PDA

View Full Version : Tai chi for health

Kumkuat
04-09-2001, 07:42 PM
Yeah yeah, taiji is a fighting art. But who actually practice it for mainly health and not get too hung up on trying to learn the martial applications? I do; it's cool to learn the applications, but I'm not even internal enough to use it correctly. So I'm just focusing on my taiji as just an exercise.

Scarletmantis
04-09-2001, 08:08 PM
Good for you. You've probably heard all the advice about learning the art from a fighting perspective in order to glean the true health benifits. I too practice Tai Chi "for health", also for many other reasons. Why limit your art?

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."

Prairie
04-09-2001, 10:00 PM
It's my opinion that most forms of martial art are good for health even if the combat aspects are not trained or learned. Taijiquan would be included in this respect.

I didn't start practicing taiji with the goal of getting healthy - but it's certainly a nice added benefit.

Bye for Now,
Prairie

PS: I've come to the conclusion that some training methods are not healthy. Since my wrist was broken, I've decided that 3 Star blocking is not very good for me. (yes, I know this exercise should not involve the wrist but my opinion is now set)

JerryLove
04-10-2001, 01:38 AM
Taiji is good for your health on some level as lond as you don't twist your knees or anything. It's best if done properly (both structurally and energy wise). The easiest way to make sure you maintin doing it properly is to do it with the martial intent in mind.

That said, I too look at the health benifits of Taiji as one of the reasons I choose to persue that art.

Internal Boxer
04-10-2001, 08:31 PM
I too purely focus on the martial side of the art. But I must admit the health benefits are an amazing by product. I suffer a lot less from colds and flu, my levels of concentration have improved at an exponential rate. Every other fighting technique I knew previous to training in internal arts has become imbued with power, without any muscular tension. I do not know about others but I find it has increased my creativity and work productivity! Employers would do well to encourage exercises that augment internal energy.

OldFatBaldGuy
04-13-2001, 06:44 AM
I study it as a martial art and practice it for my health. As I've said before, I came for the health and stayed for the combat.

Respectfully.

OldFatBaldGuy

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

lausan
04-13-2001, 11:28 AM
I would say that I practice tai Chi for its health benefits not really for its applications.
Being first and foremost a Southern external practitioner, I get all the applications I need from that style.However I can appreciate the combat side of Tai Chi and can see many similarities between the two styles in terms of application.

By practicing both styles I get my fare share of Yin & Yang! ;)

Ky-Fi
04-13-2001, 05:13 PM
I can see the logic of the approach of lausan, when he's already getting CMA martial training in another style, to look at Taiji as more of a health pursuit. And, I don't mean any offense to anyone, but I must say I don't really see the logic of someone who doesn't practice any other martial arts to learn Taiji solely for health. I think the health benefits of Taiji WILL be present to some degree even if you don't learn the apps---you'll still get the great relaxation, stress reduction, qi circulation, etc. But virtually all the moves of Taiji forms were designed for martial use, and if you're just looking for health, it seems to me that you'd be spending a heck of a lot of your training time learning movements and angles and posture principles that weren't specifically created and refined for their health benefits. Wouldn't it make better use of your time to learn a lot of the great non-martial qigongs that are out there---ones that were specifically created with health benefits in mind? I don't know, that's just my take.

unclaimed effort
07-07-2001, 05:56 AM
In the time I did not learn an entire form in Tai Chi... Is it going to be safe for me to practice it and begin the flow of Tai Chi knowing that I will end up stopping the flow forcefully instead of ending the flow naturally with the ending movements of the form?

I can be like one of those philosophers who hide everything in poems, but instead I can tell you the true secret of martial arts in one word:

PRACTICE!

Sam Wiley
07-07-2001, 02:03 PM
If you're really concerned about this, just slowly bring your feet into a shoulder width stance on the last move, raise your handsin front of you as you inhale and lower them as you exhale. A standard qigong ending movement.

Taiji is just qigong, and cannot harm you really, unless you do it extremely wrong maybe. The concern about this sort of thing has to do with shortened forms, not whether or not the entire cycle was completed. If you do a qigong for the liver and leave the other organs out, it doesn't really matter, as you are healing the liver.

"I put forth my power and he was broken.
I withdrew my power and he was ground into fine dust."
-Aleister Crowley, The Vision and the Voice

unclaimed effort
07-08-2001, 02:27 AM
Thanks for your help.

I can be like one of those philosophers who hide everything in poems, but instead I can tell you the true secret of martial arts in one word:

PRACTICE!

Ka
03-04-2002, 03:12 PM
As internal MA people I would like to hear your definitions on what is a Healthy person?
Do you feel this relates to resting pulse rate,mental attitude,ability to fend off virial infections or something more?

Please apply the same question to bodyweight issue?Do you feel the western scale for healthy bodyweight is incorrect?(I know that it is when applied to Aisan and African Countries)
All comments welcome

Nexus
03-04-2002, 03:32 PM
Someone who has and is the essence of willpower.

Ray Pina
03-12-2004, 08:51 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/03/12/tai.chi/index.html

TaiChiBob
03-12-2004, 09:45 AM
greetings..

Some would call it antecdotal, heresay.. others would add it to the growing body of evidence that suggests that the measurement is not as important as the object being measured.. (my body of evidence grows..).. thanks..

Be well...

Ray Pina
03-12-2004, 09:51 AM
My master has shown me a few things that have become staples for when feeling stressed, ect, that bring me back to where I want to be.

I never speak of "internal" or chi here because it's just too controversial and many don't believe. But quietly I learn and try to keep putting money in the bank.

After my fight next month I'm going to mellow out a bit and begin a twice daily standing regiment.

SPJ
03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a right shoulder injury for sometime. I went to see a Chiropractor and received electricity for shallow muscle and ultrasound deep muscle massage and did stretching exercises.

I told my doctor that I practice Tai Ji, Ba Ji and Tong Bei. He has no clue what I am talking about. All of a sudden, I realized that only very few people know about CMA. Hence, I started to burden myself to write books to introduce CMA.

Basically, my shoulder muscle is too tight from over using. I have to relax it. I practice too much Ba Ji. I have to practice Tai Ji and Tong Bei more.

taizukungfu
09-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Tai chi Is to China traditional philosophy of Confucianism and Taoism in Tai Chi, yin and Yang dialectical philosophy as the core idea, the functions of maintenance of temperament, physical fitness, martial arts Sanda etc. as a whole, with the changes of yin and Yang and the five elements of learning, meridian, guidance and tonalide operation to form a Neiwaijianxiu, soft, slow and flexible and the traditional arts of ancient China move among force and soft.

10619 10620

Tai chi for health (https://www.taichikungfuinchina.com/tai-chi-for-health/)
This gentle form of exercise can help maintain strength, flexibility, and balance, and could be the perfect activity for the rest of your life.

In the philosophy of Tai Chi, it is said Chi (life energy) follows the mind, each posture and movement creates a different energy flow that, has a benifital overall affect on overall well-being.

Tai Chi stimulates circulation, aligns the skeleton and joints correctly, stimulates the organs of the body and helps digestion. It increases muscle tone, strength, improves balance and co ordination and improves breathing.

Tai Chi does not just provide physical benefits; by raising energy levels, it also affects the mind and the spirit. Tai Chi focuses thought, so that mind and body energy works together as one. When practising Tai Chi, people find that they are not just physically fitter but, happier, more alert, have greater mental focus and are more creative.

10619 10621

The Health benefits of tai chi
The benefits of tai chi are said to include the reduction of stress, anxiety, and depression, and the enhancement of mood, both in both healthy people and in those with chronic conditions.

1.Improve your health and quality of life
2.Enjoy the gentle tai chi movements
3.Improve relax and harmony
4.Enjoy learning an art that you can continue to grow and progress
5.Improve muscular strength, fitness and flexibility
6.Enjoy camaraderie of tai chi friends
7.Improve balance and confidence
8.Better mood, with lower levels of depression, stress, and anxiety
9.Greater aerobic capacity and muscle strength
10.More energy and stamina
11.Enhanced flexibility, balance, and agility
12.Lowerblood pressureand improved heart health

Aside from the health benefits, tai chi runs deep and strong. It’s easy to learn and becomes a way of life for many practitioners. Yet, because of its depth, no one ever knows it all, and thereby lies the fascination and the never-ending challenge of the art. There will be times, no matter how brief, when a practitioner will enter a mental stage of tranquillity, moving to a different world, time, and space, a world where there is no schedule, no hustle and bustle. Yet the person still feels very much a part of the world. In a non-religious sense, it’s a spiritual experience. Such an experience is so satisfying that it is beyond words. Being part of the world, being in harmony with the world and nature, thus is the paradox of tai chi, health and beyond.

It is this harnessing of mental and physical energy that makes Tai Chi not just a form of exercise; it makes it a life enhancing experience.

Read more about the https://www.taichikungfuinchina.com/tai-chi-for-health/ (https://www.taichikungfuinchina.com/tai-chi-for-health/)

GeneChing
04-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Beginner Tai Chi for Health DVD Autographed by Helen Liang! Contest ends 5:00 p.m. PST on 4/25/2019.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com//admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/images/ezine/1128_Beginner-Tai-Chi-for-Health-Sweepstake.jpg

THREADS
Emei Master Helen Liang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?23064-Emei-Master-Helen-Liang)
Tai chi for health (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70946-Tai-chi-for-health)

GeneChing
04-29-2019, 02:09 PM
See our WINNERS: Beginner Tai Chi for Health on DVD autographed by Helen Liang thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71289-WINNERS-Beginner-Tai-Chi-for-Health-on-DVD-autographed-by-Helen-Liang).

THREADS
Emei Master Helen Liang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?23064-Emei-Master-Helen-Liang)
Tai chi for health (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70946-Tai-chi-for-health)

SPJ
05-03-2019, 03:17 PM
Proper diet and regular exercise are all important for your health.

Spa message is good, too.

:cool: