PDA

View Full Version : Qi and Wing Chun

Spectre
11-12-2001, 05:48 AM
I was talking with a friend tonight and we were discussing what we feel Qi really is and what it does for Wing Chun.

Is it internal energy that we must build?
Is it existing energy that we must learn to use?
Is it a gimmick to help us believe in potential power?

I would like to know what everyone's definition of Qi is and why it is important to Wing Chun. It would also be great to hear how you train or 'build' your Qi.

Kevin
__________________________________________________ _____________

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

joy chaudhuri
11-12-2001, 06:30 AM
The literature is extensive and one can still write volumes.There are many meanings and contexts for understanding chi. For martial arts and particularly wing chun it has to do with
the flow of energy and the life force... storing chi... controlling it with intent and balancing it with the external world. The sil lim tao when done with the right structure, the right intent,
the right balance, the right motion, the right breath, the right timing and the right mind.. is a very great vehicle towards the mastering of chi.Nothing mysterious. Just correct practice over time.

jameswebsteruk
11-15-2001, 02:01 PM
IMO, its a gimmick. Its just good technique and years of experience.
You certainly dont need to study or understand the principles behind it to be a good fighter, or to use Wing Chun effectively.

WSL, for example, totally wrote it off as a myth.

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Ish
11-15-2001, 03:03 PM
You certainly dont need to study or understand the principles behind it to be a good fighter, or to use Wing Chun effectively.

I think your right that you don't need to understand but im sure it will greatly help if you do. Have you ever heard someone that has trained in internal arts for a long time say that it hasn't helped them and they wish they hadn't.

Chum Kil
11-15-2001, 05:08 PM
"Is it internal energy that we must build?"

Yes, I believe it is. Doing Zhan Zhaung is a very good way to do this (storing). Doing SLT very slowly is also a good way. You must also learn how to release energy thru Yi (intent).

"Is it a gimmick to help us believe in potential power?"

There are alot of instructors that use tricks to show students what they can do. That is what they are tricks. I have seen examples of good energy transfer and I believe it is true.

"IMO, its a gimmick. Its just good technique and years of experience."

Gimmick yes and no. I totally believe that good technique and years of experience are truly benefical.

"You certainly dont need to study or understand the principles behind it to be a good fighter, or to use Wing Chun effectively."

Again yes and no. To understand energy and Yi will help you tremedously in a fight. Also in my lineage we do not do Chi Jerk or standing on one leg to help balance, or the plum blossom poles, and a few other things that some of the other lineages do. By not doing these things will I not become a good fighter? I believe not.

I believe most Wing Chun schools are OK. What suits you best is what is most important, not what lineage.

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.