PDA

View Full Version : How to fix knee pain

Wdhc
08-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Here is a video on posting today to show instability in my knees. I had a muscle test for knee pain and shin splints, and they always leave me ruined for a day or 2. Tomorrow i will post the video on how to fix it.

https://youtu.be/_SFOjWJJfyU

Wdhc
08-19-2019, 07:48 AM
I apologize for the delay, knee pain video coming tonight

Wdhc
08-19-2019, 11:48 PM
https://youtu.be/LmEAPPeoKYs

GeneChing
08-20-2019, 07:44 AM
I posted them on your knee strengthening (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?9726-knee-strengthening) thread, Wdhc, but I'll repost them here...cuz we gotta sell mags to keep this forum running, ya know? ;)

Avoiding Knee Pain from Taiji Practice
Edited and translated by Andrew Wong

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/4338_KFM2019-Spring.jpg
SPRING 2019 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1472)

Are Your Knees Dead?
Tai Chi and Knee Health
By Xinghong Wang

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/4575_KFM2019-Summer-Cover.jpg
SUMMER 2019 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=1487)

No_Know
08-21-2019, 05:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3MLQtSG5bs

No_Know exercise for Bagua In turning +.

No_Know

Djuan
08-22-2019, 07:14 PM
::::sigh::::
Im 34 years young and I *kneed the info in this thread ..... :o

and to make it more fun, I have those issues and did not read the articles about knee health, because when I got the mags, my knee was happy, now he's grumpy.
smh, well I'll be going through the articles now.
KFTC magazine for the win!
thanks again,

Amituofo!

Djuan
08-22-2019, 07:49 PM
happened when I was in gong bu a couple nights ago, my right knee was the forward (bent) knee in the stance, I was locking the stance, and I felt a shift and a subtle pop that actually feels good.
Now when I straighten my right leg and make it tense, squeezing all the muscles, then slowly lean forward into R gong bu, I get that same "feel good" pop. Now, though Im sayig it feels good, its awkward and painful enough for me to know it shouldnt be doing that. anyone have this pain before and if so, what going on?

Amituofo

No_Know
08-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Unless you're saying one or more of this compilation of exercises might fix a person's knee pain which you didn't specifically say that, If my knee hurts right now how do I fix it from your video...the actual how to fix didn't communicate to me if it's there in that video.

I don't want you to fix my knees nor help but the exercises, some are standards for prevention, Including prevention was good because it's other than a straight Fix video some might think.

No_Know

Djuan
08-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Did some deep stretching and fixed it.....will make a video explanation soon.
Amituofo

Wdhc
08-24-2019, 04:40 PM
The fix in my video is more prevention, but I could barely walk last Friday due to knee pain. After i done that routine twice i felt better. I participated in a texas meetup today

No_Know
08-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Wdhc you seem very active.

No_Know

Wdhc
08-25-2019, 11:26 PM
I try to be. If things work out here in the near future, I will be a lot more active.

Djuan
08-26-2019, 09:16 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jeaxvVqqI

heres a video of me working thru the "good pain" and popping my knee as well, which I didn't plan on happening. So you can get an idea of what I was saying about stretching it out. basically leaning into gong bu, and then pressing my foot down into the ground and gripping with my toes, then slowly retracting the stance to straighten my leg and pop/align my knee manually. :o .....trying to avoid bad gongfu knees, if you have any pointers or self therapy suggestions, for a tall person practicing a lot of low stances let me know please!
thanks
Amituofo

Wdhc
08-26-2019, 01:19 PM
Wow. I am so sorry but that gave me some really bad sympathy pains just watching it. I got through about 1 minute and 29 seconds and had to stop.

Please please please stop that routine for now.

As we grow older, our body develops habits. It's natural and out way of life. When we have pain, we limp or change the way we do things to compensate. This compensation causes our muscles to develop differently. This makes one side stronger, the other side not as strong. For me, I walked with my toes slightly pointing out. This made my inner knees weaker and caused my patella to inflame and the meniscus to wear more with movement. I had to physically straighten my toes before walking to fix myself.

Everyone is different. If you can post a video if you walking, I could help better. But for now, when stretching, you are putting way too much stress on your knees. Here are some rules that may help.
1. NEVER let your knee pass your toes while standing
2. Do not bounce with your stretch.
3. Do not lock your knees EVER.

Also you may be going to low for your knees putting more strain on them. Start by feet shoulder width apart. Sink to allow knees to bend and not pass your toes. Step out as far as you comfortably can, heel touches floor. You should be able to still lift your heel off the floor with no problem. Start training there, and as you train slowly go lower, and make sure you keep that control. This will slowly strengthen the muscles around your knees, ankles and hips.

Djuan
08-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Wow. I am so sorry but that gave me some really bad sympathy pains just watching it. I got through about 1 minute and 29 seconds and had to stop.

Please please please stop that routine for now.

As we grow older, our body develops habits. It's natural and out way of life. When we have pain, we limp or change the way we do things to compensate. This compensation causes our muscles to develop differently. This makes one side stronger, the other side not as strong. For me, I walked with my toes slightly pointing out. This made my inner knees weaker and caused my patella to inflame and the meniscus to wear more with movement. I had to physically straighten my toes before walking to fix myself.

Everyone is different. If you can post a video if you walking, I could help better. But for now, when stretching, you are putting way too much stress on your knees. Here are some rules that may help.
1. NEVER let your knee pass your toes while standing
2. Do not bounce with your stretch.
3. Do not lock your knees EVER.

Also you may be going to low for your knees putting more strain on them. Start by feet shoulder width apart. Sink to allow knees to bend and not pass your toes. Step out as far as you comfortably can, heel touches floor. You should be able to still lift your heel off the floor with no problem. Start training there, and as you train slowly go lower, and make sure you keep that control. This will slowly strengthen the muscles around your knees, ankles and hips.

Thanks man, I appreciate the concern lol you dont have to worry about that routine though, I only did it for the forum to explain and give example of how Im able to stretch and somewhat extend beyond whats needed to get a certain "pop" in the knee, and rotate it still, also while washing my joints (Im still breathing as well) and loosening my lower leg. it looks more painful than it is, and as poor of a technique it is and as bad as it sounds, I actually only do it for adverse therapy. for example , doing that causes me no harm and makes long hours of gong bu or taolu a bit more comfy.

also I have no pain or limp when I walk lol......maybe my post was misleading. what I was initially saying is I got a wierd "restricted feeling in my knee one day, while in gong bu, so on that day I "went too far" with the stance on purpose, in both directions, to get thru the restriction. during that time, I felt a "good feeling pop" which released the tension. I was giving the visual example and verbal description to see if anyone knew how to get that same good effect without extending too far either way..
lol
you almost make me want to upload a video of me breakdancing hahahahhaha just to ease your visual pain .....

if you had sore eyes watching that, you should see how the new students, from the young to old, are literally forced into the splits, in both directions , when they start training.

No_Know
08-27-2019, 05:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blYxIGHPYTQ (You do not need parallel thigh to do the stance) In fact the angle of the thigh should reflect your skill level.--higher either means you are more functional user you fight or do applications. Deeper is more for training-better flexibility should come from drills as form practice a combination functional and training. Flexibility by drilling flexibility is more show and allows ability to get into position but require strength and functionality for better usable.

Keep your heels on the ground unless you do a cat stance /false step stance.

Rear foot is always toes forward flat foot. You can be completely straight if you step to the side of your front foot. This turns in the thigh supporting your stance I think.-Ernie Moore Jr.

When you step forward step-out some so the heels are not on the same line in that direction.

Use socks wit grip on bottom or no socks or a mat with more friction--slipping stresses your knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hlxYxUhwjY&feature=youtu.be (And visuals:on stance heel line and exercises-No_Know)

No_Know
08-27-2019, 06:05 AM
Flex (bend), tighten, (keep tightening throughout)slow extend; play with twisting as extending...that's the wiggling the air from it's stuck place for it to pass.-Ernie Moore Jr.

Wdhc
08-27-2019, 11:26 PM
Lol I'm glad I don't train there then

Djuan
08-28-2019, 04:38 PM
@ No_Know, I appreciate the input man, I have been working on my R knee for a while now, it's much better than it was a year ago. I will try to get another video up of some positive results
...... aaaaand maybe some stances.
just for sport & the discussion, keep the forum moving, plus it serves for understanding clearly, we can exchange some education. Shaolin is big on stances, 5 specific stances, you will see them in forms all the time.......so much so people think theres no practical use
yet in application, the variations and ranges are limitless. so we practice "shrinking" the small and expanding the big to build explosive response strength. to withdraw and expand, recoil, pull, push etc, all these movements come from that basic stance training (6 harmonies, starting from the feet or root). so for discussion sake, I might go into it some here, though I'm sure its probably covered some where in the deep pool archives lol .....this stuff never gets boring to me, so we can talk about it again. :p

@ WDHC , we have it easy in most American schools, they dont make splits a requirement, nor hours of horse stance. lol I dont know what I would say to having my legs forced into splits at this age lol. as a kid, I might not worry so much.

Amituofo

No_Know
08-31-2019, 10:08 AM
There's things I like that might be different frommmmm much of the Martial arts communities..But here's this, For you and your situation as I might now get it better. Your people like that show it in full regardless of your skill...

Please understand Djuan the knee is not there--it is not a thing to exercise manipulate nor fix (but you have been working it.. so No_Know don't know...)

The knee is a capped area behind which two parts of bone come close and pressure off of each other perhaps with adjoining connectors for stability variation

Massage the calf--apply heat to open-stretch it. also above the ankle rub in here to stretch but manipulation. Two more the aft leg between hip and articulation--knee.heat-rubbing massage at bottom of thigh and where hip meets waist front side. [Where butt meets thighs and buttock might could stand relaxing to help your knee because in Squirrel its a connection of lines that tense and pull on the rest of the line. play with releasing tenion at places in the line small choice areas give the flexibility-Ernie Moore Jr.

Don't think of massaging muscle-think of polishing/scouring bone (Squirrel-Ernie Moore Jr)

No_Know

Less tension to the muscles on the ends--hip top- thigh bottom;shin top (front and back) Achilles tendon area leg bottom above ankle all the way around.-Ernie Moore Jr.

No_Know

Djuan
08-31-2019, 10:31 AM
heres a short clip of some knee mobility therapy I do for balance and stability. this small excercise, surprisingly has a lot of benefit to the whole body, specifically the core area, thigh, and KNEEEEEES! lol. the slower the better.

https://youtu.be/CB_4IxgxREg

theres a few ways to work into the position, I like to start in DuLiBu for the knee work.

Amituofo