PDA

View Full Version : What REALLY makes you train??

Crimson Phoenix
11-05-2001, 11:49 AM
After reading Ironfist's "Do you share" topic, it made me think about what would I do if I ever become a teacher...but then after a mental disgression, I started asking myself why I was training...I obviously have good reasons, the mental focus, the discipline, workout, combat aspect etc...but pondering each and everyone of these reasons, I couldn't come up with a single one that could objectively be THE ultimate reason I train...For example, I don't particulalry train for the workout, I'm lucky to be naturally fit...I also don't train only for combat, my savate training in the past before I started gong fu enabled me to handle heated times on several occasion...so why do I train? What makes me go back for more, what makes me impatient and craving when for some reason I'm away from the kwoon and can't train??
Has it just become a habit??
How do you all feel on this topic and what are your personal reflections/opinions on your own practice or on practice in general??

David
11-05-2001, 01:03 PM
I'm here to know myself physically and physiologically. No other body-knowledge method comes close.

Without body-knowledge, I think there's a distinct lack. Before kung fu I was a bit of a mystic and my body was basically useless. Like with the Shaolin temple, Bodhidharma came over and woke those guys up to the potential in physicality.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

straight blast
11-05-2001, 01:08 PM
I guess that I'm a sucker for punishment. I just love training. I love the mental state achieved while training. I love the adrenaline rush of sparring. I love the feeling of mastering mind over body. It makes me feel good to push myself beyond my imagined limits. I like the camaraderie of fellow warriors. I like to feel that the moves I train have been trained by many individuals for many years...a living link to the past, if you will. I feel complete when training.
And I really like the experiences and fun stories that come out of training. I think for me training is the only thing that comes close to my passion for God. I believe that the two are one, anyhow.
Good thread, made me think heaps and made me feel good.

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

dedalus
11-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Interesting digression you've wandered off on CP - way to sow the seeds of existential angst!

I don't have a good answer to your question either, but nonetheless I'm quite committed to my training. It is indeed odd.

Maybe it's th "Ah ha!" experiences, in addition to the other benefits? David seems to be getting at that too. Peak experiences are rare in all spheres of human activity, but humans have always been seeking them out in one form or another. In this respect it's pretty interesting that Straight Blast compares religious passion to kung fu. Maybe a very astute observation...

Somehow good kung fu enriches life. It is both a vehicle and a lifestyle, a means and an end in itself.

Have you had any further thoughts?

Budokan
11-05-2001, 05:08 PM
I train now simply because I enjoy it (I've been doing it for so long, you see) and because I don't want my skills to degrade.

K. Mark Hoover

HuangKaiVun
11-05-2001, 05:21 PM
1) So nobody can bully me and I can hold my head high as a MAN

2) Kung fu makes me feel more alive because I'm naturally kinesthetic and aggressive

3) I can learn more about my Chinese heritage by training

4) One day, I want to open a school for profit.

Sharky
11-05-2001, 09:32 PM
Guilt

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

brucelee2
11-05-2001, 09:35 PM
One of the things I love most about kung fu is that in this crazy world it is one of the few things that MAKES SENSE. Not only the 'invisible' laws/rules to which it conforms, but also the fact that it is one of the few 'fair' things in life. You get what you give. You could spend 100 years trying to be rich or get a certain girl or make it in a certain career and still might fail, but in kung fu if you put in the time and energy correctly than you will be rewarded, and I think that's beautiful and sacred.

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

SevenStar
11-05-2001, 09:38 PM
It's just in me.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Johnny Hot Shot
11-05-2001, 09:39 PM
So does my urge to train , Flowing ever fast through my body...

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Nexus
11-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Sevenstar is our local Gatorade advertiser. *heh*

Everyone gave really great answers, most of which fall along the same reasons as my own.

I might add for myself physical/mental balance, harmonizing with the world around me, peace, meditation, a great tool for focus, and I especially enjoy the comment of "linking someone to the past" as most martial artists at some time or another learn about the history of their art, and what was done to make it the art it is today.

As for myself, most of all, it just feels right.

- Nexus

Robinf
11-05-2001, 09:55 PM
In the beginning, I was trying to push myself. See what limits I had and then break through them. It was both physical and mental. I'd always failed at this sort of thing in the past and I was sick of failing.

Now, 8 / 4 years later, it's just a part of my life--like breathing.

I also train hard to be able to teach. The human body is amazing--all it's bells, whistles and tools. That's a big reason why I teach right now and am willing to share anything I know (first with my sifu--I don't have my own classes yet). The way our own bodies can accomadate so much.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Dragon Spirit
11-05-2001, 10:12 PM
First I just want to say hello again to all my fellow martial artists and that its great to be back. This is my first post in about one year and it was this thread that bought me back here for good.

To me Martial Arts is a way of life, and without my daily training in kung fu, and weight lifting I know I would never improve. It's obivious to all of us that anyone who is serious about the martial arts must train consistently in order to reach the next level. Alot of fighters I know hate training, they lack the ability to turn hard work into something fun or enjoyable to make it easier. I must admit when I first started my pratice of kung fu I hated to train as well, but over time I realized what the martial arts really meant to me. Through hard work and dedication I have watched my skills grow and now, my training isnt just work anymore... it's not a job, its completing my soul. Every day I train I find out a little more about who I am, not only that but at the same time I learn how to defend myself, keep myself in good shape and learn a great deal of discipline. Once again, great thread, keep training guys!!!!

"I've been told a person should fight if there strong. I'm not strong, thats why I fight. I fight with myself, against myself."

joedoe
11-06-2001, 01:01 AM
I train for health and because I love the art. So much to learn, so little time :(

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

honorisc
11-06-2001, 02:39 AM
"What REALLY makes you train??"

My obligation to One called Sifu and the Grand Masters before, to learn the System One called Sifu teaches, that came down from them. Some-such~.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 03:52 AM
The thought that I may one day become a super saiya-jin

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Jeff Liboiron
11-06-2001, 03:57 AM
I train for a strong body, sharp mind, i feel very strong and refreshed after a workout, i have alot more selfconfidence now, and since i'm missing my leg it gives me the feeling of overcoming my disability and makes me say "hey i can do this as good as anyone with all four limbs."

These are the reasons i train.

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

neptunesfall
11-06-2001, 04:01 AM
i train to better myself, to improve myself.
the benefits i've received, i consider awesome.
paying for lessons is no repayment for what i've gained.

oh yeah, i also train so i don't get beat up.

zen_celt
11-06-2001, 05:48 AM
I feel like something is lacking if I go too long without training. It's also a good stress reliever. Keeps life in perspective.
-ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Ryu
11-06-2001, 05:56 AM
It's a secret :D shhhh!

........I.... aw, SevenStar stole my answer :(

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Martial Joe
11-06-2001, 06:09 AM
I will become a super NamiK!!!!!

Sevenstart already stole sayjain...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

azwingchun
11-06-2001, 06:10 AM
I have trained for a very long time, and for me to stop one day is completely out of the question. It has become more a part of my life, more than absolutely anything else. Though just as many of you, there are those days I feel like I just don't want to train. Though there is that one thing that gets me off my butt and still train in those situations. And that is a saying which I have posted before, and it is "You can never make up for yesterday".:D

SnowTiger
11-06-2001, 02:49 PM
:cool: i just love martial arts! :cool:

phipsi229
11-06-2001, 06:39 PM
When I talk to my classmates about this I usually ask 2 questions - why did you start and why do you stay.

I started for two reasons: I like martial arts movies and I needed a hobby. I needed something to occupy my time outside of work, and through a seemingly random series of events I got hooked up with a kung fu class and figured I would give it a shot.

Now I stay for many reasons, most of which have already been covered in previous posts - self discovery, discipline, workout, etc. - but there is more to it. I like my classmates. Through kung fu I have met people of all ages and walks of life and I have learned much from them other than martial aspects. Personally I am now more relaxed and I have not had any problems with insomnia for several months (I used to have terrible insomnia). Knowing that I can better defend myself is just icing on the cake.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Tiger Moon
11-07-2001, 10:32 AM
For starters, i am a Super Saiyan :-)

But on the question and thought at hand. I'd like to say it definitely was an awesome topic and said very intellectually. For me, it definitely makes me feel better about myself and how confident i am when im out and about. Without it, there was more being consious of everything and everyone around. But without hard work in training and working out, there would be no increase in power level sort of speak. So the main incentive to training to me is always going for a higher level in skill and wanting to be the strongest you can be as a whole, spiritually, and physically. good luck to all and i wish everyone the best.

~~Tiger(Goku) Moon~~ "AS ONE ALWAYS"

nightair
11-07-2001, 07:57 PM
I'm just a natural born fighter. I guess... :rolleyes:

---------------------------"uh oh, what is going to happen next?"

phantom
11-07-2001, 08:14 PM
It just makes me feel overall good, as well as give me confidence that I can defend myself.

Merryprankster
11-07-2001, 08:30 PM
First, I like what I do.

Secondly, my goals next April and July are to place/win the Pan-American BJJ championships in my division and place/win at the Mudials. Somebody, somewhere is trying to train harder than me to beat me. I can't let that happen, within the the other demands that life places on my time.

Nutt'nhunny
11-07-2001, 08:37 PM
love, I love it, I love to do it. I don't "work out" I play hard. Thats all.

KC Elbows
11-07-2001, 09:16 PM
I started because I loved kung fu.

Later I thought I should do it for self defense, discipline, and health.

Now I do it because I love it. The rest are just a fringe benefit.

Its like everything else I do. Because I write a lot, it helps my communication, my style, and my observational skills. But I only do it because I love it.

Now ask me why I do taxes.