PDA

View Full Version : Tracing IP addresses? (slightly off topic, sorry)

gazza99
11-05-2001, 04:14 AM
Just curious if anyone here knows how to trace an IP address from say an email addy for ex. Or if that persons visits (posts) on a website?(Either your website or someone elses) I can trace .com's and IP's to a physical location already, but I havent learned how to find IP's..any thoughts? Any good hackers in here have any ideas on this one?
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

prana
11-05-2001, 04:27 AM
Find the headers of the mail.
If you are using outlook, its under properties.
You will see the "SMTP received from IP address"
which is the the IP at which the mail was sent from.
About your website, if the website is on your server, you need to look at the logs, there should be IP addresses of all websites sending requests for data. If it is IIS, it is simple.
If the website is not on your server, but you own it, perhaps you have some sort of administration options fom your website provider. Sometimes they give you statistical tables for who has been using your website.
If it is someone elses website, you need of course to ask them for such information.

ewallace
11-05-2001, 03:49 PM
If YOUR webpage allows scripting then you can use the REMOTE_ADDR cgi variable to obtain an IP address. However this is useless if that user is coming through a proxy server.

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

Kung Lek
11-05-2001, 05:32 PM
Trace the Ip via the ISP.

Look in the mime header for the origin address, ping it, do a who is and write an e-mail to abuse@xxx asking for the name of the offending member.

proxy servers and firewalls nat Ip address to a range, most isp use natted Ip's or proxy servers for the protection of their clients.

Plenty of ip addresses are dynamic under this protocol but they will still be in a range and the server admin will know the ip assigned to what computer on what day.

There are ways to have someone blocked from sending to you also, if you are offended by some messages you receive, just block the sender through your mail client tools.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

gazza99
11-05-2001, 05:46 PM
Excellent, thanks guys!!

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Nexus
11-05-2001, 06:57 PM
Gary, as long as your site is running on a unix machine and the machine is running Apache server, you should have two files..

access_logs and error_logs - Here is how it is setup on my webhosting machine.

/home/website.com/logs/access_log
/home/website.com/logs/error_log

access_log - All the people who access the site's IP's, what date they access, what file they access, how many times they access it that day.

error_log - Files that people attempted at accessing but could not be found in the directory /home/website.com/html/

- Nexus