PDA

View Full Version : Big Cats

Starchaser107
11-16-2001, 01:34 AM
I made an inquiry a while back on this forum about snake and leapord forms/styles. i was referred to a few links but nothing that really took the shape of the answers i was looking for, This question is specifically about the leapord or panther. In the traditional five animals (dragon,snake,tiger,crane, and leapord) every other animal has thier own school , where are the leapord schools. I know choy lay fut uses pow chuan (leapord fists) but Im curious as to why theres little or no mention of the leapord style?
My sifu told me that these forms are rare. everybody seems to be very vague and mysterious concerning this? maybe its just my luck , but Ive never encountered a leapord stylist in all my training , only styles which incooperate leapord strikes and a few techniques, one of my own forms included. any information out there that you guys care to share?

"everything is everything"

Kung Lek
11-16-2001, 07:14 PM
Ha Say Fu (4 lower tigers) also known as original 5 animals and Old style Hung fist. contains an entire set of leopard.

Snake style is all over the place, northern, southern, sets in other systems, there's lot's of snake stuff out there.

Some "styles" contain only a single set. Be happy with what's out there. It's all good stuff.

anyway, check out wing lam for his snake vid from the 4 lower tigers system he has, also try to dig up an old Wu Chi Nyu video collection if you can find it, he has a northern snake set that is pretty impressive. And there are plenty of others out there.

The best panther stuff I've seen is in the Ha Say Fu style though. pretty comprehensive.

Pao Choy is "Upper cut" in CLF and Leopard fist in other styles.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

jon
11-17-2001, 04:44 PM
I belive leopard can be used as a system in itself but due to its own use it would have some limitations.
Leopard is used in the five animals to strike joints and presure points its also used to cut slash rake and do many other unpleasent things.
However leopard is also a very aggressive system and doesnt really contain blocks so much as strikes that deflect.
To teach a student only leopard would be very hard and take a LONG time. Also the student would be at a big disadvantage in combat for a long time due to the conditioning involved in building up the fist.
I study Hung Ga and leopard tends to come out as a quick strike at a vulnerable target or a way of blocking whilst advancing in.
This is just based on my study though and i havent learnt enough to say definatly i just think a whole system based on leopard is not really possible in this day and age.
When you can do leopard fist push ups on hard ground your ready to make a system out of it...

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Starchaser107
11-18-2001, 09:49 PM
respect

"everything is everything"