, just a thought.

Best,
Esteban

Rockwood
11-29-2001, 08:18 PM
One thing I noticed was that the "first technique" in aikido, Ikkyo, is an entering arm bar.

The first technique in Hsing Yi is Pi Chuan, which is used for many different things, but is quite clearly an entering armbar in a grappling context.

This similarity is especially clear when you look at older style Aikido like Tomiki style.

Another similarity is that one of the primary attacks in Aikido is Shomen Uchi which is basically a big overhead downward chop to the face. In Aikido this is excused as being a technique taken from sword fighting that is merely for training not fighting.

However, this is the exact same motion as Pi Chuan. And we all ought to know that Pi Chuan can hurt you real bad.

Also older style Aikido is way more linear and zigzag than the later, Hombu style of big circles and turns.

Just a couple of ideas...

-Jess O'Brien

Nexus
11-29-2001, 08:50 PM
Thank you for the revisions on my weak elementary algebra skills Kumkuat. -Sags head and heads back to gradeschool-

- Nexus