PDA

View Full Version : Other styles that use sau chui?

Fu-Pow
03-10-2021, 02:14 PM
I've been spending most of my time studying chen tai chi lately, but I've been trying to find a technique that might have some connection to CLF sau chui in tai chi. Chen tai chi and CLF share some Northern Shaolin roots so it's not completely far-fetched. Any other styles that use a similar move? Or is it distinctly CLF?

YinOrYan
03-10-2021, 10:09 PM
I've been spending most of my time studying chen tai chi lately, but I've been trying to find a technique that might have some connection to CLF sau chui in tai chi. Chen tai chi and CLF share some Northern Shaolin roots so it's not completely far-fetched. Any other styles that use a similar move? Or is it distinctly CLF?

Well if you did some of the Chen whip movements with a closed fist they would be very close, but then they are very close to some Latin American dance moves too, although there's a little less likely a connection, unless you count that Chinese ship wreck in the San Francisco Bay before the Spanish ever got there...

Fu-Pow
10-26-2022, 02:58 PM
I've recently seen some videos of Baji where the teacher is using some moves similar to the sau chui. Primarily it's a forearm strike. So I think it can be found in Northern styles.