PDA

View Full Version : WT lat-sao

Nichiren
11-27-2001, 05:07 PM
Has anyone tried the WT lat-sao? If you have what do you think about it?

I wonder because the WC I train now don't have a similar sparring method but uses a type of sparring chi-sao.

saulauchung
11-27-2001, 05:19 PM
Hi, what is lat-sao, BTW?

:cool:

Nichiren
11-27-2001, 05:45 PM
Lat-sao is the bridge between chi-sao and free fighting in WT.

You square of facing your opponent with you lead foot behind the opponents lead foot. This is the distance. You can of course shift side during the lat-sao. When you get advanced this isn't necessary because you will always have the correct in-your-face distance.

And then you try to hit your opponent with punches, kicks, elbows etc. This is done in a controlled manner and e.g. pak punch is used to counter. You often end up in chis-sao like situations.

Its hard to describe but it is a really good and controlled way to introduce beginners to sparring using WT methods.

fmann
11-27-2001, 06:30 PM
And when it gets higher, it also becomes free flowing like chi-sao. So it's not like poon sau and rolling hands, but you're trying to apply your chi-sao sensitivity in constant motion.

I feel it is a very good tool in building confidence and comfort in WT. Also, it gives people experience in to what works and why.

rubthebuddha
11-27-2001, 07:42 PM
aye, i've tried it, and we still do it. (i even get to teach the basics of it tonight to some rather fresh, new students). while lat sau is just basically the unstuck precursor to chi sau (no contact, one person or both attack, you make bridge and ... you guessed it! chi sau!)

before i get to the basics, i'll give a refresher on WT footwork. in jin ma (side stance), all of our weight is on the back foot. that's not to say the front foot is insubstantial, but the upper body is pretty much sitting down on the back leg. and yes, we're still adducting with the legs.

now the basics: students both set up in jin ma with their front shins connected (think very rudimentary chi gerk). both students are square to each other, and both are simply chain punching. if each student is punching from their centerline, they wedge each other off nicely, with no knuckle-to-knuckle bashing. this is just the basics. from here, you can feed tan/bong/jum/kau sau and a ton of other options while connected. you can feed kicks, elbows, knees.

i must say that this is solely a drill. it's useful because, when done aggressively, students get more comfortable with proximity, develop better reflexes, and it all sets the stage for being quick when disconnected, keeping legs checked and making sure you're familiar with the myriad of techniques one can apply from this.

as far as a drill or training tool, i like it. there are several variations of it (europe does it differently than north america), but the goals and the principles are the same. it forces you to be relaxed, have good footwork and a strong stance, and it makes newer students more comfy with contact and proximity quickly.

there, take that. :)

-rtb

StormRider
11-28-2001, 12:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nichiren:
Lat-sao is the bridge between chi-sao and free fighting in WT.

[/quote]

What about Mai San Jong?