PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving

Sean Madigan
11-21-2000, 03:19 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving! May this holiday season bring all that you wish for!

All the best,

"BIG" Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

phantom
11-21-2000, 10:05 PM
And may you have many more, Sean! Peace, live long, and prosper!

rogue
11-22-2000, 06:54 AM
You too Sean!

BTW How's the diet going if you don't mind me asking?

I used to be daga

Sean Madigan
11-22-2000, 02:04 PM
Hi rouge,

The diet is going well my friend! Thanks for asking. I am on the way!

BIG Sean Madigan

www.bigkd.com (http://www.bigjkd.com)

Badger
11-19-2001, 09:27 PM
May all the Kung fu people,Grapplers & trolls with their family & friends gather together for a day of thanks around a big table of toast,jelly beans & pretzels!

Hope yawl have a happy,safe holiday!

Badger

KungFuGuy!
11-19-2001, 09:48 PM
What's with you Americans and your late thanksgiving? The holiday was over a month a go, you're living in the past!

Badger
11-19-2001, 10:00 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you a month ago!

Badger

Chang Style Novice
11-19-2001, 10:01 PM
Grampa Simpson - "Every year at Thanksgiving we'd have Walking Bird with all the trimmings! Cranberry sauce, injun eyes, and yams stuffed with gunpowder..."

Happy thanksgiving, and for God's sake, don't overcook the yams!

Shaolindynasty
11-19-2001, 10:44 PM
Thanksgiving was a month ago? Does time stop on this forum? Where.......... am............. I?

www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

Jaguar Wong
11-19-2001, 10:52 PM
Cause we're not thankful for crap that happened a month ago in your country, we're thankful for crap that happened here ;)

Besides, it's not until Thursday anyway.

Jaguar Wong
The 6th Deadly Venom!

Jaguar's Wife (To "Judo" Gene Lebell): "Excuse me, my friend (Tigerstyle) wants to know if we can take a picture of you choking him."
Gene LeBell (in a gravely voice): "If he don't mind, I don't mind."
- actual event from DragonFest 1999

alecM
11-19-2001, 11:02 PM
Thanksgiving is just another foreign custom.

Fear not the man who has learned one thousand kicks, fear the man who has practiced one kick a thousand times.

MaFuYee
11-19-2001, 11:10 PM
http://mytwobeadsworth.com/Thanksgiving2.html

The National Day of Mourning
A different `Thanksgiving' Perspective by Terri Jean

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Brothers, we must be one as the English are, or we shall soon all be destroyed!" -- Miantinomo (Narraganset) 1642. He was executed by the colonists and their Indian government allies in 1643.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It's that time of year. The holiday originated by poor Pilgrims and their neighborly Indian friends is about to be set again on Americas' kitchen table. With televised parades and football games, families gather together to give thanks for the previous year, and to inject heartfelt hope into the year to follow.

All the while a growing number of protesters gather yearly in Plymouth, Massachusetts to mourn the traditional feast. Well, not the feast itself or even the thankfulness it is meant to instill; they grieve the fictional foundation the national holiday sits upon, and with each passing year those protesters continue to feel the incessant societal slap dispensed to this continents first people.

Myth verses Fact

Like most American schoolchildren, my curriculum included learning the traditional Pilgrim/Indian tale. You know the story: Chastised Pilgrims seeking religious freedom settle Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1620 and after a harsh, starving winter the neighboring Indians rally to their side and demonstrate how to cultivate food and live off the land. In celebration of harvest, the two groups rejoice in feast and fun in 1621. Since then, and officially in 1898, this country has reenacted that moment by sharing food and drink with neighbors and loved ones.

So how much of the Pilgrim/Indian tale is true? Most of what is known of this time is based on first-hand accounts of Governor William Bradford and another colony leader, Edward Winslow. Some information from the New England first people has been orally passed down from generation to generation, and the rest is a blend of English record-keeping and European patriotic fiction.

Who were the Pilgrims and the Indians?

The Pilgrims were not simple refugees from England fighting against oppression and religious discrimination. They were political revolutionaries and part of the Puritan movement considered objectionable and unorthodox by the King of the Church of England. Outcasts and fugitives in their own homeland, they plotted to take over the government. When unsuccessful, they had to relocate or face prosecution. After several attempts at finding a suitable new home, they elected to try their luck in the New World. Here they thought they could build their own promised land.

The Pilgrims also thought themselves as `chosen' Biblical people and saw America's first inhabitants as heathens; products of the devil. In a written text from a sermon in 1623, Mather the Elder praised God for the plagues racing through Native villages. He cheered the death of "chiefly young men and children, the very seeds of increase, thus clearing the forests to make way for a better growth." The "better growth" was, of course, the Pilgrims themselves.

It should also be noted that these same Pilgrims who today are admired for their religious convictions and devotion to religious freedom - would not allow the Native Americans to have that same privilage.They looked at the Natives as savages without a religion. The Reverend John Elliot said his intent was to "wynn [win] the natives of the country to the knowledge and obedience of the onlie [only] true God and Savior and mankinde."

Just as the Pilgrims were not the wholesome people portrayed today, the hospitable, helpful Indian characterization is also incorrect. In actuality, the New England Natives were untrusting of Europeans due to their hostile contact with outsiders since 1497. Still remembering the expedition of Captain Thomas Hunt in 1614, who captured 27 people (including Squanto) to sell into slavery, the aboriginal people had good reason to suspect the Pilgrims of ominous deceit.

The `first' Thanksgiving wasn't a Thanksgiving at all In December of 1620 a splinter group of England's Puritan movement set anchor on American soil, a land already inhabited by the Wampanoag Indians. Having been unprepared for the bitter cold weather,and arriving too late to grow an adequate food supply, nearly half of the 100 settlers did not survive the winter.

On March 16th, 1621, a Native Indian named Samoset met the Englishmen for the first time. Samoset spoke English, as did Squanto, another bilingual Patuxet who would later serve as interpreter between the colonist and the Wampanoag Indians, lead by Chief Massasoit. A peace treaty was agreed upon between Governor John Carver and Chief Massasoit, and 12,000 acres of land was granted to the colonists.

As for the infamous 1621 feast we Americans refer to as `The First Thanksgiving' - the reasons and events are speculative. Some say, as we've been taught, that the meal was a feast of appreciation between two different groups of people celebrating a successful harvest and friendship. Others say it was a meeting over land title and treaty matters - an `official conference' between two nations ... and nothing more. And yet there are authors who claim the dinner was a sympathetic gesture from the Natives who took pity on the Pilgrims.

When examining the reality of that time, the probable explanation was the land and peace treaty meeting. Personally, I doubt if there were actual profound kinships between the two. History had already set in place feelings of distrust. The English probably knew of the French who were killed on the eastern shore before them, and the Indians knew of English, Spanish and French who had come to their lands to kidnap their people. With that history it is doubtful that either community opened their arms to their neighbor, especially the Native people who originally held the land and may of looked to the Pilgrims as invadors. It is probable, though, that the two nations were hospitable and eagerly agreed upon peace between them. Neither, I would assume, would invite conflict into their communities; an amicable relationship would of been desired by all parties involved.

In 1622 propaganda started to circulate about what would LATER be referred to as the `First Thanksgiving'."Mourts Relation", a book written to publicize the so-called wonderfulness of Plymouth, told of the meeting as a friendly feast with the Natives. The Pilgrims glamorized the situation, possibly in an effort to encourage more Puritans to settle in their area. By stating that the Native community was warm and open-armed, the newcomers would be more likely to feel secure in their journey to New England.

An End to Peace

Though Massasoit agreed to peace with the English, other Native Indians did not. As their land was seized and occupied from Maine to Connecticut, various tribal communities fought back. When one group would raid a village, the other would retaliate. Often times the English, who eventually greatly outnumbered the aboriginal people, would massacre entire villages.

In 1637 700-800 Pequot Indian women, men and children gathered in their village for an annual celebration. Unbeknownst to them, they were surrounded by English who burned them alive while in their homes and buildings. Those who tried to escape were killed.

When Massasoit died in 1656 it would be the end to peace established between the colony and the Wampanoag. Massasoit's son, known as Alexander, inherited his father's duty but when Alexander died under mysterious circumstances following a meeting with the Pilgrims, conflicts would erupt. Massasoit's youngest son, Metacoment (called King Philip by the English) became chief at the young age of 24. Always leery of the settlers, and with the death of his brother, which he blamed on poison from the Pilgrims, his father's dedication to peace dissipated.

As the colonies grew in size, so did the need for more land. The Pilgrims, once few in number, swelled to well over 40,000. The Wampanoag strength weaken to a few thousand - mostly due to disease and warfare. The atmosphere between the two cultures was aggressive and in 1675 King Philip called for reinforcements from neighboring tribes.

When word reached the English that King Philip was gathering forces, they took militant action and soon a war broke out between the two. What would later be known as King Philips War began in 1675. That same year the Plymouth Pilgrims captured 112 Indians and sold them into slavery. King Philip fought with joining tribes but to no avail. They were outnumbered and in 1676 the war was over. On July 22, 1676 the English rounded up what was left of Philips people and sold every male over the age of 14 into slavery. All others would be servants to the Pilgrims. Philips wife and 9 year old son were also sold, and Philip - who was then thought to be a demon - was killed, quartered and his head would be displayed in Plymouth for nearly 30 years.

"The English disarmed my people. They tried them by their own laws, and assessed damages my people could not pay." King Philip, 1676

The REAL Thanksgiving

The 1621 feast between the Pilgrims and the Indians was not the official first Thanksgiving. That title goes to a 1637 celebration, proclaimed `Thanksgiving' by Governor Winthrop, an event honoring those who participated in the massacre of the 700-800 Pequot Indians in Connecticut.

On June 20, 1676 - following the victory over King Philip and his people - the council of Charlestown, Massachusetts unanimously voted to proclaim June 29 as a day of celebration and Thanksgiving. The following statement was read:

"The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst of his judgments he hath remembered mercy, having remembered his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion, and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened, and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them, without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been sensible of, if it be the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed, It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the Lord should take notice under so many Intimations of his returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading him with our Complaints in the time of pressing Afflictions.

The National Day of Mourning

The first National Day of Mourning was held on "Thanksgiving Day" in 1970. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts invited Wampanoag leader, Wamsutta, to the towns 350th anniversary of the pilgrims landing in hope he'd represent the indigenous component of the national holiday and deliver a speech to the townspeople. When the event organizers read a copy of Wamsutta's speech, he was uninvited for the following reason: "...the theme of the anniversary celebration is brotherhood and anything inflammatory would have been out of place." What was so frightening about Wamsuttas speech? It told the TRUTH about the pilgrims, their slave-trading, their discretion of the dead, theft of Wampanoag food and of their true relationship with the Native people. When the Massachusetts Commonwealth attempted to silence his position, he took his speech outside and spoke to hundreds of supporters and initiated what would later be a yearly tradition of protest and historical truth.

Since 1970, the National Day of Mourning protest has met with resistance and opposition from Plymouth residents, Pilgrim fans, and from the media. In 1997, mourners walking through Plymouth were met by more than 50 officers. After the crowd was "dispersed," 25 protesters were arrested (many of which went on to file charges against the police for brutality.) In 1998, a settlement was reached between Plymouth and the protesters, with town officials agreeing to pay $100,000 to the Metacom Education Fund, $15,000 for the erection of two historical plaques, and to provide support and public education for United American Indians of New England (UAINE) and the National Day of Mourning demonstration.

In 1999, on the 30th anniversary of Wamsutta's "uninvite," two plaques were dedicated to crimes against the American Indians. Over 800 people attended the National Day of Mourning Rally. Within house, Plymouth then paraded down the street in their annual "Pilgrim's Progress" - dressed as Pilgrims and carrying muskets and Bibles - to commemorate the survivor's of the Pilgrim's first winter.

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

Budokan
11-20-2001, 05:31 AM
Wonder what the indigenous folks'll be doing in good ol' Afghanistan this Thanksgiving? Besides dying, I mean.

Oh, well, whatever happens let's not forget our troops over there. I'm thankful for them for putting their lives on the line so we can sit down to a peaceful dinner Thursday.

K. Mark Hoover

Ryu
11-20-2001, 10:54 AM
Oh, just eat your **** turkey!

:rolleyes:

;)

Ryu

http://home.vobis.net/user/roy/anime/images/streetfighter15.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

scotty1
11-20-2001, 11:02 AM
"Wonder what the indigenous folks'll be doing in good ol' Afghanistan this Thanksgiving? Besides dying, I mean."

Tasteless. :(

Budokan
11-20-2001, 07:09 PM
No, the turkey we'll have tomorrow will be quite tasty. And I won't be losing any sleep because a bunch of Taliban f*cks are being killed on Thursday, either. With any luck Osama Bin Laden's brains will be splattered all over a cave, making it a perfect holiday. :)

K. Mark Hoover

Badger
11-20-2001, 07:13 PM
Oh, well, whatever happens let's not forget our troops over there. I'm thankful for them for putting their lives on the line so we
can sit down to a peaceful dinner Thursday.

K. Mark Hoover

-Exactly,Budokan!

Badger

phantom
11-20-2001, 09:47 PM
Well, I hope everybody has a happy, safe, healthy day tomorrow whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not. I will also keep our troops in Afghanistan in my prayers. Peace. :D

don bohrer
11-20-2001, 09:51 PM
May everyone of you enjoy this thanksgiving with friends and family.

Denvers Gonna win!!!

rogue
11-20-2001, 09:55 PM
"Wonder what the indigenous folks'll be doing in good ol' Afghanistan this Thanksgiving? Besides dying, I mean."
'Tasteless'

Actually I hear that the Taliban taste like chicken. :D

Throw another Osama on the barby.

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

Shaolin36
11-20-2001, 09:58 PM
Yahoo-Im leavin work early, have a Happy ThanksGiving.

Peace,

Shaolin36

Badger
11-20-2001, 10:03 PM
Badger

:D

MaFuYee
11-20-2001, 10:15 PM
wave that plastic flag!

- neque mibi quisquam Judaeorum fabulas objiciat.

Badger
11-20-2001, 10:25 PM
Does anyone have a recipe for Osama bin Casserole?

Badger

Sihing73
11-22-2001, 01:38 AM
Hello All,

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and Safe and Joyous Holiday Season.

I think that most of us have reasons to be thankful during this time of the year. It is a time to reflect and count our blessings. I have found and believe that no matter how bad we may have it there is always someone who is in worse condition. Not to trivialize anyones hardship but I urge each of us to look beyond any pain we experieince and seek out the "silver lining".

Again I wish each and everyone the very best.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
11-22-2001, 03:43 AM
I'm grateful that you haven't deleted as many of my posts, lately.

taltos
11-27-2002, 03:58 PM
To those who celebrate it... Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

To those who don't, you'll just have to settle for a safe and happy weekend. :D

-Levi

Savi
11-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Sihing Levi,

Pass the Tan Sao! Enjoy the harmony Sihing.

-Savi.:cool:

PaulH
11-26-2003, 11:04 AM
I wish you all a happy time among friends and family members on this special holiday. We have much to thank and be grateful for the fortunes and blessings that we have received this year in such troubled time that we live today elsewhere.

Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people — your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.
- Barbara Pierce Bush

kj
11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
To you also, and to all.

That Barbara knows her stuff. :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Phil Redmond
11-26-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm lucky. I get to celebrate both the Canadian and the US Thanksgivings.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

PaulH
11-22-2004, 11:39 AM
You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving thanks each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have and are grateful for, the more will be given you.
- Sarah Ban Breathnach

"Throughout our history, Americans have put their faith in God, and no one can doubt that we have been blessed for it. The earliest settlers of this land came in search of religious freedom. Landing on a desolate shoreline, they established a spiritual foundation that has served us ever since…

While never willing to bow to a tyrant, our forefathers were always willing to get on their knees before God. When catastrophe threatened, they turned to God for deliverance. When the harvest was bountiful, their first thought was thanksgiving to God. " (Ronald Reagan, Proclamation on National Day of Prayer, March 19, 1981).

I like to thank Hendrik personally for his shocking wisdom as well as the quarrelsome and interesting WC tribemen that live on this internet forum! life is so boring without you! =D

Mulong
11-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I hope these simple word finds you all nestle in the bosom of your family, enjoy these moments that are so frail, but so precious...

Happy Thanksgiving...

timmons
12-10-2005, 09:18 AM
OK?:confused:
Thanks?:eek:

GreenCloudCLF
12-10-2005, 10:46 AM
heehee....bosoms....

Eddie
11-22-2006, 10:41 PM
I got some thanks giving emails, and was just curious what day do you celebrate this? I always thought it was celebrated the day before xmas.

Just curious, we dont celebrate this day. I have friends in the usa and want to send them some greetings.
thanks

B-Rad
11-23-2006, 12:22 AM
November 23rd this year... you better get writing :D

Eddie
11-23-2006, 08:34 AM
which explains why i got 20 thanksgiving mails yesterday.

so... happy thanks giving to everyone. :cool:

SPJ
11-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Happy thanx giving!

:)

mickey
11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
I wish you all a belated Happy Thanksgiving. I hope it was safe and enjoyable.

Sincerely,

mickey

Mr Punch
11-28-2006, 04:27 AM
Is that all they get?

You

son

of

a

*****!

NOBODY could enjoy Thanksgiving because you weren't around to greet them!

:mad:

SPJ
11-24-2008, 09:17 AM
with banking and financial crises globally

--

we look for a better day.

we thank for the sunshine. we thank--

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRa4X07jdE

this song always cheers me up.

somewhere over the rainbow or horizon, there is a better place.

things will be better in the future etc.

:D:)

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
yeah happy thanksgiving to you guys in the states.

enjoy your football, beer and turkey!

zhugeliang
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm not thankful that the wushuguans here will be shut down for thanksgiving.

I can't stand turkey, football, and beer.

All I care about is wushu.

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 12:54 PM
enjoy your free day of practice time!

Dale Dugas
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Brothers and sisters,

May you enjoy a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and your clans.

I have a lot to be thankful for and then some.

Enjoy!

Lucas
11-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Same to you man.

Today, I am thankful for Sanjuro's link-fu

uki
11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
i am thankful that the european brothers have blasted apart all the native americans... a nation founded on bloodshed will result in a nation destroyed in bloodshed.

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you Dale.
And you Lucas.

Uki? Not so much. lol :p

David Jamieson
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
i am thankful that the european brothers have blasted apart all the native americans... a nation founded on bloodshed will result in a nation destroyed in bloodshed.

near as i can tell, you're white and you're in america. so go back to the european country you came from?

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Time to slaughter turkies, cut down woodland, oppress native populations and preach religious intolerance, in other words....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Would you believe I actually belong to "Church of the Pilgrims" established by pilgrims in MA?

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
im part native american. as are a lot of folks in the states.

i dont have any family, and i dont celebrate any holidays. im not religious either so thats party in effect. but i'll usually throw in my well wishes with the rest.

to me, from what i see standing outside looking in, holidays like these are about what the spirit of the holiday has evolved into by the people that celebrate. lots of times the people celebrating are completely ignorant of the the facts historically.

there are several holidays that are grounded in absurdity, but what the people have developed as family traditions are what those holidays are really about. in my opinion anyway.

i still think its ironic that i get columbus day off as a federal holiday.

taai gihk yahn
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Time to slaughter turkies, cut down woodland, oppress native populations and preach religious intolerance, in other words....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Would you believe I actually belong to "Church of the Pilgrims" established by pilgrims in MA?

Communist....

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:32 PM

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

You? in a Church?
BBBWWAAHHHAHHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
church of elvis what?

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I belong the the Congregation of the Suculent taco:

WinterPalm
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Oh my...:eek:

Lucas
11-26-2008, 02:36 PM

are you taking applications.

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Communist....

deconstructionist!

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 02:40 PM
You? in a Church?
BBBWWAAHHHAHHAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually belong to a very old and famous church
www.plymouthchurch.org

That doesn't mean I am not a pagan, but I do have a membership there! ;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I actually belong to a very old and famous church
www.plymouthchurch.org

That doesn't mean I am not a pagan, but I do have a membership there! ;)

Man, they'll let anyone join nowadays, even the AntiChrist !
LOL !

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Same to you man.

Today, I am thankful for Sanjuro's link-fu

*bows*
Anytime :D

sanjuro_ronin
11-26-2008, 02:43 PM

That's right biotch !!
:p

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 02:57 PM
who knows religion better than the devil himself ;)

SimonM
11-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I am an un-orthodox pastafarian of the non-piratarian sect.

Lucas
11-26-2008, 04:04 PM
for dramatic effect. (http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/denk2/FlyingSpaghettiMonster.png)

taai gihk yahn
11-26-2008, 05:16 PM
deconstructionist!

anti-semite

Kansuke
11-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Ah, he's Young Goodman Brown.

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
anti-semite

semite posing as a christian!

taai gihk yahn
11-26-2008, 06:06 PM
semite posing as a christian!
tin stacker

lkfmdc
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
tin stacker

tin stack ADJUSTER

Kansuke
11-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Come on, Young Goodman Brown? Nothing?

lkfmdc
11-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Come on, Young Goodman Brown? Nothing?

I saw a porn once called "young, good and brown" :D

SimonM
11-27-2008, 01:34 PM
My co-worker just advised me that he thinks I have a pornographic memory. He went on to say that he is going to go home and listen to some records on his pornograph while his wife prepares a pornocopia of foods for supper.

MasterKiller
11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-22.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-28.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-29.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-30.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-34.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-43.jpg

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/sexy-pocahontas-45.jpg

Syn7
11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
4th one down has disgustingly plastic t!ts!!! thats a turn off for me... i'll take a real B over a fake DDD anyday... mostly because of the peronality and intellectual capacity of somebody insecure enough to go under the knife for over the top aesthetic purposes... like turning nice t!ts into huge melons... the financial opportuities dont override the dimished mentality behind the original emotion causing the thought... its hard for me to respect a woman like that... they just hoes, and they invite bad attention and it is partially their own fault, despite the dysfunctional deviancy it takes to create the other partner in that pathetic tango...

anywhooo, were any a dem hoes even 'native american'(talk about ur misnomer)???

mickey
11-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Greetings,

MasterKiller,

You and sanjuro ronin have something in common. You are both nipplephobic.

mickey

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Nipplephobic ?? WTF is that ??

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:09 AM
http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/8894/turkey_time.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:11 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3_2FCxXqZPQ/TI-khEZtAlI/AAAAAAAAQaY/P4RpAfKb7OM/s1600/sexy-thanksgiving-wallpapers.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:17 AM
http://www.jucoolimages.com/images/sexy_thanksgiving_day/sexy_thanksgiving_day_01.gif

http://www.jucoolimages.com/images/sexy_thanksgiving_day/sexy_thanksgiving_day_06.gif

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:28 AM
http://www.photobasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/sexy-hot-motivational.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 09:30 AM
no nipples

mickey
11-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi sanjuro ronin,

All of those photos proved my case with the exception of the last one with the 7 on it. You guys never show any nipples (laughter). Feminine crop circles are worth viewing because they are always subject to change.

mickey

Lucas
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
they fear the ban!

sanjuro_ronin
11-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi sanjuro ronin,

All of those photos proved my case with the exception of the last one with the 7 on it. You guys never show any nipples (laughter). Feminine crop circles are worth viewing because they are always subject to change.

mickey

Ah, you like the poakies eh!
LMAO !

MasterKiller
11-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi sanjuro ronin,

mickey

Uh...that's because kids read this forum. :confused:

David Jamieson
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
pokey hot ass.

get it? :p

SIFU RON
11-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Have a nice thanksgiving everyone , enjoy the holiday, enjoy your family and friends

best to u

ron shewmaker

goju
11-23-2010, 05:30 PM
same here cheers everyone:D

GeneChing
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Nevertheless, I hope you'll support our forum sponsors for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.martialartsmart.com/) will have lots of holiday specials. And don't forget our other advertisers too - you'll find their badge ads listed under our left-hand side navigation bar at KungFuMagazine.com (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/).

wenshu
11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
http://brightestblue.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/thanksgiving_2008_tofurkey.jpg

The stuff that Thanksgiving disaster stories are made of.

That and Mom drinking a bottle of Jim Beam then lighting the table cloth on fire.

GeneChing
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
...it gives me the winds. :o

This year, my wife took on this challenge from my mom about doing a completely vegan dinner. My mom was a dietitian by trade. We'll see how this goes. :rolleyes:

teetsao
11-23-2010, 07:22 PM
remember the be thankful for all you have this year, and remmeber who to be thankful to.
the GOD that gave this all to us.we are still free.
happy thanksgiving to you all,yes............even the vegetarians.

MasterKiller
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I support Black Friday

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8xBx7ApEPCY/S_58VRsmPNI/AAAAAAAAVfw/B1zHLeAxmTk/s1600/shenekaadams7.jpg

MasterKiller
11-23-2010, 07:29 PM
the GOD that gave this all to us.we are still free..:rolleyes:

wenshu
11-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Being the only vegetarian in my family during Thanksgiving is a great excuse to eat nothing but pie for dinner.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Before this turns into a flame war, Happy Thanksgiving to all you, even the Vegan heathens!:p

Dale Dugas
11-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Happy Birthday to all here at KFO.

To all my brothers, sisters, and even enemies.

May everyone have a great Holiday with their clans.

ironclaw1981
11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Nevertheless, I hope you'll support our forum sponsors for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.martialartsmart.com/) will have lots of holiday specials. And don't forget our other advertisers too - you'll find their badge ads listed under our left-hand side navigation bar at KungFuMagazine.com (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/).

Thanxx gene, as a native american, we don't either

pateticorecords
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, many blessings to all of you and your loved ones!

Lucas
11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
National Day of Mourning is what I recognize tomorrow, because I believe that it is important to remember the truth...

I am thank full every day of my life, I dont need a special day.

However, I hope you all have a great family holiday, those who celibrate.

V.O.R.
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Hello, I'm new to the forum. However, I've been lurking in the shadows in order to get a good read on what this forum is about. Happy to be here.

HAPPY TURKEY DAY

MasterKiller
11-24-2010, 09:58 AM
All of you Native sympathizers do realize that the Indians intimidated the pilgrims into letting them partake in the celebration meal, don't you? Instead of mourning, you should be celebrating by forcing white guys to buy you a beer.

Chief_Suicide
11-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

V.O.R.
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Greetings,

I'd like to respond to the concept of Native Sympathizers. Simply put, the natives were happily living their lives until the arrival of the pilgrims. It's very sad that caucazoid's have invade every space on earth occupied by a native people to eventually push the native people out so more caucazoid's can travel and occupy land that was never theirs in the first place.

I wish the pilgrims would've just remained on the land they were born unto.

bawang
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
*sheds single tear

Lucas
11-24-2010, 10:23 AM
All of you Native sympathizers do realize that the Indians intimidated the pilgrims into letting them partake in the celebration meal, don't you? Instead of mourning, you should be celebrating by forcing white guys to buy you a beer.

ok, come buy me a beer then, beotch :p

I'll still mourn though. :D

im only 1/4 choctaw but my grandfather was full. As a boy, you get some things instilled in you when you are young by the patriarch in your family. we all do. for me, mourning is something i was taught to do as a kid, and I'll never stop. When you talk to a man and you can see in his eyes and his heart that he truly does mourn what was lost...its very powerful.

I can mourn and drink at the same time though, im a multi tasker!

I actually fast on thanksgiving day lol

hskwarrior
11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I'd like to respond to the concept of Native Sympathizers. Simply put, the natives were happily living their lives until the arrival of the pilgrims. It's very sad that caucazoid's have invade every space on earth occupied by a native people to eventually push the native people out so more caucazoid's can travel and occupy land that was never theirs in the first place.

hahahaha them indians should have had the pilgrims for lunch. literally. hahahaha

MasterKiller
11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
ok, come buy me a beer then, beotch

Watch yo mouf calling me white.

GeneChing
11-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Our vegan turkey was really expensive, as expensive as a real turkey. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's even molded to look like one. I wonder if it has a wishbone...:rolleyes:

Have a joyful holiday everyone, no matter what you celebrate tomorrow or how you celebrate it.

Lucas
11-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Watch yo mouf calling me white.

didnt mean to insult you there, kimosabe :p HIGH HOE SILVER, AWAY!!!

:D:eek:

Lucas
11-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Our vegan turkey was really expensive, as expensive as a real turkey. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's even molded to look like one. I wonder if it has a wishbone...:rolleyes:

Have a joyful holiday everyone, no matter what you celebrate tomorrow or how you celebrate it.

are you doing one of those tofurkey things? you should deep fry it lol

GeneChing
11-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Yup, that's what I'm having. My wife got it at Whole Foods.

Like I said early, tofurky gives me the winds. :o

Lucas
11-24-2010, 02:17 PM
haha 'the winds' how polite of you.

deep fry it!!!!!!

teetsao
11-24-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?_encoding=UTF8&node=3760901&field-brandtextbin=Bawang

mickey
11-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Greetings,

May your festivities be safe and enjoyable.

mickey

David Jamieson
11-25-2010, 05:50 AM
I believe it is now called "memesgiving"

so, here's your memes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/kunglek/tumblr_lcei2jxkus1qzcv7no1_400.gif

Yung Apprentice
11-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I support Black Friday

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8xBx7ApEPCY/S_58VRsmPNI/AAAAAAAAVfw/B1zHLeAxmTk/s1600/shenekaadams7.jpg

I wish I was at that black friday! Instead I went to Walmart and almost got beat up by an 80 year old in a scooter!

Syn7
11-27-2010, 09:47 AM
mitakiape

Thanksgiving was going on thousands of years before the pilgrims arrived. I've never been to a native American gathering where lots of food wasnt' given away with a prayer of thanksgiving. Its one families honour to feed everyone else.

Native Americans were not peaceful noble savages, they are people like the rest of us who were busy killing each other, getting by or simply throwing a good party. I'm sure some groups hated the pilgrims and some saw them as strategic allies with useful technology.

To deny the positive aspect of the cultural assimilation between Euro and Native Americans is to deny our collective heritage. We are not European. Our values have been heavily influenced by Native American cultures.

If anything should be protested its that we have made it an exercise in glutony. It should be about cultivating community, sharing, and thanking God for being alive. It should extend beyond our family to include others in the community. Extending the bonds between families forms a tribe...even in a city. We should remember this and have the kind of community that many complain is dissapearing.

Don't cry for the dead centuries past, they would be dead by now anyway, but honour them by preserving the good things they have to teach us to benefit ourselves and our society.

seems like white cats got the better end of the stick... sure, your culture gained great things from native thought.... i'd ask the 20 million natives who occupied america but they arent really around to answer how they benefitted??? whole nations were completely wiped out... whole bloodlines where completely wiped out... so to sit there and say, hay man, we both got good sh!t outta the deal should be str8 up insulting... to trivialize the genocide of almost a whole people isnt right, guy... so what, a few of them have nice things and a few werent raised on any rez... but most of the survivors arent living that well... some of it is their own fault, but there is no doubt as to what would have been better for natives in the americas as far as euros comming or not...

where i live there are lots of natives... we didnt kill as many up here, although we werent very nice either... i personally know more than one native who was sexually abused by the white religious authority in the communities... which isnt as bad as what their parents went thru in the residential schools... so if being molested by a priest is the not so bad story, it gives you a sense of just how bad it was in there... in canada, the last residential school was closed in 1986... nineteen eighty motherfukcing six man!!!!!! yeah they should be so happy with their lot... yaaay no taxes and a red welfare check with your little plot of land you must live on and cant sell... yaay freedom...

but hey, atleast they got something, unlike the 40 acres and a mule bullsh!t that freed african slaves got pawned off with...

oh sh!t, sorry, we werent that nice to you... but were all good now... can we be friends?

SIFU RON
11-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Have a nice one everyone -

Eat, drink, and be merry _ afterwards we diet _ lol :)

GeneChing
11-23-2011, 10:44 AM
As I said last year (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1062254#post1062254), I'm not a big T-day person. Black Friday is another thing altogether. In hopes of a good Black Friday here, one that really puts us in the black, I'm releasing the subscribers discount code (subscribers (http://www.martialartsmart.com/19341.html) always get a 10% discount code with each issue, good for two months). For an extra 10% off, use the discount coupon/promotional code "MIAODAO" when checking out. Offer good until Nov. 30, 2011.

Dale Dugas
11-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I wanted to say I am thankful for my KFO family and wish everyone a most incredible day of thanks.

For those traveling I wish you safe journeys.

Be well!

Lucas
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Just wanted to share for anyone who cares to read. This is not to hate on Thanksgiving day, but just to add a bit of perspective. My grandfather was full blood Choctaw so I've always had a very similar view.

Mostly, I am thankful that I CAN give. Its not always about being thankful for what we have or what we get in this life, but being thankful for what we can do for others and how we can make a beneficial impact in those around us. family and/or community is important, giving is important, and understanding that supporting your family and community is something not everyone has the capability to do.

"I celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving. This may surprise those people who wonder what Native Americans think of this official U.S. celebration of the survival of early arrivals in a European invasion that culminated in the death of 10 to 30 million native people. Thanksgiving to me has never been about Pilgrims. When I was six, my mother, a woman of the Dineh nation, told my sister and me not to sing "Land of the Pilgrim's pride" in "America the Beautiful." Our people, she said, had been here much longer and taken much better care of the land. We were to sing "Land of the Indian's pride" instead. I was proud to sing the new lyrics in school, but I sang softly. It was enough for me to know the difference. At six, I felt I had learned something very important. As a child of a Native American family, you are part of a very select group of survivors, and I learned that my family possessed some "inside" knowledge of what really happened when those poor, tired masses came to our homes. When the Pilgrims came to Plymouth Rock, they were poor and hungry -- half of them died within a few months from disease and hunger. When Squanto, a Wampanoag man, found them, they were in a pitiful state. He spoke English, having traveled to Europe, and took pity on them. Their English crops had failed. The native people fed them through the winter and taught them how to grow their food. These were not merely "friendly Indians." They had already experienced European slave traders raiding their villages for a hundred years or so, and they were wary -- but it was their way to give freely to those who had nothing. Among many of our peoples, showing that you can give without holding back is the way to earn respect. Among the Dakota, my father's people, they say, when asked to give, "Are we not Dakota and alive?" It was believed that by giving there would be enough for all -- the exact opposite of the system we live in now, which is based on selling, not giving. To the Pilgrims, and most English and European peoples, the Wampanoags were heathens, and of the Devil. They saw Squanto not as an equal but as an instrument of their God to help his chosen people, themselves. Since that initial sharing, Native American food has spread around the world. Nearly 70 percent of all crops grown today were originally cultivated by Native American peoples. I sometimes wonder what they ate in Europe before they met us. Spaghetti without tomatoes? Meat and potatoes without potatoes? And at the "first Thanksgiving" the Wampanoags provided most of the food -- and signed a treaty granting Pilgrims the right to the land at Plymouth, the real reason for the first Thanksgiving. What did the Europeans give in return? Within 20 years European disease and treachery had decimated the Wampanoags. Most diseases then came from animals that Europeans had domesticated. Cowpox from cows led to smallpox, one of the great killers of our people, spread through gifts of blankets used by infected Europeans. Some estimate that diseases accounted for a death toll reaching 90 percent in some Native American communities. By 1623, Mather the elder, a Pilgrim leader, was giving thanks to his God for destroying the heathen savages to make way "for a better growth," meaning his people. In stories told by the Dakota people, an evil person always keeps his or her heart in a secret place separate from the body. The hero must find that secret place and destroy the heart in order to stop the evil. I see, in the "First Thanksgiving" story, a hidden Pilgrim heart. The story of that heart is the real tale than needs to be told. What did it hold? Bigotry, hatred, greed, self-righteousness? We have seen the evil that it caused in the 350 years since. Genocide, environmental devastation, poverty, world wars, racism. Where is the hero who will destroy that heart of evil? I believe it must be each of us. Indeed, when I give thanks this Thursday and I cook my native food, I will be thinking of this hidden heart and how my ancestors survived the evil it caused. Because if we can survive, with our ability to share and to give intact, then the evil and the good will that met that Thanksgiving day in the land of the Wampanoag will have come full circle. And the healing can begin." Jacqueline Keeler is a member of the Dineh Nation and the Yankton Dakota Sioux.

Enjoy the time with your loved ones, if you have the chance to do so, and be thankful that you are in a position to help those in need. For us in these times, more so than in recent history, people are in need of a helping hand.

Give it.

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Lucus has grappled the true meaning of Thanksgiving and made it his *****.
Well said Bro.

I am very thankful for you *******s here, truly.
You keep me honest and motivate me, you buttwipes make me want to do and be better and while I can't stand you ****ers at all, I am very thankful for you ****suckers.
On a serious note:
Many traditions we have, if we look back far enough, are probably nothing to be proud of but that is truly irrelevant to WHY we should mark these days NOW.
What Thanksgiving should mean is exactly what it does mean: Giving thanks
So many times we feel entitled to what we have and fail to understand that ANYTHING we have is a blessing.
I have noticed that those that have so little are always far more thankful for what little they do have then those that have so much.
Everyday we have is a blessing and something to be thankful, to have on day out of 365 to stop and remember that isn't a bad thing.

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:31 PM
i am very thankful for you *******s here, truly.
You keep me honest and motivate me, you buttwipes make me want to do and be better and while i can't stand you ****ers at all, i am very thankful for you ****suckers.

lol!!!! :d

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm thankful for this (http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1144438&postcount=31)

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm thankful for this (http://kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1144438&postcount=31)

Rookie.
http://www.fightlinker.com/pics/ginacaranobodyissue.jpg

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I bow to the master.

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I bow to the master.

There is something so hot and so intimidating in that pic...I think I need to be alone for a bit...

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
dude seriously. shes freaking hot!

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
dude seriously. shes freaking hot!

Yeah, too hot...probably created by Satan to tempt mortal man !!

Lucas
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
or an angel sent to teach us the error of our ways! ;)

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 01:58 PM
or an angel sent to teach us the error of our ways! ;)

Such an optimist !
http://gifs.gifbin.com/1239704331_gina-carano.gif

GeneChing
11-23-2011, 02:08 PM
When I interviewed her two years ago (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=834), she came off as quite level-headed and even a little modest about her looks. That made her even hotter.

I can hardly wait for Haywire (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55198).

Have a great holiday, everyone!

sanjuro_ronin
11-23-2011, 02:12 PM
When I interviewed her two years ago (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=834), she came off as quite level-headed and even a little modest about her looks. That made her even hotter.

I can hardly wait for Haywire (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55198).

Have a great holiday, everyone!

That's right, keeping rubbing it in chief.
:mad:

GeneChing
11-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Just like I wish that all of you get the chance to see a UFC event live (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1144285#post1144285), I wish you all get the chance to meet Gina in person someday. :)

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/2248573/3008-gina_carano_2_large.jpg

mickey
11-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Greetings,

And Happy Thanksgiving guys. May it be safe and enjoyable for you all.

mickey

PS: I can't wait for all of those Black Friday photos, guys. Do not disappoint.

ShaolinDan
11-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Happy Thanksgiving All.

uki
11-24-2011, 10:15 AM
hope everyone is thankful no one is coming into your house and declaring it their new home. :p

Vajramusti
11-24-2011, 11:05 AM
hope everyone is thankful no one is coming into your house and declaring it their new home. :p
----------------------------------------------------

What? No pilgrims?

Drake
11-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Historically speaking, just about every civilization is built upon the ruins of someone elses' culture. Nobody is innocent.

David Jamieson
11-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Historically speaking, just about every civilization is built upon the ruins of someone elses' culture. Nobody is innocent.

Tell me about it. My heritage is Scottish and we were conquered , oppressed and driven out of our lands by a pack of effete wankers known as the bloody English.

I empathize with natives, but I don't sympathize. It's been a few hundred years now, all our governments have to do is honour the treaties we wrote.

and yes, every culture for the most part has suffered at the power of another.
No special cases really.

sanjuro_ronin
11-24-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm Portuguese so we usually did the conquering and driving, LOL !

Syn7
11-26-2011, 06:01 PM
oh yeah, we had ours awhile ago... holidays mean nothing to me anymore. i dunno why, ive just completel;y lost interest... aint nada but a payed day off...

Syn7
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm Portuguese so we usually did the conquering and driving, LOL !

i would like to go to portugal... and spain to see some fam. get to know the basque side of my tree...

Hardwork108
11-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I believe that Uki may be questioning wether what happened is cause for celebration. After all, this was not just a quick conquest, but many,many decades of conquest, racism, violence, robbery and deceit, by a nation that has been doing the same (together with her allies) abroad for many, many, decades, as well.

David Jamieson
11-28-2011, 06:26 AM
I believe that Uki may be questioning wether what happened is cause for celebration. After all, this was not just a quick conquest, but many,many decades of conquest, racism, violence, robbery and deceit, by a nation that has been doing the same (together with her allies) abroad for many, many, decades, as well.

Oh right because your nation filled with spaniards who killed off the indians like no ones business is way better and has the higher moral ground in regards to what happened right?

gimme a break. lol.

Maybe if you lived in Tongo or something your vilification would have some weight, but you live in a country that has no upper hand, no better morality and certainly not a remarkable humanistic society as it is.

bawang
11-28-2011, 06:35 AM
i feel no guilt because im not white.

however i think its weird to stuff things up a turkeys ass, so i dont eat turkey.

David Jamieson
11-28-2011, 07:24 AM

however i think its weird to stuff things up a turkeys ass, so i dont eat turkey.

You feel no guilt because you choose not to take on the sins of your father.
I feel no guilt because it's artificial and does nothing to continue forward.

Drake
11-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Maybe you shouldn't knock it until you try it. Bread and herbs shoved up a turkey's ass is DELICIOUS.

GLW
11-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Actually, it is NOT that far removed.

Native Americans were only given the right to vote in 1924. However, that did not apply to all states. Oklahoma did not extend voting rights to Natives (and they had a lot on the reservations there) until the mid 1930's.

You may actually know someone who was directly affected by these policies.

For example, my own father was born on or as close to on as you can get to the reservation. His mother, being 7/8 Sauk, could not vote until my father was around 10 or 11 years old.

During that time, they had a policy of assimilation of the native children by removing the children from their families whenever possible. It was the 1930's - Depression times and the Dirty 30's - dust bowl. So, thousands of children were taken from their home for the sin of being a 'poor Indian'.

My father, uncle, and aunt were of these number. There were other children in the home but they were not removed. I did not meet my biological grandmother until I was 16 years old. I still have no means of getting in touch with any part of my father's biological family. And this was a family that had their land stolen through an illegal treaty in the 1830's....moved to a couple of different reservations and eventually ended up in Oklahoma.

So, there are people alive today who have been directly affected by the US govt.'s policies and actions against the indigenous peoples...and No, it did not end with the Indian wars but continued on through the 1940's, 1950's and in some places, even beyond that.

Yep... I pig out on turkey and enjoy the day off...but the idea of Thanksgiving has a non-meaning in my home.

David Jamieson
11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
1961 is when Natives finally got to vote in Canada.

As long as there is a reserve system and handouts, there will be no assimilation and no real progress for native peoples.

They can be part of the greater society, that is known. they can still continue to carry their traditions forward, but every generation makes mistakes as much as they make great things happen.

dwelling on the mistakes of a half century ago or a century or 2 centuries is a waste of time. Address them, seek a solution, if none is found, move on to something else.

rett
11-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Think of the Indians and then think about multiculturalism and our sacred duty to accept immigrants...

David Jamieson
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Think of the Indians and then think about multiculturalism and our sacred duty to accept immigrants...

Yes, as a Canadian, we have both and one may very well be used to justify the other or temper it depending on the politics du jour.

GLW
11-28-2011, 01:40 PM
"1961 is when Natives finally got to vote in Canada."

So, is Thanksgiving set on the 4th Thursday of November now a Canadian holiday? Yours is the second Monday in October and is actually stated as being designed as "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed" in short, it is a Harvest Day celebration. A bit different but not completely. Still, the discussion here centers on the November day called Thanksgiving...a uniquely American (as in USA) holiday.

"As long as there is a reserve system and handouts, there will be no assimilation and no real progress for native peoples."

Sloppy language. While some of what is given IS a handout, other aspects of it are REPARATIONS. Big difference there.

Assimilation - and WHY should every minority culture be forced to assimilate. There is a choice here and you are assuming that your sensibilities and values are in some way superior than theirs.

Progress - who defines progress? While better medicine and more food, that type of thing can be called progress, there is an intangible that has to do with values and quality of life.

Assimilation, which you seem to think is desirable, is easy if you don't look too different, don't keep your roots and original culture in any form that is recognized by the majority society, and don't make waves. Is this truly desirable for all? Should it not be a choice? What about those who were given no choice - the ones who were forced to assimilate.

Logical extreme, in the 1960s, there were grade school teachers who believed that left-handed children were somehow dysfunctional. They thought they were doing a good thing by forcing the child to learn to be right-hand dominant. Many of these kids had OTHER problems in school after this caused by the methods employed. So, simple ideas such as progress and assimilation can be the start of strange roads.

"They can be part of the greater society, that is known. they can still continue to carry their traditions forward, but every generation makes mistakes as much as they make great things happen."

Greater society. Did you mean larger or dominant society? That phrase is a loaded one with verbal implications that may not be intended. The "greater society" has rarely been receptive of carrying traditions from a previous culture forward. In fact, the "greater society" usually puts up some major impediments to doing just that.

Mistakes, yes they do happen, have happened, and will happen. The big issue here is the inability to actually own up to a mistake or make amends for it. This is sort of like an alcoholic in a 12 step program not working the steps where they have to admit their addiction and then where they have to deal with the aftermath of their addiction on others. Basically, in that sense, it does not work. So, since a society is made up of people, it is dubious that not working these steps as a society will lead to other problems as well.

"dwelling on the mistakes of a half century ago or a century or 2 centuries is a waste of time. Address them, seek a solution, if none is found, move on to something else."

Even if the impact of those mistakes are still occurring? Sorry, but that logic is faulty. Simple example. Due to their "mistakes" and their attempts to assimilate a culture by force, there are people with no knowledge of their genetic history. Not knowing family medical history can and does have a signifcant impact in treatment for things like heart disease, mental illness, and so on. This lack of family history is bad enough when it happens naturally but when it is due to a government sanctioned and executed program, there are real results and problems that are 100% avoidable.

To not remember the mistakes of the past is to ensure that they will be repeated. (to paraphrase) Likewise, to not hold people accountable for their actions will ensure that things will be done with a blind eye to consequences.

David Jamieson
11-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Canada = Greater than you think, worse than you know.

Canadians have trouble with this.Then they have more trouble when you point out the really bad things they don't know. most are apoplectic by the time you get to the third or forth line item, usually something about a canadian controlled mining company murdering locals in an overseas venture....

it's brutal at times. never mind the huge environmental damage we are now doing in our western provinces for the sake of some dollars. The Tar sands are the most environmentally non-viable project ever and it's sold as a green pursuit up here. Ridiculous.

well, stupid really.

rett
11-29-2011, 04:24 AM
Yes, as a Canadian, we have both ....

I'd say the Indians have you... but okay:)

David Jamieson
11-29-2011, 06:44 AM
I'd say the Indians have you... but okay:)

what are you? some kind of lefty? lol.
No, Canada is a country that is sovereign and not Native in ownership anymore.

I think these issues are false constructs for the most part and the real underlying problem is racism that bars natives from weaving in and the rest of the culture from weaving them in. The indian act and reserve system ostracizes natives further no matter what people might think is advantageous to them.

It's been a long time, it's silly and we should all integrate.
If we can do it with everyone else from around the world, they can include themselves in as well and our governments should be opening that process and the people through their behaviours should support that integration.

Syn7
11-29-2011, 08:36 PM

do you feel guilty for all the tribes and nations the chinese wiped out?

Syn7
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
1961 is when Natives finally got to vote in Canada.

As long as there is a reserve system and handouts, there will be no assimilation and no real progress for native peoples.

They can be part of the greater society, that is known. they can still continue to carry their traditions forward, but every generation makes mistakes as much as they make great things happen.

dwelling on the mistakes of a half century ago or a century or 2 centuries is a waste of time. Address them, seek a solution, if none is found, move on to something else.

yeah and they didnt close the last residential school until 1986.

I don't think we should all leave or anything, but how do you figure they can be who they were? thats gone, over. especially for migratory tribes.

Hardwork108
12-10-2011, 01:20 AM
Oh right because your nation filled with spaniards who killed off the indians like no ones business is way better and has the higher moral ground in regards to what happened right?
First of all, I am not taking a higher moral ground. Not the way you think! Secondly, two (or more, as the case is) wrongs, do not make a right!

gimme a break. lol.

Not yet!

Maybe if you lived in Tongo or something your vilification would have some weight, but you live in a country that has no upper hand, no better morality and certainly not a remarkable humanistic society as it is.

Well, as you may, (or probably not) know, the South American mass murder bing was limited to her natives, as well as some early wars. So, they cans still look down on their Northern Hemisphere neighbors (together with Europe) from a considerably higher moral ground. That is because the latter are still robbing, pillaging and mass murdering their way through some of the minerally richest countries on the planet, albeit under a false slogan of "we are civilized democratic countries, that defend the right of justice and freedom"! Yes, it is Hitler revisited, but with a glassy eyed, thinly disguised, uncaring smile.

Actually, the "North" has a great job in "promoting" Democracy down here, by time and again overthrowing democratically elected governments and replacing them with psychopathic dictators, more or less with the same psychopathic MO as the Northern, "First World" country Presidents and Prime Ministers, but of course, minus the plastic "caring" smiles......

So yes, as "civilized" and "privileged" as you are made to artificially feel about where you live and who you are, I am afraid that as far as taking high moral grounds is concerned, your part of the world would not match some primitive village in some obscure country in Africa!

Yes, it is Hitler revisited, but with the slogan "we are Democracies and we believe in justice and freedom for all", together with the accompanying plastic, glassy eyed smile!!!!

Dragonzbane76
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
stirring the pot. Even the 2 week old one.

Hardwork108
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
stirring the pot. Even the 2 week old one.

Hey, the longer it takes, the better it tastes. ;)

ShaolinDan
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
So, the thing about Thanksgiving is that, cultural baggage aside, it's a harvest festival. Which is a nice thing to be thankful for. :)

Hardwork108
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
So, the thing about Thanksgiving is that, cultural baggage aside, it's a harvest festival. Which is a nice thing to be thankful for. :)

Plus 1 :)

Lucas
12-11-2011, 08:21 AM

bawang does not have this guilt thing you speak of. He pretty cool guy, not scare anything.

Hardwork108
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM

Of course, he doesn't feel guilty. The Chinese are a superior race. They had science, mathematics, writing and even educational institutions, during a time when you ancestors in Western Europe were living in trees and eating roots and insects.....:D

Lucas
12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
some of us only lived in trees during the warm months, the rest of the time we dwelled in caves....and then we came forth in all our fury.

GeneChing
11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
This is a wacky thread, almost worth reviewing the whole thing if you have a moment today.

MartialArtsMart.com is celebrating Black Friday/Cyber Monday with Free Shipping for any orders over $50. Offer ends Dec 31, 2012 Midnight. (http://www.martialartsmart.com/free-shipping.html)

Go consume. :)

Dale Dugas
11-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!

Be well, and if you overeat take Bo Zhai Wan, they are for overeating and food stagnation.

David Jamieson
11-21-2012, 02:36 PM
well thanks. It's about time. You're only a month late!

Lucas
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Canadians don't count, as you are all sub human creatures. This is a 'Merica thread. Get your dirty Canadian eyes off our thread.

GeneChing
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
...or you won't get any more twinkies (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64805). :eek:

Lucas
11-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Canadian hostile twinkie take over?!??! This means war. I'm going to have bawang pick me up in his helichopper and drop me off at the border. Get ready everyone, I'm finally going to shake that monkey off our back!!!

Syn7
11-21-2012, 03:40 PM
That's how we won the war of 1812. Twinkies *****es!!!

I never understood why US school books always glossed over 1812. Oh wait, that's right, cause we choked you out with twinkies!!!

GeneChing
11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
have bawang pick me up in his helichopper and drop me off at the border.

we choked you out with twinkies!!!

Both are surely euphemisms for some perverse fetish, yes? :p

Lucas
11-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Thats cuz we were busy repelling three British invasion armies. Were we to devote our full attention to Canadia, we would crush you like a sub human species of twinkie thiefs.

Syn7
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Please, yall wanted to annex Canada and failed. Just admit it, you can still taste the twinkies.

I would love to see how that would go down today, lol. Something tells me it wouldn't work out as well for us this time around. But then it would be a fight between the US and the commonwealth and that could get really ugly really fast. Good thing we're estranged brothers.

Oh and for the record, we were the British. Back then you couldn't really seperate us like that. Britain and france are both our parents. But we stayed with daddy for a lot longer and never fought for independance, we just did it.

Lucas
11-21-2012, 04:23 PM
You dirty red coats!!! :mad:

We do spend all of our education funds and health care, food and shelter support on military might, so ya, you know where our priorities lie....

just keep sending those twinkies our way, and we won't have a problem.

mickey
11-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Greetings

First Voices Indigenous Radio will be sharing a special broadcast that offers their perspectives on Thanksgiving. It will take place on Thanksgiving day from 9am to 12pm, EST, on WBAI 95.5 FM. If you are out of range you can go to WBAI's site for live streaming. If you are unable to listen that day, WBAI archives it's saved for up to two weeks.

www.wbai.org

mickey

GeneChing
11-25-2014, 08:50 AM
While I appreciate the sentiment, mickey, if I attend to any broadcasts on Thanksgiving 2014, it'll be Way of the Turkey - EL REY's Kung Fu movie marathon (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68210-El-Rey-Network-and-Shaw-Brothers&p=1278304#post1278304).

mickey
11-25-2014, 09:43 AM
Hi Gene,

I posted this because there are some members who are very close to their Native American heritage. To single them out via pm might mean that I might be missing out on others. So, I did it this way. It is only a 3 hour show and I put forth other listening options. So, have a Happy Turkey Day, as my Sifu would have put it.

mickey

GeneChing
11-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I totally support this post. Some of my very close Kung Fu shidi are native. As they say 'we don't celebrate a massacre.' And being vegetarian, T-day ain't big in my household either.

But as EL REY is our new sponsor, and I love what they are doing with the Shaw Brothers films, I gotta give thanks there too.

Enjoy your holiday, whatever you observe!

Tainan Mantis
11-26-2014, 05:57 AM
And being vegetarian, T-day ain't big in my household either.
Cool,
I am thinking of moving my school to a bigger location and adding a vegan restaurant on the side.

ShaolinDan
11-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Cool,
I am thinking of moving my school to a bigger location and adding a vegan restaurant on the side.

Not to derail the thread, but do you have experience in the restaurant business? If not, don't even think about it. Running a restaurant is an 80 hour a week job or more for most new owners.

GeneChing
11-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Whether you spend the day watching the Way of the Turkey Kung Fu marathon on EL REY (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68210-El-Rey-Network-and-Shaw-Brothers&p=1278304#post1278304)(our new sponsor) or tune into mickey's Native-American-Radio-Broadcast-on-Thanksgiving-Day (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68248-ATTENTION!!!-Native-American-Radio-Broadcast-on-Thanksgiving-Day), or just stuff your face with food that you'll have to work off in Kung Fu practice later, best of the season to you!

http://www.michiganmartialartsproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/TurkeyNinja2.png

PalmStriker
11-27-2014, 11:37 AM
:) Happy ThanksGiving, All!

boxerbilly
11-25-2015, 02:28 PM
For those that celebrate and a great day for those that do not.

mickey
11-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Greetings,

I wish everyone the same. May it be safe and enjoyable.

mickey

Jimbo
11-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Wishing a happy and safe Thanksgiving to all.

GeneChing
11-25-2015, 03:50 PM
And remember MartialArtsMart.com (http://www.martialartsmart.com/) for your Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping. We have some special offers, just like every year.

Don't forget to support our sponsor and help us pay for the forum here. ;)

http://integritymartialartsblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/thanksgiving_black_belt.jpg

GeneChing
11-22-2017, 10:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Go80wci7yA

I'm so proud to be a part of the El Rey Network (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68210-El-Rey-Network-and-Shaw-Brothers) family. Happy Thanksgiving! (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?7130-Happy-Thanksgiving)

GeneChing
11-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Next year (2018) is the Year of the Earth Dog (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70579-2018-Year-of-the-EARTH-DOG). CNY is observed on FEB 16 2018.

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/newyearmeal.png?w=1100&strip=all&quality=75
A good meal. (AP/Wong Maye-E)

PERSPECTIVE
IF YOU THINK THANKSGIVING IS STRESSFUL, YOU SHOULD TRY CHINESE NEW YEAR (https://quartzy.qz.com/1136625/if-you-think-thanksgiving-is-stressful-you-should-try-chinese-new-year/)
By Youyou Zhou November 23, 2017
I spent the first 20 years of my life in China. Holidays in America always remind me of the ones I had there. Fourth of July is equivalent to October First as a day to celebrate the founding of the nation. Memorial Day is similar to Qing Ming, a day to remember the deceased. Qi Xi is the Chinese Valentine’s Day.

The closest Chinese holiday I can think of that’s like Thanksgiving, is the Lunar (Chinese) New Year. Families and relatives get together, cook a big meal, and express gratitude for the past year and best hopes for the future. And while both holidays are about family get-togethers, Chinese New Year is way more intense.

TRAVELING HOME

Americans complain about booking airline tickets around Thanksgiving and coping with traffic jams. But it’s really no comparison to the crowds flooding major train stations around Lunar New Year. For workers who are tight on money, this is the only time of year that many visit their family. Last year Chinese travelers made 3 billion trips in the 40 days before and after the holiday.

For Americans, the busiest travel time of the year doesn’t even fall on the day before Thanksgiving—Americans travel more for summer vacations.

FAMILY CONVERSATIONS

The American saying is, absence makes the heart grow fonder. It’s joyful to think about reconnecting with the ones we miss and those who love us, until reality kicks in. Americans may be arguing about politics and religion this year, but for Chinese, there will be stressful confrontations over personal matters.

When are you getting married? What’s the plan on having kids? How about purchasing properties? How much did you make last year? Chinese relatives and families are not afraid of asking difficult questions, because they all love you.

THE BIG MEAL

In the US, the most searched question on Google related to Thanksgiving is “How to cook a turkey.” Over 80% of American millennials this year worry that their turkey might be over-cooked.

Well, that’s just turkey. For the family dinners I helped prepare with my parents and grandparents, fish, chicken, pork… they all have to be there. It typically involves days of preparation with the fresh ingredients to make steamed whole fish, rice cakes, egg dumplings symbolizing luck and prosperity, and it takes us several days to eat them all.

COMMONALITIES

When I look at every aspect of Thanksgiving that creates stress, I think about the same thing for Chinese New Year and know how it can be worse. But all these years, I’ve never ceased to love and miss Chinese New Year, the chaotic travel to finally arrive at home. I’ve waited hours in the airport because of weather delays; woken up early in the morning to hunt for fresh, expensive produce in local markets; and years later I no longer remember the arguments we all had. Time has turned them into understanding of the differences among us.

The holiday is stressful but it creates shared memories—good and bad—which is something both cultures have in common as we head back home to celebrate with our families.

Thanksgiving (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?7130-Happy-Thanksgiving) versus CNY (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?27915-Chinese-New-Year!)

GeneChing
11-21-2018, 10:10 AM
You know what I'll be doing this year to celebrate...again.

Way of the Turkey Promo Video (https://www.facebook.com/ElReyNetwork/videos/2711604819065565/)

El Rey Network

Which martial arts master would you like to have over for Thanksgiving dinner?

Don't miss The Way of the Turkey marathon starting TOMORROW on El Rey Network!

I RIDE WITH EL REY!

Plus remember to check out the Black Friday & Cyber Monday deals at our Forum Sponsor MartialArtSmart.com (https://www.martialartsmart.com/).

GeneChing
11-26-2018, 09:51 AM
How Thanksgiving helps Asian-Americans celebrate their culture and identity (https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/food-drink/article/2174152/how-thanksgiving-helps-asian-americans-celebrate-their-culture)
The looseness to Thanksgiving makes it a great platform for Asian-Americans to celebrate and inject their own, sometimes complicated, identities
Kimchi stuffing, pumpkin sticky rice – there are no wrong dishes
PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 21 November, 2018, 3:04am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 21 November, 2018, 7:11am
Charley Lanyon
https://twitter.com/chlanyon
https://www.instagram.com/cee_everything

https://cdn1.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980x551/public/images/methode/2018/11/21/e709534a-ec8b-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1280x720_071139.JPG?itok=_6JZK-S-

Mina Park has a lot on her plate. As the chef and owner of Sook in Hong Kong, and co-owner of the recently closed but pioneering Baroo in Los Angeles, Park is at the cutting edge of modern global Korean dining. But this time of year her mind drifts from her work in food to her family table and preparations for her favourite holiday of the year, Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving can be a complicated time for immigrants and their children in the United States. The holiday’s very Americanness can be alienating. Most people anywhere in the world have at least some conception of what is expected for more global holidays, such as Christmas, but Thanksgiving remains a strange bird.

Even many multi-generational Americans find the holiday confounding: why does the nation pretend to like turkey one day of the year? What precisely is a pilgrim? And what do they have to do with pie?

For more recent immigrants, the holiday can serve to highlight their otherness, the seemingly insurmountable distance they still have to travel for true assimilation.

“I’m Korean-American, and during my childhood, my family moved often all over North America,” says Park. “My parents moved to the US from Korea right before I was born, so they weren’t familiar with American traditions like Thanksgiving. I distinctly recall being in primary school and being slightly mortified that we didn’t celebrate this thing called Thanksgiving.”

On the other hand, Thanksgiving is something of a great equaliser. If there is a central message – other than being “thankful” – it is that everyone in the US, with the exception of actual native Americans, are immigrants.

https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2018/11/21/bc181d9a-ec97-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1320x770_071139.JPG
Park celebrates her Korean heritage by having kimchi at Thanksgiving. Photo: Alamy

For Park, what started as a source of mortification and confusion quickly became a sincere cause for celebration.

“I told my mom all about how Americans celebrated, and after that we started to have Thanksgiving dinner at home. It quickly became my family’s major holiday celebration and we always had a table covered with a roast turkey, stuffing and all the fixings,” Park recalls. “And because we are Korean, kimchi.”

Thanksgiving is, like the sentiment it claims to celebrate, a very welcoming holiday. In the Park family’s case that meant inviting other members of their community, such as Korean international students or colleagues of Park’s father’s who were alone on Thanksgiving.

https://cdn4.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2018/11/21/c27fe30c-ec97-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1320x770_071139.JPG
Asian-Americans celebrate the holiday across the US. Photo: Alamy

The US holiday has mercifully few conditions. There’s no religious requirement; no ritual more involved than napping and maybe watching football. Not that it is without its own dearly held mythologies.

“When I was growing up, I was taught that Thanksgiving was a time when the native Americans and English colonists set aside their differences for one beautiful, shared seasonal meal,” Park says. “So, as a child, I imagined this as a time to share your culture and bridge cultural gaps. I was usually the only Asian in my schools so this was quite attractive to me.

“Of course, I eventually learned the truth about Thanksgiving,” she adds, referencing the diseases and historic genocide that the meetings between native Americans and Europeans ushered in, the wholesale slaughter, cultural decimation, and land theft that would follow.

When I was still in Hong Kong, I realised that many of my neighbours and friends had never celebrated Thanksgiving. I felt sad for them for being deprived of my favourite holidayCHEF MINA PARK
Like many modern Americans, especially immigrants, the hard truths about Thanksgiving require some serious reconceptualisation. “I decided Thanksgiving could still be an opportunity to take a moment to be grateful for my friends and family,” says Park. “Cooking for them is my way of showing my gratitude and love.”

There is a particularly American looseness to Thanksgiving that makes it appealing to people from all backgrounds. Even the traditional menu is ripe for experimentation: as long as you hit the classics of Turkey, stuffing, cranberry and pie, you’re free to go nuts. Kimchi stuffing, turkey mole enchiladas, pumpkin sticky rice – there are no wrong answers.

Park, who only recently moved to Los Angeles from Hong Kong, found herself in the position of a kind of Thanksgiving missionary when she lived in Asia. She did not want to stop celebrating just because she wasn’t in America and was eager to spread the gospel of the season.

“When I was still in Hong Kong, I realised that many of my neighbours and friends had never celebrated Thanksgiving. I felt sad for them for being deprived of my favourite holiday,” she says.

Park quickly discovered that the appeal of Thanksgiving was truly global. “I hosted a neighbourhood Thanksgiving party where I cooked all of the traditional dishes. Many of my friends brought over dishes as well, and of course wine.

The party became a tradition, especially for my neighbourhood in Hong Kong, and then grew beyond just my neighbours. Two years ago, I think I had about 200 friends celebrate at my place. Last year, I kept it more intimate and strictly to neighbours, so we were only about 80. To me, that seemed small.”

Fundamentally, Thanksgiving celebrates one of humanity’s true unifying tenants: a love of eating good food. This is a value that Asian-Americans justly regard as a birthright, and is perhaps part of the reason why Thanksgiving has developed into such a platform for celebrating Asian-American culture and identity in all its complicated hues. continued next post

GeneChing
11-26-2018, 09:51 AM
https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2018/11/21/00d1a2fa-ec8c-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1320x770_071139.JPG
Roast turkey is the traditional fare at Thanksgiving in the US. Photo: Alamy

This year, celebrity chef David Chang dedicated an episode of his critically acclaimed TV food series, Ugly Delicious, to preparing a kind of gourmet fusion Thanksgiving dinner for his family at his mother’s house. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times food section ran a personal essay by chef Yang Soon of critics’ darling Lukshon, titled “I gave up on turkey at Thanksgiving and built an American melting-pot meal instead.”

[Next year] I’ll make my Thanksgiving standby – white truffle macaroni and cheese, and probably pumpkin pie. And of course, I’ll bring kimchiCHEF MINA PARK
Over the last few years, cherished Asian-American traditions such as next-day turkey dumplings and leftover turkey congee have proliferated on food blogs and in hipster kitchens all over the country.

A note about Thanksgiving leftovers for non-American readers: Thanksgiving is in a way like a mirror image of Christmas. While for many people the proper Christmas celebrations take place the night before on Christmas Eve, what many Americans think of most fondly when they think of Thanksgiving is the day after, when amateur chefs are given a fridge full of leftovers and free reign to indulge their imaginations to create and gorge.

For food folk, it is a day for culinary envelope-pushing that sees everything from turkey and gravy croquets, stuffing waffles, and cranberry granita, interspersed with lots of leftover wine, and what are, without doubt, the best sandwiches of the year.

Of course, there are many Americans, many of them recent immigrants, who aren’t able to celebrate Thanksgiving at all. Especially for people working in the food and hospitality industries, that third Thursday of November is first and foremost a work day.

For Wilson Tang, the restaurateur and owner of Nom Wah Tea Parlor in New York City, that is certainly the case.

“My parents are first-generation immigrants. Thanksgiving was never big in our household,” he says. “Since I oversee a restaurant group, it’s a bit difficult to do anything for Thanksgiving per se, as we are working that long weekend. We do take the time to host a Thanksgiving dinner for our staff a few days prior, so that we can spend time together and be grateful for one another and the hard work put in to serve guests.”

Still, Tang says he doesn’t really mind working over the holiday. “Seeing people come in and celebrate with families is certainly something we love.”

https://cdn1.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/images/methode/2018/11/21/8aa1eeae-ec8c-11e8-b0fe-c62dccd2d711_1320x770_071139.JPG
Wilson Tang is the restaurateur and owner of Nom Wah Tea Parlor in New York City.

For Tang, Thanksgiving is something of a double holiday, coming as it does just before his 40th birthday this year. He says he hopes some of the holiday goodwill will carry over for people wanting to celebrate his personal milestone.

“My birthday is right after Thanksgiving, but since I’ve been working in the restaurant business the last few years, I haven’t had time to properly celebrate. This year, I’m turning 40 and finally hosting a birthday party; I’m asking friends to not give me a gift, but rather, donate to the Museum of Chinese in America,” he says.

As for Park, this year she finds herself celebrating in a new city. Ironically, given now that she is in America, her Thanksgiving plans have downsized considerably.

“Now that I’ve moved to Los Angeles I sadly can’t host my annual Thanksgiving party in Hong Kong … By next year, I will be ready to throw a big Thanksgiving dinner again,” she says.

She already knows what she is going to bring. “I’ll make my Thanksgiving standby – white truffle macaroni and cheese, and probably pumpkin pie. And of course, I’ll bring kimchi.”

There's still some great deals going today at MartialArtSmart.com (https://www.martialartsmart.com/).

GeneChing
11-27-2019, 11:24 AM
First an ad:

https://smhttp-ssl-73310.nexcesscdn.net/pub/media/wysiwyg/Black-Friday-Sale-2019.jpg

BLACK FRIDAY SALE! (https://www.martialartsmart.com/black-friday)

Up to 25% OFF with these BLACK FRIDAY DISCOUNT CODES!

Next, an obliquely related interview:

Freddie Prinze Jr. Has a Plan If People Start Talking Politics During Thanksgiving Dinner (https://www.instyle.com/celebrity/freddie-prinze-jr-thanksgiving-butterball-turkey-talk-line-dinner-politics-reboot)
Plus, he shares why he doesn’t believe in New Year’s resolutions.
By Eva Fedderly Nov 26, 2019 @ 5:00 pm

https://cdn-img.instyle.com/sites/default/files/styles/684xflex/public/1574803654/FreddiePrinzeJrButterballTurkeyTalkLine%20-%20Lead.jpg?itok=s35eeAzQ
VINCENT SANDOVAL/GETTY IMAGES

Freddie Prinze Jr. may be best known as an actor, starring in hits such as I Know What You Did Last Summer and She’s All That. But when it comes to the holidays, he happens to be quite the professional host, too. His latest gig was particularly well-suited to his interests: Prinze Jr worked the Butterball Turkey Talk-Line on Nov. 14, where he took calls from people across America, answering questions as they prepared for Thanksgiving.

“Growing up in L.A. and being an actor, we started a tradition called Stragglers Thanksgiving,” he revealed to InStyle over the phone afterward. “We’d get together — people who didn’t have the money to get home, or who were the outcasts of their families. It was a chance to bring people together who didn’t have any other place to go.”

This year, the actor-turned-gamer brought people together in a different way, even giving advice on how to handle a family feud about Star Wars at the dinner table.

Prinze Jr. said that for Thanksgiving 2019, he and his wife of 17 years, Sarah Michelle Gellar, along with their two children, Charlotte, 10, and Rocky, 7, have a full feast planned. He also spoke with us about why he never makes New Year’s resolutions, and why he loves living in LA.

https://cdn-img.instyle.com/sites/default/files/styles/684xflex/public/1574803654/FreddiePrinzeJrButterballTurkeyTalkLine1.jpg?itok= FiVAWOS7
PHOTOGRAPH: JACLYN RIVAS

What’s on your agenda for Thanksgiving this year?

We’re having a big Thanksgiving this year and hosting 18 people — some may drop in or drop out. I’m cooking, because I cook every year. It’s a great opportunity to bring people together from different parts of the country.

Knowing you love gaming and Star Wars, will these be topics of conversation at your Thanksgiving table?

No, and we don’t talk politics or religion. But some of the older people at the table might. If they start talking politics, I’ll either turn on a football game or go outside and play with the kids. I don’t like any politicians.

Do you always celebrate Thanksgiving at home?

Yes. I love California. It’s like that old computer game, The Oregon Trail — everyone goes out west and they never go back. It’s fantastic out here, from Mexico up to Oregon. The people are chill and the food is great.

With the new year coming up, are you thinking about resolutions for 2020?

I’ve never believed in New Year’s resolutions. I’ve always felt, why would you wait for the New Year? I’m not a traditionalist; I like to do things my own way. I was raised by a bunch of serious martial artists. Martial arts are the physical expression of what we love and hate about ourselves and are too afraid to see it. If there’s something that needs to get done, even if I fail ten times, that’s okay — I’m just not going to fail the same way twice. Plus, a [New Year’s] resolution gets you stuck in a gym membership that you can’t get out of.

Do you have any new movies you’d like to do next year or any films you want to reboot?

I did Scooby-Doo, which some would say is a reboot. But I’m now more of a gamer; I play video games and board games.

What are you most looking forward to in 2020?

The new Harry Potter tabletop RPG, Cyberpunk 2077 featuring Keanu Reaves as the video game lead, and the tabletop Cyberpunk Red.

Next, my annual TV rec:
Way of the Turkey Marathon on EL REY (https://www.elreynetwork.com/schedule/2019-11-28)

And lastly, our best wishes that everyone here has a safe and pleasant T-day. Thank YOU for your support of our forum here.

GeneChing
11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
First, that ad again. Support MartialArtSmart and you support this forum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnDD3xPUYAEL-yz?format=jpg&name=medium (https://www.martialartsmart.com/)

I'm not that into T-day, truth be told. Some of my best friends are Native Americans so we don't celebrate. Plus I'm pescatarian so turkey isn't a big thing. I don't feel like I'm missing much for 2020, the year of sheltering.

I am bummed that El Rey Network (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68210-El-Rey-Network-and-Shaw-Brothers) isn't running it's Way of the Turkey Kung Fu movie marathon this year. They are running the Man at Arms: Art of War - Weapons of Kung Fu episode (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70140-Man-at-Arms-Art-of-War-Original-Series-from-EL-REY-Network-with-Gene-Ching&p=1311673#post1311673) at 10AM & 4 PM PST. Maybe I'll re-watch that.

GeneChing
11-25-2020, 05:56 PM
Looks like El Rey Network (https://www.elreynetwork.com/)'s Way of the Turkey is on!

I checked the schedule this morning when I posted above and it was totally different.

highlypotion
12-14-2020, 02:28 AM
Looks like El Rey Network (https://www.elreynetwork.com/)'s Way of the Turkey is on!

I checked the schedule this morning when I posted above and it was totally different.

So bad that I didn't even greet anyone here having their thanksgiving party. I was currently busy at that time. Belated Happy Thanksgiving to all! (cringe*)

GeneChing
11-24-2021, 10:59 AM
There will surely be MartialArtSmart offers. I just haven't got them yet. I'll swing back and post again when they arrive.

GeneChing
11-24-2021, 11:32 AM
I'll swing back and post again when they arrive.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FE-or-wVEAA5ym6?format=jpg&name=medium

BLACK FRIDAY SALE! (https://martialartsmart.com/)

GeneChing
11-23-2022, 01:45 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FiRgSMrVIAAoDoJ?format=jpg&name=medium (https://martialartsmart.com/pages/holiday-special)