PDA

View Full Version : 9 Palms Praying Mantis in BB Mag

Budokan
11-29-2001, 10:35 PM
There was an article on this style in BB Mag this month. Supposed to be a style formulated by David Carridine (yeah, him) and some other guy--at least that's what I gleaned from the article. Seems fishy, but I'm just a dumb karate guy and was wondering what you Praying Mantis fellows really think of this style?

K. Mark Hoover

mantis108
11-29-2001, 11:14 PM
Oh? The article is out already? I have openned a thread on this awhile ago. Here's the link:

The thread (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=963196002&m=1151906092)

Well, I will have to go to get myself a copy of BB Meg. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

rogue
11-30-2001, 10:10 PM
Better article on the history of Tang Lang in the new JAMA!!!

Signed,
Rogue, Soke and Senior Grandmaster of Southeast American Brazillian Bagua Combat Chi jitsu Kempo Karate Do and Choral Society.

The only tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, “To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

EARTH DRAGON
12-01-2001, 04:41 AM
6 harmony
7 star
8 step
9 palms
whats next 10 toes ?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Tainan Mantis
12-01-2001, 08:14 AM
Budokan,
I saw that issue, but in Taiwan it is so expensive I don't want to be disappointed (again).
Could you please tell us about the article?

Rogue,
JAMA?
What does it say about history that hasn't been said before and what is the resource material?

Budokan
12-02-2001, 06:10 AM
The article's subtitle is called "David Carradine and a Kung Fu Master (Rob Moses) Launch an Exciting New Art!"

The article comes right out and says the style is a "hybrid" which relegates "actual combat to a secondary role." It then goes on to say the article will "focus on the combative elements of nine palms." I don't know why since it just said combat plays a secondary role in this art. :rolleyes: Go figure.

The types of training methods are Line Mantis, Casting Mantis, Vortex Mantis, Gyro Mantis, Upstream Mantis, Hurricane Mantis, Shadow Mantis, Empty Mantis and Implosion Mantis. The three philosophies of 9 Palms is "Extreme flexebility, extreme rhythms and extreme NOWism." That's what it's called, NOWism. Why they capitalize the NOW I don't know. Sounds a bit New Age if you ask me.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about mantis, but this sure sounds fishy, don't you think? Typical BB gloss article by the way, with no serious investigative journalism...

Take a look at this when and if you can; let me know what you think.

K. Mark Hoover

Tainan Mantis
12-02-2001, 07:13 AM
Budokan,
From what you have written I'd say this 9 palms mantis is a new species never before seen by man.

I hope BB doesn't send any hitmen to hunt you down, but after your summary there is no way I'm going to part with my cash on that.

But thanks for the info anyway.

chrisreed
12-02-2001, 06:06 PM
do not worry about the hitmen. if they are students of d. c., wouldn't they have to walk everywhere? it take them awhile to getto you.

ShaolinMantis
12-04-2001, 03:57 PM
:)
having spoke on this once I will not go there again.
Just keep in mind magazines are set up to sell magazines, articles are written to help sell magazines. Truth needs not be whole in order to speak of it. Do not believe everything you read, it may not be the whole truth...

I saw a P.M. book on Ebay for sale saying it was a very very old and rare book on P.M. written by Master Paul Eng, Spear hand I think it was. Starting bid was at 75.00 or something more absured and someone had bid that. Sifu sells these books for about $15.00 :-)

It is all about marketing...:p

TenTigers
12-04-2001, 08:25 PM
David Carradine, who after supposedly studying Praying Mantis with Kam Yuen for over 20 yrs can only do a palm strike and a sloppy crescent kick, has created a new,i mproved style of Kung-Fu? Repeat after me, boys and girls, "DRUGS ARE BAD!"