PDA

View Full Version : the monk who trains Wu Tang Clan (rapers)

ope
10-03-2001, 05:32 AM
i just saw this guy, is he for real? i mean im not to imprest with his martial arts.. how the hell he ended up teaching these guys..

Mr. Nemo
10-03-2001, 05:39 AM
Yeah, and you gotta question the ethics of a guy that's willing to teach kung fu to a bunch of rapers.

fmann
10-03-2001, 05:47 AM
Well rappers (not rapers) are people, too. Why shouldn't they be taught kung fu?

ope
10-03-2001, 05:48 AM
no i dont mind him teaching.. i just wanna know if hes legit.. i mean hes soposed to be a monk.. is he a renegade monk or sumtin?

Mr. Nemo
10-03-2001, 05:56 AM
Rapers = people who rape. Ope mispelled "rappers" with only one p. It was a joke. And you ruined it. Thanks alot.

The guy's name is Shi Yanming. He's somehow associated with the shaolin temple. I think he's mostly modern wushu, not really a fighter.

ope
10-03-2001, 06:05 AM
yes i forgot to put in the p.. i meant rappers..

Johnny Hot Shot
10-03-2001, 06:17 AM
Monks Like money too. I know it's a horrible thought but it's true.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Xebsball
10-03-2001, 06:24 AM
I dont know if you can say Shi Yan Ming is not a figher, he trains San Shou wich makes him a fighter. Maybe not a tradicional kf fighter, but still a fighter.

-------------------------
"Faltou luz mas era Dia, o Sol invadiu a sala. Fez da tv um espelho, refletindo o que a gente esquecia."

ope
10-03-2001, 06:27 AM
you sure its not wushu? :) cause i saw him doin some crappy stuff.. but then again it wasnt much cant judge a book by its cover.. or unless you go in the ring in this case..

Xebsball
10-03-2001, 07:17 AM
I belive he does Wu Shu + San Shou + maybe some tradicional forms.

-------------------------
"Faltou luz mas era Dia, o Sol invadiu a sala. Fez da tv um espelho, refletindo o que a gente esquecia."

Mr. Nemo
10-03-2001, 07:35 AM
I didn't know he did san shou. I don't really know anything about him.

Shaolin
10-03-2001, 10:20 AM
I have trained with Shi Yan Ming and I don't mean to sound defensive. Master Ming is a real bonified Shaolin warrior monk who has won numerous temple awards. As far as his training he teaches traditional Shaolin wushu, the reason the drills he does look so foofooy is for strengthening, flexibility, balance, coordination, and agility. Why doesn't he act like a monk? There is more to being a shaolin monk than chanting and eating rice all day. Yes he has rapper student/friends, yes he drinks bottled water, yes his school brings in alot of money, but he's still a monk. You probably won't catch him eating meat none of us have, he still teaches buddism and goes to temple, he's compationit outside of training and hard core during class.

Wongsifu
10-03-2001, 11:21 AM
from what the teachers personal history is i wouldnt wipe my ass with him , the guy defected from the rest of the "shaolin monks " when they had their first a wushu demo in the usa, you know the one they do every year nowadays , they do one in britain also called the wheel of life where they break bricks on their gonads and stuff :eek:
its bad enough the guy has defected but the last picture i saw with him the guy is wearing rapper style clothing with 3 beotches around him and waving a wad of cash ... um yeah a chinese version of ALI G for ****s sake...

ope i'd really liek to see why youre not impressed with his kung fu ... what demo did you se ????

I wongsifu shall strike fear into the hearts of trolls and mma guys who **** me off on these forums oh and in real life.

David
10-03-2001, 11:52 AM
Rappers are famous for their humility, and service to mankind. Why shouldn't they hang out with a Monk (TM). :rolleyes:

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

David
10-03-2001, 11:54 AM
Rappers are famous for their humility, and service to mankind. Why shouldn't they hang out with a Monk (TM). :rolleyes:

For some reason I bought their video "Da mystery of Kung Fu" a while ago. It is complete sh!t. Inaudible commentary being almost a saving grace. I intend to throw it out in my clearout this week.

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

Dragon Warrior
10-03-2001, 01:50 PM
first of all, wu tang clan doesnt train with shi yan ming. Only a couple of it's members do, i think rza and ghost. and rza only does internal training now.

The wu tang clan and associates are some of the best musicians of our time. If you listen to their music consistantly, you will know that. They rap about humility, compasion, knowledge wisdom and understanding, etc. There is no reason to look down at shi yan ming for being friends with them.

but anyway, shi yan ming is definetely not a joke. This guy is for real. He used to do seminars at our school and he was amazing. I have never seen kicks that fast in my life. He could literally kill somebody with one kick. How can you doubt the monks when they train 8hrs a day, everyday, and you train maybe 8hrs a week.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

Wongsifu
10-03-2001, 01:59 PM
i dont doubt the mans ability as a martial artist i just think that he is a good example of what not to be , he loves his money his beotches his fame and he defected from the people, hmmm now that is somebody who shows us what martial arts is all about .

I read an interview with the rza and apparently he sounds like a nice guy when he was talking about when he went back to china to visit the temple etc etc...

About wu tag clan being some of the bests muscicians of our time , i beg to differ, THey are good but nowhere near the best.

I must admit i love their original 36 chambers album...

I wongsifu shall strike fear into the hearts of trolls and mma guys who **** me off on these forums oh and in real life.

BAI HE
10-03-2001, 03:30 PM
"he defected from the people"

Most of the Chinese Sifu in the U.S. did the same thing. Who would want to live under the Government of the PRC.

http://www.aiki-buken.com/images/sokaku.jpg

shaolinboxer
10-03-2001, 03:38 PM
I trained with Yan Ming for a while and served on his traveling demo/fighting team.

Yes, he does do a lot of wushu and he's quite good at it...and yes he teaches free sparring which can be used for San Shou...and yes he eats red meat drinks alchohol...and yes he is financially successful...and he really is incredible strong and fast. Although I would not recommend studying with him, there is no doubt in my mind that he has a hell of a lot of chi and is a great martial artist in his own way.

I detailed some of my experinces with him in the Shaolin Kung Fu forum if anyone is interested.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

ope
10-03-2001, 04:49 PM
i saw him as a guest on a show and he was asked to demonstrate his ability and some of his kungfu.. it looked like a bunch of wushu over exgrated kicks etc.. i guess he was nervous or overly excited cause he tryed to do a double front kick and failed miseribly.. i know we are all human and we make mistakes and i dont have any doubts about his ability im sure hes a great athlete but i was wondering if hes much of a fighter.. and yes i also heard he eats red meats and drinks alcohol..i was just curious because usualy monks that act this way were kicked out of the monastery and are not allowed to come back..

wisdom mind
10-03-2001, 05:20 PM
They rap about humility, compasion, knowledge wisdom and understanding, etc.

they also rap about getting girls to cheat on their mans and about selling crack and murdering people for money for organized crime syndicates. shallah raekwon the chef and ghostface are most prolific on this if you need reference.

yin yang goes both ways.

Shaolindynasty
10-03-2001, 05:37 PM
About Rappers, they are like actors the stuff they talk about in their music isn't always reflective of themselves. The Gangsta personality sells and alot of rappers liked those classic movies that I am sure people here would consider there favorites like the godfather, scarface etc. Would you say that the actors in these movies are not worthy of learning Kungfu? Also what makes any of you beleive you are worthy?

About Yan Ming I post about this all the time I think he is excellent. No one here has the right to condem him for eating meat or drinking wine(which are both "legal" for warrior monks at shaolin)I am sure most of you like to have a beer and a big steak. Looking down on him for defecting is stupid how do you think most of your sifu's got here today?

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

nightair
10-03-2001, 05:54 PM
what is the differnce between rappers and rockers?
they are all musicians. People need to look at music as a whole not the different genres.I play guitar and study kung-fu there is nothing wrong with that.Miyamoto Musashi said,"to study the sword study the guitar...".Wu tang clan may not be roll models but who is in the music industry?
People need to stop being close minded and just worry about things that really matter. :)

Stranger
10-03-2001, 05:54 PM
Wongsifu,
What is wrong with defecting?

Shaolindynasty,

I don't know in the case of the Wutang Clan, but the difference between the actors in the mafia movies you mentioned and Gangsta Rappers is that some members of the latter group don't drop character when they are not performing, and conduct themselves like real thugs. If it is just a character you play to make money, what is with all the VERY REAL guns, brawls, feuds, welfare fraud(Flava Flave) etc.

I know these incidents represent only a small number of rap stars, but when the rap community embraces the bad and the good, it makes it more difficult for an outsider to spot the mere characters from the thugs. Plus there is a tendency among the "characters" to deny they are posers out of fear of losing their street credibility.

There are criminals in all crouds, all styles, all scenes. I'm not putting all the bad press to rap. I was just trying to explain where some of the lines between image and reality are blurred.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Shaolindynasty
10-03-2001, 06:14 PM
Yeah but as you said there are shady characters in all facets of life. What people need to realise is that most rappers come from innercity life compare that to some hong kong sifu's or kungfu practitioners. What about the triads? They are ruthless gangsters they practice kungfu, I think people need to get out of their karate kid david carradine fantasy and see kungfu for what it can be. If you chose to be "evil" or you chose to be "good" you still will have a place somewhere in the martial arts. I won't lie somtimes I do or have done pretty shady stuff kungfu made me smarter(or maybe got smarter from getting older)I cheat on my taxes, I drive with no license and a couple of years ago I used to break into cars. Kungfu didn't teach me to be more Moral in character but it takes up all my time and gave me some direction. Some teachers are saints and that is good but don't condem those who aren't cause it's only a matter of perspective.

one last point
"what is with all the VERY REAL guns, brawls, feuds, welfare fraud(Flava Flave) etc."

Guns Brawls and Fueds are all in martial arts to, we beat the crap out of each other more than any other "group" in exsistance. Guns? Well martial artists used to use swords. If you look back at the stories about martial heroes, Mussashi was mentioned above, he probally killed hundreds of people in duels but we have some twisted mentality that things like this are ok for us but if anybody else does it they are evil.Matter of perspective

origenx
10-03-2001, 06:30 PM
Say, I heard something about the particular orange color that Shaolin monks wear that's supposed to attract a particular auric energy or something. Is that why their uniforms are that color - was it intentional? Anyone ever heard of this? http://www.usashaolintemple.com/photos.html

Also, does anyone (Lyle?) here know if Shi Yan Ming lifts weights? Or what his workout program entails? I'm curious cuz he looks pretty ripped and buff from those pics - but pumping iron is not a traditional part of kung-fu training.

TaoBoxer
10-03-2001, 06:49 PM
I like Wu Tang.....but the fact of the matter is they do not represent what I want my students or peers to be. I do not want someone like that on TV saying "I study Ba Gua under Bill...." no matter how much it makes me. In a traditional school, they'd be doing Universal post for 5 yrs or untill they quit.

As for the monk "defecting" from China..... Good. Soccer players, baseball players and MiG pilots leave communist countries...why not a religous man? That being said.....Tell me exactly where his "shaolin" came from. There was no Shaolin temple for centures....when was this one built? Where did the monks come from? Are they affiliated with the puppet (fake) dalai lama that china recognizes? When were their forms created, and by who?

The shaolin teple is a joke...it is a total tourist trap teaching government sanctioned Wu Shu. you can even BUY a brick with your name on it that goes in a sidewalk someplace. I am sure the NYC monk is a bad-ass and a hell of a lot better than I am at what he does..... but as for being 33rd generation or whatever....I am not buying it.

diego
10-03-2001, 06:52 PM
david i dont know if you have lame sarcasm or your a ignant neckred who has seecret fetishes with chinese martial arts
but dr.dre just donated a million to the survivors of the wtc and many more did to i can give you the article if you like.

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

Kung Lek
10-03-2001, 07:02 PM
rap music is for the most part about the anger expressed by those who are disenfranchised and left out of mainstream society.

quite a lot of it is poseur crap comin from "wannabe cool" suburban idiots.

The original expressions were a good wake up call for the rest of mainstream society to see what was goin on in teh pj's and inner cities across north america.

nowadays, they are all a bunch of record company sell outs just pumping you for cash so they can ride their rides and laugh at all the kids who buy their message.

However, Lauren Hill Rocks the house and has more talent in her little finger than most of the rap poseur dudes out there. Wyclef does some cool stuff too.

peace

Kung Lek

Ford Prefect
10-03-2001, 07:05 PM
Rapers would be better off cross training in wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Chang Style Novice
10-03-2001, 07:15 PM
"nowadays, they are all a bunch of record company sell outs just pumping you for cash so they can ride their rides and laugh at all the kids who buy their message."

Not all. There are quite a few who do it for the art. Of course, they aren't blingin' on MTV and BET with a bunch of ice, platinum, champagne, and groupies.

A friend of mine in the magazine biz is going to send me a burn of Qtips new (now cancelled) album; apparently it's a lot more soul/jazz oriented than even his material with ATCQ. I can hardly wait!

origenx
10-03-2001, 07:17 PM
Aaah, only suburban soccer kids romanticize the ghetto and buy into ghetto politics. I love(d) rap, but frankly most of the lyrics and politics are hypocritical, self-contradictory lame excuses.

If many immigrants can come here, work hard, learn the language, keep strong family units and not pump out babies, stay off welfare and rise up in a generation or less, then why can't all these "disenfranchised" ghetto rats who have been here for generations?

Umm, maybe cuz they pump out too many babies with no dads around and are too busy thuggin, hustlin and pimpin for $150 sneaks, ice, dope and b*tches. Is that "profiling?" Well if it is, then it's largely cuz these rappers have done such an excellent job "profiling" themselves on every CD they sell.

That said, I am still a huge Tupac fan strictly cuz I love his music!

Dragon Warrior
10-03-2001, 07:21 PM
If you don't listen to wu tang and their associate groups, you have no right to criticize their music. Also, you cannot judge them if you have only listened to one or two songs, or even one albulm. Rza is an amazing musician. Most people don't understand his music and he doesnt have a good rep right now in the rap community. But that is only because he writes what he feels, instead of what the society wants to hear. Download the song "sunshower" by rza if you want to hear what i am talking about.

Mr. Nemo
10-03-2001, 09:19 PM
The following rappers have their music played on MTV and have talent:

wu-tang
redman
eminem, snoop, xzibit, dre (more talent as a producer than as a rapper)
dmx
wyclef jean, fugees
lauryn hill
the old jay-z (I don't much like the new jay-z)
rockwilder
others I left out

The following rappers generally don't have their music played on MTV and have talent:

royce da 5'9"
canibus
the alkaholiks
nas (a lot of his more recent stuff has been bad, though)
erik b & rakim
KRS-One
sticky fingaz (get his album, blacktrash. It's really god**mn good)

The following rappers don't have any talent that I can hear:

Almost everyone on no limit (except snoop and mystikal, who I guess isn't on no limit anymore)
Almost everyone from the cash money millionaires
Missy Elliot (really irritates me)
Puff Daddy (he's a talented businessman, I guess, but not much of a rapper or producer)
That guy that sings the "shaniqua" song. That song is horrible.

To be honest, I don't much care for jurassic 5, q-tip, tribe called quest, and the rest of the modern groups that use the old-school style. But I guess those guys have talent too, even if I don't really like their music.

Maybe that'll help clear up which rappers are good and which aren't for those of you who're confused.

[This message was edited by Mr. Nemo on 10-04-01 at 12:46 PM.]

ope
10-03-2001, 09:20 PM
lemme say this im not judging the group or there instructor.. i was just wondering about the monks skills his ability and what possesed him to take on such a task.... i dont hate rap i dont love rap i listen to it sometimes depending on my mood.. it is true that some rappers go to far to make a name for themselfs.. then again im sure people can find examples of "rockers" going to far etc.. me i just like mellow music..to much of anything isnt good for anyone..

diego
10-03-2001, 10:38 PM
To be honest, I don't much care for jurassic 5, q-tip, tribe called quest, and the rest of the modern groups that use the old-school style.

THOSE ARENT my faves but could you tell me why you dont feel modern dudes who use the old style..
this isnt a defense just curious

and SEVENSTAR IF YOU READ THIS HOW COME YOU ARE NOT FEELING GZAS BENEATH THE SURFACE.

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

Shaolindynasty
10-03-2001, 10:45 PM
Everyone has different sides to them even monks. I know sometimes I feel like meditateing and being at one with nature, other times I feel like I need to get more money and live rich, other times I feel like I want to kill someone. Every one goes through mood changes on a daily basis even Shaolin Monks(since he left the temple he is considered a layman anyways and can eat meat drink wine and have sex)

Dragon Warrior
10-03-2001, 11:33 PM
Shi yan ming is not a traditional monk. Monks are NOT supposed to eat meat, drink alcohol, have sex, etc. But that doesnt take away from his abilities. He'll kick anyone's ass on this forum

Daniel Madar
10-03-2001, 11:57 PM
Can anyone point me to the pic of Shi Yan Ming with the hunnies, flashing the cash? I'd love to see it.

As for me, NWA, all the way. If you ever get to hear Chuck D speak, take the time and listen. He is an intelligent guy, who really drives home his point.

-D

Merciless is Mercy.

Mr. Nemo
10-04-2001, 12:07 AM
"THOSE ARENT my faves but could you tell me why you dont feel modern dudes who use the old style..
this isnt a defense just curious"

Their rhythms and rhymes just seem outdated to me. The old lyrical style had a real strict meter, and was predictable. The new style uses a varied, unpredictable meter, trickier rhymes and cadences...it just interests me more.

Trying to listen to Chuck D again after you've heard Canibus is kinda like trying to listen to king oliver after you've heard louis armstrong - I just feel like I've heard it so many times before. But a lot of people whose opinions I respect really like jurassic 5 and tribe called quest. I'll just say they don't do it for me. Maybe I don't know how to listen to them.

diego
10-04-2001, 12:18 AM
i learnt dj before mc
so im not just hearing chuck but....

restart

i tend to listen to HIPHOP like im reading a comic book and each rapper is a hero in whatever context pertaining to the genre of whats read,
like i could listen to a country track if its onpoint so its very interesting how we like the same but certian things i like anoys you like 7* said in a old thread he aint feeling gza"beneath the surface" when thats won of my all time classics but everything else we agreed upon

im ranting cant form a complete sentence

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

peace

i prolly cant get open with this cuz its off topic

i like yan ming

diego
10-04-2001, 12:22 AM
but agian i was in my buddys car and he pumpd jigga and im like cool

krs came on the radio hes like that voice is anoying
im all wtf

i guess im just a more complete human intelligence then most the rest

PEACE.

PS.MAYBE YOU SHOULDNT LISTEN TO CHUCKS PUNCHES BUT TRY TO GET INSIDE HIS HEAD THEN THE PRODUCTION WILL REOPEN FOR YOU..

did for me last year i slept on pe since 91 just got into it agian

Chang Style Novice
10-04-2001, 12:26 AM
Kid these days...whyIoughtta...when I was your age we had real music, like De La Soul and Boogie Down Productions...

GET OFF MY LAWN!

(takes metamucil, goes back to watching Matlock)

diego
10-04-2001, 12:32 AM
thats the lawn track

and what is chialis problem
that was a smily faced kid

you know they say the rap generation of blacks after the 70s is the first american generation to have nastolgia

thats what happened now dudes is all cynical
dontchaknow

MaFuYee
10-04-2001, 05:05 PM
>Master Ming is a real bonified Shaolin warrior monk who has won numerous temple awards.

... excuse me, but .... BWAHHAAAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

__
__/0 _
____
/
__ //
__/o -//-- _/
____ ___ |
|| | |
|| || ||
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

MaFuYee
10-04-2001, 05:14 PM
>They rap about humility, compasion, knowledge wisdom and understanding, etc.

ayup ;)
You give me your number, I call you up
you act like ur ***** dont interrupt
I don't have no problem with you ******* me
But I have a little problem wit you not ******* me
Baby you know ima take care of you
Cause you say you got my baby, and I know it ain't true
Is it a good thing? no its bad *****
For good or worse, makes you switch
So I walk on over with my crystal
*****es, niggaz put away your pistols
Dirty wont be having it in this house
Cause ***** I'll cripple your style
Now that you heard my calm voice
You couldn't get another nigga, hoochie wont get moist
If you wana look good and not be bummy, girl you better give me that money
Aooow...

Hey, dirty, baby I got your money
Don't you worry, I said hey.
Baby I got your money...
etc...

__
__/0 _
____
/
__ //
__/o -//-- _/
____ ___ |
|| | |
|| || ||
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Tigerstyle
10-04-2001, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>when I was your age we had real music, like De La Soul and Boogie Down Productions[/quote]

LOL! Unfortunately we also had...

Vanilla Ice.

Yup yup. Word to your mother.

ope
10-04-2001, 07:00 PM
i still have the words to ice ice baby memorized..

yes i know...

Tigerstyle
10-04-2001, 09:19 PM
Don't feel bad, ope. You know some KFO members probably owned the album (I know you all remember. You kept it right next to Hammer in your collection.)

NOTE: Tigerstyle is unfortunately not excluded from the above statement.

Jaguar Wong
10-04-2001, 09:49 PM
Tigerstyle is also one of the few people I know that can lip sync with "Vanilla" with a straight face, just because he wants to annoy people.

Jaguar Wong

*edit: He actually raps along like a Kareoki (or is that KareyOkey?) singer. So lip sync was an inacurate statement.

Chang Style Novice
10-04-2001, 09:55 PM
You think Vanilla Ice is bad? What about Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst in the early 90's wishing he was Vanilla Ice (http://www.foofighters.com/av/vanilla_durst_demo.mpg)?

caution: do not view mpg while drinking beverages if you value cleanliness