PDA

View Full Version : information on becoming a docter of TCM

CanadianBadAss
11-28-2001, 01:10 AM
Hello
I still have almost 2 years left... But when I get out of high school I want to get a PhD in TCM (do any schools offer a PhD in TCM?). Any way I was wondering if any one could post a list of TCM schools, preferably in Hong Kong (so I can study wing chun with my sifus teacher). Also, would it be hard to find a part time job in Hong Kong to pay for school? How much does a doctor in TCM usually make per year? Well… basically if you have any information related to what I’m talking about post it up too… thanks

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

Kung Lek
11-28-2001, 06:34 AM
cba, you can only get a certification in the west for tcm practice.

to acquire a phd in the field you would need to study in china or another asian country. India has programs for ayur vedic study as well.
the doctorate would not allow you to open a gp in the west here and to do both under the title of doctor here you would need to acquire a masters in medicine from an accredited university in north america. you could then call yourself and md or medical doctor and practice with a licence and as well to have the masters and md title would allow you to further explore tcm in the applied field so long as you knew the weight of what it was that you were doing.

currently, the lines are fairly open on tcm and many doctors of it practice in the west, but they do so without a licence.nor do they hold "valid" phd's here in the west unless they do have a medicinal phd from a western school.

that's life, perhaps as the times change more, this will change along with them.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Pilgrim
12-08-2001, 01:24 PM
Good luck in your hope of practicing Chinese medicine in the future. While still being a beginner, been in the field of Chinese medicine since 1989, here's some advice: get your schooling in Canada. Canada is in the process of regulating and licensing Chinese medicine and by the time you're ready for school, most of the bugs regarding regulation will be worked out. Your schooling will also be accredited, hence you'll be able to take the tests for the upcoming mandatory licensing exams the provinces will be offering. Canadians from Vancouver, Edmondton, Toronto, and Calgary have come down to the states to train where I work. I work at a public health facility. They seem to be good practitioners and it seems that the various schools they have attended all have options to train in a "sister"school located in China. There are two schools of Chinese medicine in Vancouver, talk to them to get the real story.
Guess the earlier post was long winded, excuse me kune lik.

Ka
12-08-2001, 02:57 PM
Hey I can recommend UTS Sycney Australia which offers TCN combined BSc and BA (language,Chinese) and has an in country compoent.Its a 6 year course but Sydney has good weather is close to Asia and the exchage rate is great at the moment

CanadianBadAss
12-10-2001, 05:56 PM
http://www.tcmcollege.com i found this school thats in vancouver, in a 5 year program i could be a dr. in TCM, but if i spen 5 years getting this degree will there be any market for a dr. in TCM? and will i have to practice in BC?

prana
12-11-2001, 02:21 PM
I know it is not Chinese Medicine but here is siomething I found for you ....

The script is in Sanskrit, not Tibetan language. This is the Medicine Buddha Mantra that all Tibetan doctors recite each morning before they start their work.

Patients may also recite the mantra before taking the medicine or "ciudlen" pills (an abstract essence for rejuvenation) transformed into a nectar for healing all body-mind and speech disequilibrium and fulfilling the desire for wellness. This is how it sounds:

om namo bhagawate beshajye guru
vaidurya prabha rajaya tathagataya
arhte sammyaksambuddhaya tadyatha
om bheshajye beshajye maha beshajye
beshajye rajaya samungate svaha

Pilgrim
12-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Of course there is a market for practitioners of Chinese medicine, now and five years, 50,000 years from now. Just because you go to school does not mean you can make a living, just like you won't know everything after you get out of school. If you major in English, is there a market for that? What about lawyers or the trades? Inspiration and hard work are what counts in order to be good at any endeavor. Even with that, most Chinese medical practitioners work for themselves and if you have a poor business sense, you won't make it.

bearpaw
12-23-2001, 03:20 AM
I plan to apply here for grad school.
http://www.actcm.edu

hkphooey
12-27-2001, 08:35 AM
Pilgrim

can i ask you some questions about the canadian school option?? if so shoot me an email:

mydharma
@yahoo
.com

African Tiger
01-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Here is a web address I found by accident. They offer a distance learning class from China.

http://www.ontcm.com/training/index.htm

JAZA
01-08-2002, 08:50 PM
You can check Guangzhou University of Traditional Chinese Medicine http://www.gzhtcm.edu.cn/

Fu-Pow
01-09-2002, 03:56 PM
If you want to find a shorter path you could always become a doctor of naturopathic medicine, or an N.D. As far as I know there are only 3 accredited schools in U.S. One is Bastyr University in Seattle. It's a 5 year program. When you get out you can practice TCM or whatever and you can do a lot of things a regular doctor does, like give prescriptions.

Thats just a thought.

Good luck.