PDA

View Full Version : Back strength

Tzu Jan Mustapha
11-05-2001, 05:18 AM
I need some good advice on how to strengthen my lower back. Any advice is welcome. I would prefer specific answers rather than vague ones.

THANX in advance

TJM

joedoe
11-05-2001, 05:21 AM
What did you do to your back?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Martial Joe
11-05-2001, 05:22 AM
Sit ups and back extentions.
Stretch too...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

prana
11-05-2001, 05:36 AM
Tie two slings slightly more than shoulder width apart. Hang on and lift your legs up and over your head until you are horizontal, body facing ground.

Alternate between moving your leg to the fully horizontal position and resisting its drop to vertical.

Felipe Bido
11-05-2001, 05:37 AM
There's an excercise in yoga that can help you.: Lay face down on the floor, knees touching the floor, too (Not pointing to the sides), your toes pointing backwards, not touching the ground. Place your hands on the back of your neck, and raise your torso. Now you are looking to the front, with your back arched, and your chest off the ground. Your hands are putting pressure on your neck. Stay there for a while, trying to relax. Breathe naturally

Lower your torso and rest. Repeat again. Eventually, increase the time you remain in the raised posture.

Sorry for any misspellings. I hope this helps you.

-------------------------Anybody who goes to see a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
--Samuel Goldwin

[This message was edited by Felipe Bido on 11-05-01 at 08:03 PM.]

Johnny Hot Shot
11-05-2001, 06:35 AM
Abs, Abs, Abs also Do Back extensions and Good Mornings.

Here's some good Info for you at Men's health (http://www.menshealth.com/personaltrainer/back/index.html). I really like this magazine, I have used the workouts and found them to be quite helpful.

Good luck

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Stranger
11-05-2001, 07:01 AM
bridge

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

anerlich
11-05-2001, 07:02 AM
If you have injuries or recurring pain, see a physiotherapist who can give you specific exercises to strengthen YOUR weak spots. I've been through this and can relate at length if anyone is interested.

If your back is in good health, one word sums up everything you'll ever need:

DEADLIFTS.

LEGEND
11-05-2001, 05:13 PM
deadlifts!

A

JWTAYLOR
11-05-2001, 05:23 PM
Three replies here, when done all together, will give you a back absolute of steel. No, really, bullets will bounce off your back. Baseball bats will slide off of you. When someone shoves a knife in you spine, you will play with them.

Those are,
brige
deadlifts
abs.

For an incredible briging exercise, go to www.mattfurey.com (http://www.mattfurey.com). I've finally gotten up to the 2 minute feet flat bridge. It took me around a year to get to there. It does wonders for your lower back. Do it every night, or every other night, and I guarantee you in a month any lower back pain will be gone.

Deadlifts should be done HEAVY, as heavy as you possibly can bear. Enough weight that it stresses your whole body. I know allot of people on the board dissagree with me, but go super heavy and wear a friggin weight belt.

As for abs, they are the opposing muscle to your back, and provide both resistance and support for you back. Your abs are like your internal weight belt.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

[This message was edited by Jon Wayne Taylor on 11-06-01 at 07:39 AM.]

Merryprankster
11-07-2001, 07:27 PM
What JWT said.

Ensure you receive proper instruction on the deadlift though and always perform it properly. It's not an exercise you "try as hard as you can, and if you just don't get it keep pushing," like a curl or something. Drop the weight, back off, rest, THEN try again.

I blew my back out with only 290 lbs!

IronFist
11-07-2001, 07:51 PM
why are so many people recommending ab workouts for lower back? the Abs are antagonist muscles to the lower back. If you work your abs too much while neglecting your lower back, you will have a better chance of hurting your lower back while doing something. It's like why runners pull their hamstrings... running is good for your quads, but completely ignores the hamstrings. As a result, the quad becomes too strong (proportionally speaking) for the hamstring and the hamstring ends up getting hurt.

Recommending ab work is like telling someone to do bicep curls if they want stronger triceps.

So, like everyone said on the training forum, deadlifts are your best bet. That or hyperextensions (where you put your feet on that little bench thing and your upper body hangs of and you do like reverse situps.)

Iron

Merryprankster
11-07-2001, 08:01 PM
Ironfist,

Sprinters pull their hamstrings because the force they exert is enormous. As a matter of fact, sprinters usually have enormous, well developed hamstrings because they are taught to reach out long with their leg and foot, land on the balls of their feet, and use their spikes to help "pull" their body into position for the push from the quads.

Ab work is recommended because ab work and oblique work stabilize the trunk, improving posture, which relieves strain on the lower back. If your abs are strong, you can lock your trunk in place better during athletic activities that require it.

Kumkuat
11-07-2001, 08:48 PM
just do deadlifts. It will strengthen back and abs anyway. Not to mention couple thousand other body parts.

JWTAYLOR
11-07-2001, 10:21 PM
I'd just like to second everything MP just said.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-07-2001, 10:57 PM
just come over to my house and give me head bent over at the waist with absolutely no neck movement.

keep your hands on your hips and really focus on keeping your back as straight as you can through out the entire exercise.

do 1 set of a couple hundered reps and i'll be asking you to leave in no time!!!

you get a strong back while getting to give me head!!!!

you can't lose!!!

where's my beer?

Merryprankster
11-07-2001, 11:19 PM
This is some odd definition of the phrase "you can't lose," I don't think I've seen before....

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-08-2001, 12:11 AM
i'm just trying to do him a favor.

where's my beer?

JWTAYLOR
11-08-2001, 12:25 AM
:D
JWT