PDA

View Full Version : Did my first Wing Chun class yesterday...

straight blast
11-24-2001, 04:13 AM
And I am a convert!! I was so impressed. Now I think I am beginning to understand why so many people love it. It was so simple, direct, and nasty. I was showed in a two hour period how some of the wristlocks that I learned in JingWu are so much more devastating when applied down the centerline. Centerline this, centerline that, it was really good & I can't wait to start full time in February.
A lot of MA's that I've looked at claim that strength is not a factor in their techniques, and that you don't have to be bigger or stronger to make them work. Wing Chun holds true to this. I'm so impressed that I thought I should tell the world. Lord knows my poor wife has heard it enough for the past day! :D
Gotta go practise!

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

WCFish
11-24-2001, 05:53 AM
Hi SB glad you enjoyed your first lesson. If you don't mind telling, where and with whom are you training?

Tongue_of_Colibob
11-24-2001, 06:23 AM
Welcome to a whole new world.

straight blast
11-24-2001, 09:02 AM
I am training at the International Wing Chun Academy (Jim Fung's) on the Gold Coast. After taking a quick look at your profile I see you've spent some time doing the same thing. What did you think? I'll be training under Grant Mathers as I'm doing the Certificate IV tertiary course offered by the school. I start in February. Mucho impatient to begin.

"Forfeit the game
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

Mokujin
11-24-2001, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you have a long and educational journey ahead of you- good luck.

You mentioned you're studying at Jim Fung's International Wing Chun Academy. You probably own this book:

http://wing-chun.com.au/graphics/bluebo_1.jpg

Could you do a quick review? Is it worth the purchase?

Thanks for your time and good luck!

Peace!
:D

"He's on the jazz."

straight blast
11-25-2001, 12:29 AM
No I don't have the book. Undoubtedly I will buy it at some point but the lesson the other day was an introductory one. I did however buy the Jim Fung video. It's basically about Sil Lim Tao and it is excellent. The form is shown, broken down and every bit is explained. All applications are shown clearly and in a fair amount of detail. I was quite impressed with this video & would reccomend it to any newbie who is learning SLT, especially if you know the form but are unsure of the applications of all the moves as I was.
Who do you train with? Been training long? Do you have the book & if so what's your impression of it?
I will try & post a picture of the video...

"Forfeit the game
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

nobody
11-25-2001, 12:37 AM
i am a mantis guy myself, but its always nice to see someone find something they like :D

Mokujin
11-25-2001, 03:43 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Straight Blast:

"Who do you train with? Been training long? Do you have the book & if so what's your impression of it?"

No, unfortunately I haven't been training long (little less than a year). My instructor teaches me for free, but since I live in the country, I'm lucky if I get one lesson a week. :(

I don't have the book, but my instructor recommended it because of its detail on the Sil Lim Tao. The SLT demonstrated in the book is almost exactly the same as my instructor learned it. I'll pick it up, eventually, but not any time soon.

Peace!

Mokujin
"He's on the jazz."

wingchunalex
11-25-2001, 04:46 AM
i like the automatic thing you have that comes up at the end of you posts. that is my favorite song. i love to listen to it before i go to w.c. cause it reminds me of our strategy to keep applying pressure. good luck to your training. and welcome to the forum.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

straight blast
11-25-2001, 01:06 PM
Linkin Park are f**kin' awesome! My fave songs are "Crawling" & "In the End". But I find that the "Points of Authority" quote as my signature sums up my Martial Arts urge to keep ahead before I get left behind.
I like the analogy of the wing chun pushing forward strategy too. Be excellent!

"Forfeit the game
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

WCFish
11-26-2001, 04:44 AM
Hi SB,
Wing chun is a system which has many interpretations, as you would be aware. For me the Jim Fung system was not the one, however that does not mean I think it less effective for someone else. i.e. Some people find it very effective and can use it well, it just wasn't right for me.
I like Barry Lees way and I also know a few people who like Rick Spains way and can use it well..."horses for courses", right.
Anyway, enjoy your training and keep an open mind about other systems. Looking at your background I'm sure that won't be a problem.
Good luck!
WCFis :cool:

vingtsunstudent
11-26-2001, 07:33 AM
hey wc fish
it's anthony here, was just wondering if you are still training with theo & how things might be going for you.
vts

WCFish
11-26-2001, 10:50 PM
Hi VTS,
Yeah I'm still training at Theo's place, although not as much as I would like, you know how it is with work and all. I'm progressing slowly and still enjoying it.
Maybe I'll see you some time in the near future.
Take care.
Mark S.