View Full Version : 4 Min video of wing tsun in action

Sharky
11-30-2001, 04:43 AM
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/ejkoch/movies/WT2.mpg

Opinions?

Turn your speakers up for this one :cool:

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

old jong
11-30-2001, 05:03 AM
Great sound effects...Great staged fights The Rock could'nt have done better!
(I really have nothing against W.T. It's just their publicity gimmicks that irritates me.)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 05:09 AM
as i said in the other forum that this link appears, i think sifu viktor gutierrez does a great demonstration and shows why he's gm kernspecht's senior instructor in spain and portugal. however, i think that clip is a demonstration of what wt's effectiveness is, but not much more than a neat demo. each time the attacker comes in, he throws one attack. in reality, i doubt anyone who has trained properly would give up at just one strike, nor would a trained fighter leave their head as exposed as the first one did when he threw all those kicks.

as i said last time, i have a great deal of respect for sifu gutierrez (he's one of my uncles in my wt family, and it took him many years to get as good as he is). so i don't mean it as an insult when i say that the clip is a demo.

anyone else? i'm curious to hear what you folks have to say, especially those in wc and vt clans.

-rtb

reemul
11-30-2001, 05:36 AM
Pretty good demo of techniques.

vingtsunstudent
11-30-2001, 06:48 AM
nice sound affects but i am yet to see anything that i would call real wing chun in it.
vts

Martial Joe
11-30-2001, 06:56 AM
I thought the kicks looked good...

Wing Chun ground fighting isnt much...

With wrestling or something else to help it, it is brutal ground n pound...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

kungfu cowboy
11-30-2001, 06:57 AM
That was freakin' hilarious!! I really liked the cheesy slowed down audio. And that kooky music! Overall, the domination theme was weirding me out a little.

Richie
11-30-2001, 07:10 AM
I really didn't see anything clean.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 09:52 AM
i didn't even bother with the sound effects. i head them for maybe two seconds, said "eek!" and turned off the speakers. :p

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 10:03 AM
has anyone actually ever seen a well-produced martial arts video? the only ones i've seen were by emin boztepe and william cheung. boztepe's videos were as would be expected - the guy has great skill, but i would have hoped that, with better hollywood connections, he'd have been able to produce something a little more potable. and cheung's video's? i've seen high schools produce material with more talent.

it seems that while both these men are greatly talented in their art (don't ask them for a mutual opinion on that one, though :D), they don't have that knack for choosing good video folk.

anyhoo, anything good in the video department?

-rtb

truewrestler
11-30-2001, 10:40 AM
when you say "well-produced martial arts video" do you mean instruction?

My three favorite videos of all time: http://www.sherdog.com/videos.shtm, in no particular order...the highlight videos for Frank Shamrock, Kazushi Sakuraba, and Royce Gracie.

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 11:47 AM
i just mean a video that has instructional benefits but is actually well done without crappy voiceovers, static-laden picture, bad segues, nasty dialogue, confusing demonstrations and simply doesn't look like it was put together by a college student on a budget of $150 and a case of bud light.

-rtb

rubthebuddha
11-30-2001, 11:48 AM
i'm not asking or a spielberg production, either. just a good, simple, well-made video.

-rtb

Sharky
11-30-2001, 11:50 AM
bud light tastes like p!ss

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

dedalus
11-30-2001, 02:02 PM
The guy certainly has the killer instinct. I wouldn't want to roll with him in a fight or as a student... the latter must suffer from those knee kicks :(

I wonder what he's like the rest of the time?

I did notice, though, that his students always initiated the attack (to their disadvantage) and usually retreated when he cam after them. The guy who followed up and went for his knees did better.

Ryu
11-30-2001, 09:52 PM
Well sparring wise, the opponent didn't do much back... Granted he was being overwhelmed a bit which is good, but it's obvious they were all pulled punches, etc. Nothing wrong with that in a demo though.

In my opinion he didn't look bad (though I am no expert at all in WT) Some of the ground and pound looked okay....but here is what I noticed.

(this is just what I do differently training ground and pound...not that it's better, etc..)

First, the control factor on the ground has to be the first priority. If you simply fall to the ground and start punching without making sure you have good control, the guy will get away. (No one wants to be punched on the ground)
When I train ground and pound, whether it be with a partner, sparring, or just using a grappling dummy, I always make sure to get position. I mount and pull the guy's head off the ground towards me, hook his legs, headbutt and elbow numerous times. Downward elbows, etc. His elbowing didn't look bad. Looked pretty good to me, though the chain punching I don't do. When I punch from mount I try to put a lot of power in my punches and throw them the way I'd throw boxing crosses, etc. I don't know about how damaging the chain punches would be in that position (since you're not running forward) but I'm sure some people can have power there if they train it. I just do it differently. :)

While grappling on the ground, it's important to work on control while striking as well. So when you drill or spar ground and pound, punch and elbow, etc. But make sure the guy tries to escape, so you can work your control. There's a time to punch, and also a time to get better position so you won't lose the opponent. Keep him under you.

Like Martial Joe said, a good wrestling background will do wonders for your ground and pound.
In a few years I'm gonna be afraid of him! :D

Ryu

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/powell/123/Imagenes/kenshin.jpg

Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fujikage Fistibuns....
the lost son of the Fistibuns clan...

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

NorthernMantis
12-01-2001, 01:02 AM
I thought wing chun was only linear?

I was impressed though.Never seen wing chun used other than chi sau drills

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-01-2001, 01:08 AM
i have seen the long haired dude in some other videos a while back. good stuff.

why are you drinking bud lite sharkey? was it free or something?

where's my beer?

straight blast
12-01-2001, 01:11 AM
I liked the Thai style knees with a neck grapple. But I sure as hell wouldn't call it Wing Chun (Tsun, tchun, whatever). Some of the demo was definitely WT, but some of it was definitely Muay Thai. Have a look at the guard he goes into prior to shoulder grabbing & kneeing on fella before neck throwing him to the ground. That is the classic MT guard. Good to watch, but somebody's been doing a little bit of cross training. Which is ok, so long as he doesn't claim it's WT.
Unless WT=Wing Thai? :D

"Forfeit the game
Before somebody else takes you out of the frame
And puts your name to shame
Cover up your face
You can't run the race
The pace is too fast,
You just won't last!"

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-01-2001, 01:13 AM
i agree with the points made about the mount punches though. i understand it was a demo, but even when pretending i would pretend to be getting a little more weight behind those punches. it wasn't just once, but every time they got someone down they punched like that. better than humping his face, but i just don't see the "STAY DOWN B!TCH" power behind them.

all around great demo though. i liked the music too.

where's my beer?

Stacey
12-01-2001, 05:31 AM
He's cute, but I like a little variety in technique. The whole flury, head grab, ground and pound got a little old. Doesn't he know any other throws? He's got loose shoulder, I try to, but it suprised me to see the ease that his sun punch became a rolling elbow.

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

Ryu
12-01-2001, 06:48 AM
Hey cute pic! ;)

You have very large eyes. :D

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

NorthernMantis
12-01-2001, 07:03 AM
Were did you come from?I don't remeber seeing you anywhere or are you wu shu chik?

..just checked your posts your that santa/baboon guy.

"Always be ready"

"right, that's it!you've insulted me, and you've insulted the shaolin temple!"-Fish of Furry

Ryu
12-01-2001, 07:19 AM
Hey wait a minute. You're that "SantaClaus" guy!

I withdraw my compliment.
*hmph*

:D

Ryu

Stacey
12-01-2001, 07:28 AM
awe shucks fellas, can't I turn over a new leaf?

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

jimmy23
12-01-2001, 08:35 AM
That was a really corny little clip, sorry

"A group of guys walks towards, and pass by you. It seems that nothing happens. Later, of by "surprse" a person with a big hammer slam on your skull. True story. That person still have a big hole on his head.
What can you do??????"

Ryu
12-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Well in its defense, I've seen some MMA clips with music like that as well :D

It wasn't sparring in my opinion, since the guys weren't really fighting back, but I thought it was decent for what it was.

The sound effects and music were a bit on the corny side :D I agree.

Ryu

Sharky
12-01-2001, 08:21 PM
i was referring to an earlier er, reference to bud lite.

man, i just had a WILD weekend :eek: :eek: :eek:

rubthebuddha
12-02-2001, 12:59 AM
sharky: plus, there's $150 buck in it for the college guys. you could almost buy the budweiser company for that kinda scratch!

like i said earlier, the video is a good demo, but the attacker almost never followed up. anyone know of a martial art that teaches you to throw one attack and then prepare to be clobbered?

but again, i'm glad sifu gutierrez is my uncle. i'd rather not eat one of those knees or elbows.

-rtb

Rolling Elbow
12-02-2001, 06:24 AM
Looks like classic balls to the walls oriented fighting..the kicks delivered are not much of anything but hell, its nice to see them go at it with some real intent.

Agreed on the ground defense, kind of a waste of energy to pound a guys head with 15 chain punches when you can knee his kidney to open his hands and expose his head..kind of overdone too lol..there is NO WAY that you will avoid assault charges if you ground and pound someone like that :)

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Nichiren
12-02-2001, 10:34 AM
When looking at the really good WT fighters from Europe e.g. Victor, Emin, Wagner etc. it isn't uncommon to see such displays. Maybe it is cross-training as someone mentioned but remember that there are lots and lots of WT schools in Europe and you would be crazy not thinking that some of them would produce good fighters. I think there are over 1000 WT schools in Germany alone? Have you ever seen germans train? They take it seriously!

In the more advanced technical grades in WT there are lots of elbows and knees when fighting. I remember when LT and the top WT practitioner went to China a couple of years ago during a birthday? and displayed WT for the Chinese. They almost didn't recognize that it was WT.

Am I advanced in WT. Noope... 5 SG when I left WT in -98 but the guy I trained for was 3 TG and he didn't care less for politics. He left the org. and I followed. Is WT good? Yes! I think that anyone that choose to train WT/WC/VT should keep the bull**** antenna up because of all the propaganda from every direction, from within and from outside! Thats just my point of view...

ATENG
12-03-2001, 11:14 AM
i absolutely agree nichiren

i made it to 5sg in WT also but after i graduated from college a year ago i wasn't able to continue in my WT training. i completely understand what you said about keeping the bull**** antenna up, and i won't even go into the politics within the WT organization.

"It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

rubthebuddha
12-04-2001, 12:34 PM
agreed. currently working on my 8 SG right now and teaching newer students. my instructor is one of the most senior in n.a., and he always tells us that if we have time to pay attention to all the political bullsh!t, then we're not training hard enough.

sounds like a good idea to me. now where's my footwork? i think it needs some practice. :D