PDA

View Full Version : WC judo and the 1 inch punch

Tainan Mantis
11-13-2001, 06:19 AM
In a previous post called WC and mantis I asked how WC would deal with a sleeve grabbing fighter if both wore that type of clothing.

I understand that WC is famous for its 1 inch punch. This seems like a good tactic to use against a sleeve grab-or both sleeves grabbed- as there is sure to be at least an inch of leeway to deliver such a technique.

So why didn't anyone mention this technique?
And do you think it would wwork?
Or have you already done it on a sleeve grabber?

straight blast
11-13-2001, 12:05 PM
Good question. I'm pretty curious myself. I have no personal experience of this technique but I would assume that it'd be good up close. Somebody enlighten me!

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Martin Foot
11-13-2001, 12:34 PM
Inch punch is really a demonstration technique; it shows the principle that with good structure one can generate a large amount of power in a very short distance. One would theoretically be attempting to applying these principles in all strikes.

Regards
Martin Foot
Body Mind & Spirit Kung Fu

joy chaudhuri
11-13-2001, 04:23 PM
One inch punch is a demo. The key is issuing short power immediately upon contact.

Martin Foot
11-13-2001, 04:56 PM
What are you trying to suggest in your statement Chaudhuri

Martin Foot

joy chaudhuri
11-13-2001, 05:01 PM
Clear as daylight to me. I was agreeing with your previous statement.

joy chaudhuri
11-13-2001, 06:00 PM
You asked about- why not an one inch punch against a grab. A one inch punch is just for demo.
Good wing chun does NOT depend on a single technique...much dpends on knowing the open line.
But the principle of short hand explosive power remains.Depending on the sensing- the grabbers
grabbing hand can come crashing back into the grabbers face or body-destabilizing him to boot.
best not to grab a good wing chun person. Since you are in another style apparently- I am not sure whther I am being clear enough to you.

Bessho
11-13-2001, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Clear as daylight to me. [/quote]
Yuan - enjoyed dat pun. most ppl don't start w/ foot on the right track. 1" is one of lord bruce's many excellent demonstration devices... tho few can do it like he did.

anybody seen sammy kwok's starts-at-1-inch-pulls-back-6-inches-then-punch 1-inch-punch-demonstration?

Martin Foot
11-13-2001, 07:23 PM
My appoligies Chaudhuri, I wasn't clear of the tone of your the comment.

Regards
Martin Foot

yenhoi
11-14-2001, 05:37 AM
The demo version is done on the tip of the solar plexus - do some research on that part of the body and lo - what happens when you strike that point really hard? Muscle contractions, blah blah - person goes flying.

Correct body mechanics is what makes the punch - similar power generation when 'shooting fingers.'

Actually using that against a person in combat is difficult and rare? For me anyways.

strike!

vingtsunstudent
11-14-2001, 06:32 AM
having been a boucer for many years i can tell you that utilising short range power is for more than just for demos.
on more than one occassion i had to deal with very angry people getting right in my face, at this range all you have is short range power & i an in all honesty say that i have used the 1 inch punch to stop things from escalating.
one guy in particular i dropped cold for about 2 minutes, while he got his breath back he had time to think over his actions.he also had a friend with him whom i knew from the niteclub & this guy said his friend was still talking about my strike weeks later & that he'd never been hit so hard in his life.
if performed correctly you will not send your opponent flying like in demos but instead you will find that they will fall straight to the ground in a heap.
the principles of short range power can also be applied to any strike(ie a strike with your shoulder, elbow etc)
vts

Tainan Mantis
11-14-2001, 07:26 AM
I understand you and have gotten a good answer to my question.

whippinghand
11-20-2001, 09:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bessho:
1" is one of lord bruce's many excellent demonstration devices... tho few can do it like he did.
[/quote]

I would hope so, since he was doing it wrong.

curtis
11-23-2001, 08:40 PM
his name is James DeMile
An Early student of Bruce Lees,and the founder of WingChunDo.
and if you dont belive any one can learn the one inch punch just ask Mr Wally Jay. (he learned how to do the punch in his 70s and "BOY" can he do it too!).

joy chaudhuri
11-24-2001, 04:29 AM
Mr. Demille a Bruce Lee associate from Seattle days indeed has a powerful punch from what I understand. However the delivery system and wing chun do is structurally quite different from
wing chun.The one inch punch is justa demo item.
The key in wing chun is the development of "short
power" wothout muscling it. Wally Jay in one of his early books gives credit to Lee for showing some things that led to small circle ideas.
Actually, wing chun has small circle principles
deeply buried in the art.

whippinghand
11-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Are you suggesting that "Lord Bruce" did not do the "inch punch" properly, so therefore Demille was not doing it right?

joy chaudhuri
11-24-2001, 12:40 PM
yes

(gee I am learning brevity!!)

curtis
11-24-2001, 04:19 PM
Wing Chun's flooting punch is different than James DeMiles's or Bruce Lee's flooting punch,
But to say one is correct and the other isnt? come on! IT WORKS! and thats what is imporant.
Or perhaps, whats inporant is can you do it?or use the basic princables to creat power?
WHO knows? but learning to creat or use that kind of power is realy something,I belive its a good goal to work for.
Just a few thoughts.
have a good day. C.A.G. ;)

whippinghand
11-24-2001, 08:02 PM
Sure, it may work..... But don't call it "inch punch"...

joy chaudhuri
11-24-2001, 08:54 PM
Sure Curtis Demille's punch can "work" under the right conditions. So can the good wing chun punch
Demille's punch is just not wing chun. There are many different sources and kinds of "power".
Depends on what one wants to learn. If it is wing chun, best to learn the wing chun punch froma good wing chun teacher. To Demille's credit he has stuck to the improvement of his own way unlike
some jkd folks to whom anything goes.

jameswebsteruk
11-25-2001, 05:25 PM
Havent seen Sam Kwok do it, but have seen other
instructors from his lineage doing it the same way. Laughable at the time, but, there you go.

This guy also did the old "lie on a bed of nails and smash a tile on the chest with a sledgehammer" trick, expecting us to be impressed, as if no-one there had even an elementary grasp of physics.

Now, do the same thing on a bed of 1 nail, and Id be more impressed!

H3ll, there was even some WC guy on a Derren Brown Mind Control programme on tv a few months back, doing the 1 inch punch. Sure enough, the elbow suddenly jerks back and turns it into a 12inch punch. Must be magic!

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!