PDA

View Full Version : Does It Matter?

bao
11-13-2001, 09:08 PM
Recently with a friend of mine whom I respect and love like a true brother. He and I came from the same traditional wing chun school in nyc, but then I left the school to join "the modified" wing chun of Lee Sifu in Queens, NY.

Well, he said that all he wanted to do with traditional wing chun was "to defend himself" and I agreed. Why the hell study the martial arts if you are not going to be able to defend yourself? He said that I was really serious about my wing chun like he was serious about computers. By the way, my friend is a gifted tech person.

Well, the way i see it with people is that yes it is good that pople are studying the martial arts but there is never a stopping point when you study the way. I do not think there anything wrong with being serious with the arts and trying to explore it everyday.

The problem simply is that many people separate gung fu from their daily life. Gung fu is a way of life and has been compared to life by many gung fu artists. But what does that mean?

E.g. If you are married, you don't separate your spouse from your real life. You don't hide the ring when you go outside, right? Perhaps some... =) I hope that marriage isn't a separate part of people's lives but an element which they don't treat as a hobby but simply work together as one naturally.

Gung fu can work the same way. Because once you separate your gung fu from your life, you are not practicing gung fu but a life less art. If you separated your marriage from your real life, then what kind of marriage do you have? Hence, my question is does it matter?

Gung fu isn't everything, but it isn't a hobby either.

Bao

Abstract
11-13-2001, 09:22 PM
yo man i hear EXACTLY what you're saying. BUT for some ppl, it is just a hobby. And sometimes it's a matter of priority. Some ppl may like something alot, but not enough to take it to a level that others might. Like yourself, you're obviously intent on following the path you've chosen, however your friend, from what you've said, might not be. The interest may be there, but his heart may lay somewhere else. Like you said, he's a gifted tech. So does it matter? I guess it's all up to each individual to decide on how much it matters to them, and make the decision accordingly. That's my take.

btw, you know me

-------------------------
In mildness is the strength of steel

bao
11-13-2001, 09:37 PM
it funny that the people that know me here are probably my sihings, i purposely used my real name because i feel that i want people to know me. plus i don't talk crash without people knowing my real name and to know where to look for me to beat me up... =)

be well abstract if that is your real name.

Abstract
11-13-2001, 09:51 PM
you still online? IM me: Abstrakdt

Bessho
11-14-2001, 09:23 AM
bao - if you have a way to achieve your goals. have a good teacher and good kung fu family. youre better off than the lot of us. more power to you.

abstract: btw, you know me
is that an accusation in the biblical sense? :eek: :rolleyes:

Abstract
11-14-2001, 11:04 PM
ha ha, nah, me & bao r cool ppls... :cool:

mun hung
11-15-2001, 11:13 AM
Bao - so this is what you do when you're not in class, huh? "Modified" keyboard Wing Chun? :D

Abstract - whazup nigga??? Tried calling you today. When are you coming down again? My Sifu is definitely going to set up different workshops every month. Call me.

As far as marriage is concerned - I wish people would stop mentioning that around me so much,(been happening alot lately) cause it reminds me of how close I'm getting to it.
:eek:

It takes effort to learn to do something effortlessly.

bao
11-15-2001, 03:36 PM
Mun Hung,

Whats up, dude?

When I am at work this what I do when the manager is not looking... Ha! Is there a cold going around again? I have a head cold again, I hope it isn't serious. Hung, I will see on Sunday if your're going to be there.

BTW, Mr. Hung, if that is his real name, is my sihing.

bao

Abstract
11-15-2001, 05:59 PM
whutup ppls? doin ahhite?

munhung, i just left you a voicemail man...i meant to call you back yesterday but got mad busy..then me & wifey went out..so, that was that. gimme a call man!