PDA

View Full Version : Da Luohan and other Basic Application

Djuan
12-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Recently been pouring thru videos looking for a way, without doing the demo myself, to explain how to extract application from forms, specificcally Songshan Shaolin Taolu old frame stuff like Da Luohan, Hong Quan, Xin Yi sect hands, etc. Its the most important work in my training at the moment.

I'll be sharing whatever I find and put together here for you all to pick at and dissect for your own study and. comparison to what you practice.
With the first video, I took a performance from Shi De Yangs most recent Da Luohan dvd, because I'm told he performs the closest version of the full old frame available on video, aside from that, we would have to go to Songshan and find the few who (might possibly) know the full OG Da Luohan and film them, which aint happenin no time soon at least.

In this forum I did some searching and RenDaHai has explained to some degree how the taolu work, being there are basic components that function together to make a form, they all contain thousands of variables of applications, once you know the components building the movement.
The first segment of Da Luohan houses thousands of applications alone, I chose to work with 4 moves in the middle of the form, Hou Deng Tui to Luóhàn xiūxí to Mǎ bù Dān pào, and a "coiling elbow" lol. (note: the coiling elbow is in hong boxing as well, just initiated differently)
.....I like this segment of the form because you can see how many ways you can apply these simple moves, with tons of combat variations, in any situation. Like Hou deng tui, can be done ducking, retreating, intercepting, countering, trapping, etc, with many options for the hands while the feet work.

anyhow, I chose some footage from old She De Jian documentary as well to help show some variations, and I'm working on a few more videos with collections of applications from taolu. the goal is to have this stuff archived in one spot where we can reference and look at the forms and applications and work on them in our classes, or training, or for personal use or just to study and pick at.

People are complaining that "kung fu" is getting lazy with training forms and only using San Da for fighting, and sleeping on the taolu application which is where SanDa pulled its striking and take downs from, between Songshan Shaolin and Bak Sil Lum, there is more than an encyclopedia of fighting knowledge!
and to use in the ring, is just a matter footwork, and making sure you use it within the rules of the ring you enter.

Its ignorant and lazy to overlook these curriculum, and rush to boxing or kickboxing/sanshou training thinking thats a quick fix, its a means to an end yet it doesnt encompass the fullness of what Shaolin offers. Like OG shuai jiao, there some in Da Luohan, there's chin-na and quan-fa. guess what, You need them ALL to be a "MMAist", not by the definition of MMA as muay thai and bjj either, because thats what most people think mma is thanks to the UFC.
Proper definition of MMA is; standing and striking + ground fighting (groundstriking/take downs/grappling) + standing grappling (joint locking, seizing etc) .....TCMA, specifically Shaolin Taolu is loaded with all of that, and some. its just hidden in the dance, and few people will share whats really in there properly, either because they dont know it, or dont want to share it. Big love to all the teachers and students who share! Sharing is caring. :p

Amituofo

Djuan
12-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Heres the video, pardon the speed and quality, you might have to watch it a few times.
Amituofo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLaffvIEi4