PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun ma

pakfayau
11-22-2001, 04:55 PM
I am new to wing chun but I know that in a wing chun stance a 'yee chi kim yeung man' needs to be done, but my sifu says that thats a lie and your not supposed to do that because your supposed to be soft all the time.

edward
11-22-2001, 07:24 PM
send him the book wing chun for dummies

joy chaudhuri
11-22-2001, 07:25 PM
Without yee gee kim yeung ma- done correctly
you end up doing some other art.

old jong
11-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Exactly!...

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Martial Joe
11-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Yeah...its time to find a real teacher...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

Wei Sui
11-22-2001, 09:30 PM
How is your stance when you do your SLT?

Dai yut tow dai :)

pakfayau
11-23-2001, 03:45 AM
Well I start with my feet in the my feet go out once and out again. this is how my feet are / looking down at myself. how is a yee chi kim yeung ma done? are the toes supposed to be grabbing hold of the floor like an eagle??? I think I do need a new sifu. Thanx for your help guys!!!!

rubthebuddha
11-23-2001, 09:24 AM
kim yee ma, yee chim kim yeung ma, or whatever you wish to call it, looks just like that, big guy. in europe, it's often called the IRAS (internally rotated adduction stance). and if your sifu says you don't need it, but goes ahead and teaches it to you, either he needs to lay off the meth or you need to do some sifu-searching.

-rtb

Nat from UK
11-25-2001, 02:58 PM
Who are you training with and where ??

Check out Shaun Rawcliffe - if in B'ham, he is very good and a nice guy.

If you are training under SR then you have misunderstood him as he knows his stuff.

Nat from UK

pakfayau
11-25-2001, 05:22 PM
I train from a friend who trains from a guy called Abid. The reason that I don't want to train from rawcliffe is because everyone knows that he got beaten up in class by another person. Someone I know was actually there when it happened. is there anyone else that I can train from. Where are you from anyway???

Duncan
11-25-2001, 05:28 PM
What where the circumstances behind this "beating"?

Was it another Wing Chunner or someone from another style, or just some nutter in from the street?

I haven't heard this story, but had heard good things regarding the instructor. :confused:

Any information you can give, without this thread developing into a slanging match as is so often the case amoungst the various WC groups, would be welcome.

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (message on general Kung Fu forum)

*Fook the lot of 'em*

pakfayau
11-25-2001, 06:39 PM
I just heard from my friends that an idiot came in that was the same size as him and beat his ass without having to learn anything but being crazy to have a fight with a Wing Chun master. I only train at home now, with videos.

I feel that I'm improving slightly but I need pro training.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Nat from UK
11-25-2001, 07:27 PM
I live in a town called Hinckley

Half way between Coventry and Leicester -

I train twice weekly locally and travel down south to my Sifu as and when i can.

For what its worth - My mate trains with Shaun (he is at Uni in B'ham, and he hasn't mentioned anything about any incidents - So maybe a pinch of salt is in order - speak to sharky i think he trains in one of SR's schools

i know B'ham is a big town but i think he has a couple of classes.

You are more than welcome to train with me.

Nat from UK

pakfayau
11-26-2001, 10:46 AM
I was thinking of checking him out anyway, maybe next week when I finnish all my college work.

Ish
11-26-2001, 02:32 PM
Even if that story is true. just cos he got beat up by someone who could have any amount of experience for all you know, doesn't mean he isn't an excellent teacher. better than learning from videos

popsider
11-26-2001, 02:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken:
I train from a friend who trains from a guy called Abid. The reason that I don't want to train from rawcliffe is because everyone knows that he got beaten up in class by another person. Someone I know was actually there when it happened. is there anyone else that I can train from. Where are you from anyway???[/quote]

Your friend is part of the UKWCKF then. If you want to train with them then you'd be better training with Abid than your friend - seeing as he has clubs in Brum you may as well go to their top man locally.

Try Rawcliffe as well, I'm not saying what you claim didn't happen but it's quite possible (I'd say likely)this is a myth - there are plenty about in the wing chun world.

THen doesn't Victor Kan now have a club in Brum.

You are well situated for wing chun.
If you can't find something to suit you from those 3 then wing chun probably isn't for you.

pakfayau
11-27-2001, 01:08 PM
so there are this many wing Chun instructors in B'ham, which one would you recommend then? cus abid says bad things about SR, and I would have thought vice versa. I know I'm annoying but are they teaching WC or VC. cus on the internet I say these medals for VC award and on James Sinclare (abids teacher) Certificate I say VC as well.

Dave Farmer
11-28-2001, 09:31 AM
Hi Ken

I don't train with either association.

I do know Shaun personally though and to be honest, You wouldn't hear him bad mouthing someone behind their back.

He is a good teacher who knows his stuff.

regards

Dave F

'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

sanchezero
11-29-2001, 08:12 AM
Why don't you go check out all the places you can reach/afford reasonably. Most schools offer some sort of intro package and will usually talk to you all you want about their style (not that it'll all be true ;) ).

That way you can pick a place you'll at least be the most comfortable with and you can make a judgement about its value later.

Also, as was mentioned, you may want to ignore those Mysterious Brawl stories. The kung fu community can be a very sketchy place...

dezhen2001
12-08-2001, 07:59 AM
there seems to be a lot of good WC in b'ham man. Shaun Rawcliffe has a number of classes, and of course UKWCKF...

The Tse Qigong Centre also has a class there, which is very good. I've been there a few times, but my Sifu is up in Manchester...i'm in Wolves right now ;)

i agree with Sanchezero - i think you should look around, because finding a good club for yourself is very important...

thanks,
david :)