PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with more than one attacker...

Duncan
11-15-2001, 02:16 PM
A question, or two, for the more experienced Wing Chunners posting here...

With WC's emphasis on bridging and closing the gap, what are the principles for dealing with multiple attackers? Does sticking to an opponent place you in danger when there is another attacker coming in from another angle?

There have been quite a number of posts here regarding WC footwork - how can it be utilised when three or four attackers are closing in?

Personally, I have problems enough dealing with one attacker, but I ask these questions out of interest. Being attacked in the street is likely to involve several people it would seem.

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (message on general Kung Fu forum)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

Duncan
11-15-2001, 04:54 PM
Come on - I know you're not all away from your PCs and Macs practising SLT. Well, with all this talk of "four-hour first form", perhaps you are!

I at least expected something cryptic from Whipping Hand. :p

Whipping Hand... despite the foaming at the mouth your previous posts have caused with other readers, I quite enjoy them - which is unusual because my ex-girlfriend was Canadian and I now have a loathing for the bloody Maple Leaf and that whittering PM of yours :)

Ah, a political post in its truest form!

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (message on general Kung Fu forum)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

fmann
11-15-2001, 05:05 PM
"With WC's emphasis on bridging and closing the gap, what are the principles for dealing with multiple attackers? Does sticking to an opponent place you in danger when there is another attacker coming in from another angle?"

The principles are the same as in most methods of dealing with multiple attackers -- put them down as aggressively and quickly as possible. Sticking to an opponent and playing patty-cake with them is an extreme no-no in every WC school; you stick as long as necessary to take control of the situation. And in multiple attacker situations, you have to take control immediately and manipulate your opponents effectively.

"There have been quite a number of posts here regarding WC footwork - how can it be utilised when three or four attackers are closing in?"

The simple forward step with chain punches is effective on the get-go to deal with one opponent's initial advance. Then you're going to have to use side stepping and cross-stepping and try to use the attackers as shields against each other. For example, you might chain punch one guy and joint lock him and use him as a shield to prevent the others from closing on you as quickly. Then you may manuever yourself a bit, push/kick the guy you're joint locking away and run.

when it comes down to multiple attackers, there aren't that many ways to do it, regardless of style.

whippinghand
11-15-2001, 08:17 PM
One of the many reasons, one should not fight square.

chi-kwai
11-15-2001, 11:53 PM
I would love to hear you explain this one.

--
chi kwai

fmann
11-16-2001, 12:12 AM
Multiple opponents...

One of the many reasons, one should not fight square.

It depends on what you mean by square. If you mean fighting squarely facing 1 opponent (and hence blind to the others), then yes I agree. If you mean fighting squared off and facing all the opponents within your field of vision / action, then no, I disagree.

But it could be that "squaring off" to you and I are different things, WH. Please clarify how you interpret "square."

vingtsunstudent
11-16-2001, 04:29 AM
in dealing with multiple opponents there are are a few simple things you can do that may help the outcome go your way.
1. if possible always try to stay on the outside of the group attacking you, this should hopefully put at least that person between you & the others.simple stepping should be used- don't over complicate things.
2.believe it or not it is always a good idea to get your back against a wall which should stop you being attacked from behind.
wanking hand, why again would you not face your opponent(s)? how about this time you give us more than your pathetic one word answers that really don't justify anything you have to say.
vts

S.Teebas
11-16-2001, 04:35 AM
Something good one of my instructors once told me was to use a door way if possible. This limits the attackers coming form behind or either side, this way they mainly attack you from infront until they can get past you.
We did a in class 'test' where about 3 or 4 of us got destroyed while he was doing this :) ..so yeah i think it's an effective and poved fact!

S.Teebas

Martial Joe
11-16-2001, 04:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>wanking hand, why again would you not face your opponent(s)? [/quote]

Maybe he ment run...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

whippinghand
11-16-2001, 08:27 AM
"how about this time you give us more than your pathetic one word answers that really don't justify anything you have to say"

To the idiot, of course it wouldn't make sense.

What's the difference between my writing short answers that are not understood by MOST, and your essays that don't say anything valuable other than what is COMMON understanding?

vingtsunstudent
11-16-2001, 09:24 AM
if it is common understanding then why didn't you offer it as an exlpanation to someone who asked a valid question.
my beliefs are that you have not even had to deal with one opponent let alone multiple, unless of coarse we count all those nasty 3 year olds picking on you in the sandpit.
vts

Gluteus Maximus
11-16-2001, 02:37 PM
Deal with the nearest attacker first, then the next closest, etc.

Max