PDA

View Full Version : Conference CVD

Nat from UK
11-25-2001, 03:02 PM
Ordered mine - worked out at £9(pounds sterling) including carriage (ordered 5).

So dont pay more than a tenner, seen it for sale in MA shop for £39 !!!

Any body got theirs yet, is it as good as i am expecting ????

Nat from UK

edward
11-25-2001, 03:18 PM
when did this vcd conference all take place and do they plan on having another one?

jameswebsteruk
11-25-2001, 05:06 PM
Took place three years ago.

There were about 600 people there, roughly half from HK/China, the rest from all over the world.

There was a poll afterwards which was aimed at determining how often they should have one. I think most people reckoned every 3 years was plenty often enough.

Note, it has taken 3 years for the official VCD to be produced, which is blooody ridiculous, as they banned all personal video recording of the event, promising a speedy release of the footage.

Is it worth it? Probably if you have an interest in seeing many different "names" and a few different lineages. The advantage if you werent there is that the interminable Chinese/English speeches have been largely removed, leaving the cooler stuff. And it was blooody freezing in the hall, the air conditioning was so high, so you can watch in the warmth of your living room.

Some of the demonstrations were, IMO, truly awful, but others were good.

And, of course, if you are really lucky, get a glimpse of yours truly, probably looking like a spaced out grinning halfwit.

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

chisauking
11-25-2001, 08:51 PM
Received mine within 10-days of ordering. If you judge the production of the VCD by professional standards, then it’s quite poor. The quality is OK, and the content is OK, but the translation for the speeches was mediocre at best. If you judge the VCD by amateur standards, which it is, then it’s quite good. Lots of names for you to pick out, and some of the demos were quite good. However, if you take into consideration the price of the VCD -- $35HK – which works out at approx. $4 US dollars, then it’s a bargain. All in all, money well spent if you are a wing chun enthusiast. It certainly caused a few chuckles between my friends when we saw Stephen Chow – one of Hong Kong’s biggest movie stars – in the crowd. Believe it or not, he’s a wing chun nut, and plans were in the pipeline for him to make a film on wing chun. It’s nice to see how some of our gung-fu brothers perform their wing chun forms and chisau. Regardless of the differing standards on display, it was quite fascinating to see the differences.

I hope I can personally attend the next conference, and I will insist that they employ a professional compere, or a better translator at least.

[Censored]
11-26-2001, 09:45 PM
Do you have any details?

chisauking
11-27-2001, 12:22 AM
Censored:

It may well be that the project will be put on hold indefinitely. Stephen Chow wanted Wong Sheung Leung to play a major role, but due to Wong sifu’s untimely death, there are no further plans to resurrect the project. However, due to Stephen’s interest in the martial arts, he want on to make Shaolin Football, a martial arts based comedy.

[Censored]
11-27-2001, 02:08 AM
However, due to Stephen’s interest in the martial arts, he want on to make Shaolin Football, a martial arts based comedy.

Is this the same movie as "Shaolin Soccer"?

Gluteus Maximus
11-27-2001, 06:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is this the same movie as "Shaolin Soccer"? [/quote]

LOL. They made a whole suite of Shaolin sport movies. First they made "Shaolin Baseball", then "Shaolin Softball" (so the girls wouldn't feel left out). Can't forget the kids, so "Shaolin T-Ball" was the next one in the series. I heard they're currently filming "Shaolin Cricket" in Australia too.
;)

Max

Nat from UK
11-29-2001, 11:40 AM
My Conference vcd's arrived today,

My DVD player wont play them, it is only a basic one, what software do you need to play them on a pc??

Any one help??

Thanks

Nat from UK

jameswebsteruk
11-29-2001, 12:49 PM
You can play it in Windows Media player. File-Open, go to the Mpegav directory on the CD, then change the file types to "All Files *.*"
You will see one or more .DAT files, the largest of these, usually >650 megs is the video. Open this and it will run fine.

The .DAT format is actually mpeg1, with extra streaming info. You could if you wanted use a program called VCDGear to decode and copy it straight to your hard drive as a .mpg file. If you have the space it saves you mucking about with cds when you want to watch it.

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!