PDA

View Full Version : QeySuS (or anyone else, I guess), explain this!?!? Also, MTV2 fans, help!

IronFist
11-30-2001, 11:02 AM
****** I keep bugging you about your language, don't I?

Ok, so I just came back from taking a leak and when I walked in my dorm room MTV 2 was playing (American MTV 2) and I was like "hey this song sounds familiar!" Then after a few more seconds I was like "whoa! That's a Sigur Ros song!" It took me a few seconds to realize what song it was because my mind isn't exactly used to hearing Icelandic songs on TV. The song was "viðar vel tl loftárasa" (which MTV shortened to 'vidrar vel'). But that's not what this topic is about.

All I saw was the last two minutes (the song is like 10 minutes), and some little boys soccer game was going on. Some kid (boy) scored a goal and then he like started making out with this other boy who was laying on the ground on his team. Um, EWWWWW!!! Why the Æ’uck would anyone make a video like that? What else do you guys consider "entertainment" in Iceland? ;) :confused: ;)

Yuck.

I used to think the song was awesome, but is it about young boys making out? Ewww!

Question to everyone: Does MTV play Siguros videos often? Americans on average tend to not like foreign music, so is this a common occurance? I mean, I'm usually working on projects when I'm in my room so I don't watch TV that much, but I was shocked as Æ’uck to see a Sigurros video going on.

Now they're playing "Stinkfist" (sorry, I mean "Track #1", haha) by Tool. Tool rules.

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

"Don't you get cose to me with that knofe or I'll have to dofond mosolf!" - KC Elbows

DelicateSound
11-30-2001, 03:13 PM
Of the subject, thank you IronFist, for picking up on my hideous typo, and using KC's witty reply as your signature.

Forever will I be a social outcast.... (sniff) :(

"Tomorrow's life is too late. Live today."
Marcus Valerius Martialis

premier
11-30-2001, 07:00 PM
Well. Usually we scandinavians just enjoy ****ing you americans off. ;)

KC Elbows
11-30-2001, 07:51 PM
Don't feel too bad, frost. Some of the guys got me pretty bad on the original "Stupid" thread. They came up with some fancy name for water(Hydrogen Hydroxide, or some such thing), and started talking about how dangerous this chemical was, and how its in all the pop we drink. True to form, I was like, "My god, how do they get away with using this stuff!" They got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, outcasts can fit in pretty well here. We do all practice the art of gruesomely mauling people who attack us in ways we're probably never going to be attacked.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot to mention. Its always good to humor the scandinavians on this forum, you know, as sort of a nice thing, since they don't have that much going for them. :p

Why don't women like scandinavians?

Because when the lovemaking starts, they're already Finnish. :D

[This message was edited by KC Elbows on 12-01-01 at 10:11 AM.]

DelicateSound
11-30-2001, 08:11 PM
We are all prepared to maim, mutilate and destroy..... but sometimes I think I'd trade it all for a cup of tea and a plate of cat-meat. :D

"Tomorrow's life is too late. Live today."
Marcus Valerius Martialis

Stacey
11-30-2001, 08:19 PM
scandinavians find pictures of children french kissing to be cute. Hey maybe it is, I just don't want it in my house.

HO HO HO
http://thumb-2.image.altavista.com/image/100933751

qeySuS
11-30-2001, 08:37 PM
well ****it it's a cool video, since yuo didnt see the beginning the dad bans the kid to play with dolls and some weird stuff, it's basicly about the dad being ****phobic and yelling at his kid for being gay. I thought it was refereshing not having to look at another limp bizkit style video, i was so ****ed off at the Chop Suey video i thought it was too limp bizkit style, did you see Spiders and Sugar videos? They were suerealistic really liked them.

NOW! having said that those werent 2 boys one of them was actually a girl :) They asked for "a boyish girl". So dont worry they werent taunting two 13 year olds into kissing using $$$

Free thinkers are dangerous!

IronFist
12-01-2001, 12:29 AM
QeySuS, name some other cool Iceland bands for me to download. In GDA's post you named a metal band, but that post got removed so I don't have the name anymore.

Maybe they'll play the video again so I can see the whole thing.

Haha about the Limp Biskit style video again, good point.

Have you seen the video "Hell Bent" by a band called "Kenna"? That's one of the best videos I've ever seen.

Iron

"Don't you get cose to me with that knofe or I'll have to dofond mosolf!" - KC Elbows

qeySuS
12-01-2001, 02:07 AM
hmm the metal band i named was propably Dimmu Borgir, which i first thought was icelandic because it's a Landmark in Iceland (dimmu borgir) but it's actually norweigan (which i knew at the time) and they are really good (and kinda famous). They've toured USA and they'r pretty popular.

I havent really listend to a lot of Icelandic hardcore stuff, but most of what i've heard is just "normal", when i listen to hard stuff for me it has to hvae something unique, with System of a down it's Serj and the funky beats they use, noone has that voice and very few bands use that rythm. Dimmu borgir have some kinda mideaval orgel beats at times i really like that, dunno if other bands have that but i just like it with them :) Dont listen to a LOT of bands but those are the ones i kinda like.

Archangel
12-01-2001, 07:40 PM
I always thought that it was Norway, Sweden and Denmark. Does it include Iceland and Finland as well?

qeySuS
12-01-2001, 08:16 PM
well if you wanna be picky abuot it then denmark doesnt belong to it either, it's just norway and sweden (geographicly i beleave). Denmark is connected to Germany not to the scandinavian thingie.

However Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland are most often referred to as "Scandinavia", over here in Iceland we call it "Norðurlönd" or the Northern Lands(countries). It's mostly because these 5 countries have a lot of cooperation going on, noone in "scandinavia" needs a work permit to work at the other place, i can go to denmark now and i'm a fully fledged dane (well i cant vote, but it's kinda like having a green card to all the nations). There's just a whole lotta cooperation going on so it's often referred to as a whole, and even though Scandinavia is just taht piece of land it's most often used to describe those 5 countries.

Daniel Madar
12-01-2001, 08:27 PM
I always thought Scandinavian was an ethnic term tied in to vikings somehow. :( That's why finland wasn't considered a scandinavian country, just nordic, and Denmark and Iceland were honorary Scandinavians.

And being the Linguistics freak that I am, I just looked it up. Looks like the term is kind of loosely used in English.

Main Entry: Scan·di·na·via
Pronunciation: "skan-d&-'nA-vE-&, -vy&
Usage: geographical name
1 peninsula N Europe occupied by Norway & Sweden
2 Denmark, Norway, Sweden, & sometimes also Iceland, the Faeroe Islands, & Finland

Merciless is Mercy.

qeySuS
12-01-2001, 08:32 PM
yup, well the scandinavian countries are the ones that were mostly vikings. They had the Norse gods and such. Iceland was manned because the king of Norway was a b!tch so people moved out to form their own country, they found iceland and settled in (and found ameriaca hehe). That's what's kinda cool aboutt he Icelandic language (since you said you werea linguistic freak). Icelandic is basicly the same language that was spoken in Scandinavia and UK and such around 800-1000. However other languages influenced the countries and so Norweigen, swedish and danish are pretty alike, english was formed, and finland got a lot of taht russian stuff into their language. Iceland however, beinga small island in the middle of nowhere and noone wanted to visit, got no influence and pretty much stayed the same :)

So modern day Icelanders can read Icelandic Sagas from 1000 and such, there are some words that we no longer use, and the writing style is a LOT more formal then we use in everyday talk, but if you try hard enough you can make it through with you normal icelandic skills :)

Kristoffer
12-01-2001, 10:11 PM
well, swedish and norwigean sound the most alike. I can understand norwegian quite well because it sounds like swedish in certain ways. Alot of swedes can understand danish, but it is NOT like swedish! Most swedes Can't understand it at all (I only get some of it), but the people in Denmark understands swedish alot more than we understand their language. Finish however is completly yadda-yadda to Swedes, unless u read it or have roots from there. Finish has influence of russian and other languages wich sounds completely different from ours. (swedish)

In Finland however, swedish is (atleast it was, but i think it still is) a school subject or something like that, so ALOT of finnish people speak swedish aswell. and there are alot of "fins" : ) in sweden.. etc etc..
Icelandic (?).. hmm, well to be true, it sounds horrible! ;) I think Icelandic (?) sounds like really really OLD Swedish but im no expert at all.

People who live on the border of Sweden/Russia/Finland usually have like a mix of these languages,, because they live so close to eacother.. (I have been told this)

***There are also natives in Sweden calledSamer .. They have a language of theire own. I've only heard it sometime, and I cant describe it. These people live in the north part of sweden where there are hardly any people or cities. There are big areas only covered with woods, badlands and such and it snows as hell and its cold like hell. I would not want to live there.

SCANDINAVIA RULES!! (except for Denmark, u guys suc :p ;) ) hehe just kiddin

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

Kristoffer
12-01-2001, 10:14 PM
I oppologies to anyone if I have written something wrong, I am no expert at all, Im only a little city boy.. :D

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

IronFist
12-01-2001, 11:03 PM
While we're talking about Finland, Finnish is one of a few languages that cannot trace its roots to anywhere, and shares hardly any words with other languages. In fact, a few years ago I wrote a paper on the linguistic implications of Sanskrit, and one of the points I made was that Sanskrit has commonalities with over 20 major languages today (and therefore, obviously their derivatives), but that certain languages like Finnish (I think Basque, and a few others... it's been a few years and I don't remember) aren't related to anything, and no one really knows where they came from.

****. For all you language buffs here I wish I had my compaison chart here I chould show you. It showed 6 words in 26 different languages and how they are all basically the same, except for those few weird langauges. ie. "Night" in English is like "Nacht" in German, "Nakt" in Sanskrit, "Noche" in Spanish, etc, but something completely unrelated in Finnish. "Mother" was another word that was essentially the same in all languages (understandibly so).

Gotta run,

Iron

qeySuS
12-02-2001, 12:30 AM
denmark rules! I used to live there, i dunno abuot talking to swedes or norweigen people (i managed to talk to a few norweigens a few years ago), but i can mostly manage talking to both. Even though i moved back form denmark when i was 7 and only stayed 5 years.

Archangel
12-02-2001, 02:24 AM
In the past the Vikings were some of the most militant, warlike and viscious people the world has ever scene. Now in modern times, the Scandanavian countries are among the best places in the world to live and the people are probably some of the nicest I've ever met. What happened to make you guys mellow out so much.

Beth S.
12-02-2001, 02:42 AM
I once learned that Finnish and Hungarian are related, but that they are the only 2 languages in their family. Weird!

I studied for one semester in Copenhagen and still wish I could go back there. I did a lot of travel in Denmark and thought it was a truly great place. Ahhh, smorbrod and gammel dansk! (One of my fellow students made the observation that Danish sounds like Japanese people speaking French. After I'd studied it for a semester, I didn't think so, but at first that was really true!)

Reima Kostaja
12-02-2001, 11:51 AM
This happened in the roskilde festival denmark some years ago. The Finnish live music association had set up an unofficial beer tent in the camping grounds. It became too crowded so they implied a rule that one had say a complete sentence in finnish or something to get service. So this non finnish speaking guy comes in and when asked to say something in finnish he says: Pysäyttäkää auto, minä oksennan!". (In english: "Stop the car, I'm throwing up!")

I wonder if they have that phrase in finnish dictionary for tourists.

IronFist
12-02-2001, 10:37 PM
Reima, the important thing is: did they let him have any beer?

Hehe :)

Good story,

Iron

IronFist
12-03-2001, 04:26 AM
That's so going in my sig.

Iron

IronFist PostLog:
1100 - 11/20/01
1200 - 12/01/01

Stacey
12-03-2001, 04:34 AM
Finish is actually closer to Turkish. It comes from the same linguistic root.

Iceland was isolated and therefor imbred. The genes are very pure after 60 generations of cousin humping.

The Samer (or Sami in English) are a nomadic people that heard Caribu (SP?) Some of them are quite wealthy too. They live in teeppee like structures. Very similar culturally to the Siberian natives.

Finland is expecially known for its ancient bear cult. They have over 10 euphamisms for bear such as "Old man of the forest" and "Master of the Forest" and "Honeyeater" Because they believe, (as do the Ainu, Cree, Crow and countless native american tribes) that the bear is telepathic and will know if you refer to him directly. Read up.

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

qeySuS
12-03-2001, 04:36 AM
actually we kept the blood new by taking slaves from scotland and such, that's why many icelanders have red hair.

:P