PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on training methods

gfhegel21
11-05-2001, 05:52 PM
Technically, it's not about training methods, but it gives some insight into the mindset of one school:

http://www.maxfighting.com/probst/probst_11-06-01.asp

I'm not so sure about this method, but I expect it does create some good fighters. Seems to hold some parallels to what some would call a "traditional" school.

Wongsifu
11-05-2001, 06:19 PM
that was a cool article , if even 1/100TH of kung fu practitioners practised that dedicated , there would be a hell of a lot more kung fu guy sin pro nhb circuits

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Sharky
11-05-2001, 09:55 PM
great article

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Robinf
11-05-2001, 09:57 PM
That is a fantastic article. Thanks for posting it. I never knew what went into training a champion in MMA. It's helpful to have a glimpse into that world. Makes me hungry to get to the kwoon.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Johnny Hot Shot
11-05-2001, 10:03 PM
Where do they make girls like you?

"Makes me hungry to get to the kwoon."
Robin

:D RAD :D

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Sharky
11-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Indeed, i would like to purchase one of them

Robinf
11-05-2001, 10:44 PM
:o Thanks, guys. :D

I have a training partner, female, who's like me, too--hungry to train. We're about it, though, for the dedicated women; there are an equal number of men and women in TKD, but many are just there. And, in kung fu, we're back to only one other woman. She's just a beginner, though, but she doesn't give up on herself--though we haven't sparred yet with her.

I've often wondered why people like to watch the two of us spar (my training partner and I), now I think I'm beginning to understand why. You can see beyond the technique, training, and things and see the heart and soul. When what you do is a part of who you are, it shows.

Robin

Sharky
11-05-2001, 10:48 PM
I think there may be other reasons why people like watching you spar :o :eek:

Johnny Hot Shot
11-05-2001, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking the same thing Sharky. unfortunately in my nick of the bush Women Martial artists are few and far between. There are a few but still it's great to see some one with your enthusiasm and intensity Robin. Ous

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Sharky
11-06-2001, 12:21 AM
DUDE sort ur pick out in ur profile mate

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 02:04 AM
Our testing is done in a similar fashion. A typical test will last about 3 hours, and you have nothing left when it's over.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Robinf
11-06-2001, 04:38 PM
Sharky said: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think there may be other reasons why people like watching you spar [/quote]

Well, the two of us are around the same height (5'4", 5'5"--I'm shorter), in good shape and have long hair. That might be another reason :D

I don't know of any school that have that kind of intensity to it for any amount of training or testing. Our testing is rigorous, particularly for kung fu, but it's not to that extreme. In a way, I'm glad it isn't, but in another way, I'm sad it isn't.

Robin

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 06:46 PM
For my last test, I had to do 2min continuous sparring with everyone in the class - twice(about 20 or so that day, so 40 matches total) with no breaks bewtween, then after a small break I had to grapple with everyone. There was no time limit, someone had to win. All that was done after numerous calisthenics. The last thing I had to do was 2 min continuous sparring with sifu. I didn't have to do forms on that test, so I know I will have to do them repeatedly on the next one, in addition, to whatever else he throws my way

" - nightair

Merryprankster
11-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Wrong wrong and WRONG.

This is EXACTLY the kind of crap I got into BJJ and MMA to get away from. You are my coach. You are my mentor. You might even be my friend. Under NO circumstances are you my "daddy and mommy, etc."

Live eat and breathe fighting to be successful? YES.

Live breathe and eat your trainer? FORGET IT.

Sharky
11-06-2001, 06:58 PM
seven, was it just you personally who had to do that? were you the only one grading or are you just a badass?

Sharky
11-06-2001, 07:00 PM
no one is there to praise the trainer, they are there to train.

did you read the article?

Merryprankster
11-06-2001, 07:04 PM
I did read the article. I think that for somebody training to be a full time fighter, that is most likely a very good entry process. What I don't like is Shamrock's statements about being somebody's mommy or daddy.

I thought all belt tests were like sevenstars...

scotty1
11-06-2001, 07:06 PM
Christ!!

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 07:20 PM
That day, I was the only one testing. tests like that are typical for us though - sifu will vary them from test to test so that nobody knows exactly what the next one will be like, but they tax you mentally and physically. To my knowledge, I'm the only one that has had to fight back to back like that though. It's not uncommon for people to puke during their test - they have to get off the floor and to the bucket before it comes up though, or their test will get much worse, in addition to having to clean the mess up.

Prankster - are you referring to CMA, or belt tests in general? I've never seen tests like that in karate/tkd, etc. I'm not sure about other CMA schools though

" - nightair

Merryprankster
11-06-2001, 07:23 PM
Eh, my experience with belt testing is limited. I suppose I was being naive to think that most tests were like that.

Our belt tests are similar to yours:

2 min with everybody who's there if you are going for your blue.

3 min with everybody if going for purple.

I assume brown and black are only worse :)

If you aren't tired enough, Lloyd throws more rounds at you.

MonkeySlap Too
11-06-2001, 08:19 PM
Makes me wish I was a teenager again so I could be a part of all this brave new world we're in. ****.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

IronFist
11-06-2001, 09:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SevenStar:
It's not uncommon for people to puke during their test [/quote]

What's the purpose of this? It's like doing squats until you puke, it's hardcore, but not as effective as other methods?

Iron

Merryprankster
11-06-2001, 09:57 PM
The purpose is to see if you can execute when you are tired. After you can no longer execute, the purpose is to see if you simply have the heart to continue defending as best you can.

That little bit might be the difference between a win and a loss, whether the street or ring.

Puking is what happens when you are out of shape. It's not like just doing calisthenics till you vomit, that's just mean.

MonkeySlap, what do you mean younger? We have a 48 year old that went through a line of 13 people to get his blue belt!

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 10:18 PM
Right on MP.

" - nightair

Shaolin36
11-06-2001, 10:32 PM
Excellent article. It really opens your eyes to "how deep" you have to dig during a fight or training. I know I will think of this article when Im doing sets of 40 gwa-sows.

Shaolin36

zen_celt
11-07-2001, 07:31 AM
Does anybody happen to know the Lion Den's MMA competition record? Perhaps as it compares to other fight stables?
-ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

KnightSabre
11-07-2001, 01:08 PM
Grading for my yellow t-shirt(2 and a half years into kung fu) was probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do.It was a 3 and a half hour physical which included pushups sets of 75,situps,crunches,legraises etc sets of 100,carrying each other arround the class 10 times with your arms,bunny hops arround the block,chain pushups,block pushups,sprints and a whole lot more.My body gave in 3 quarters of the way through and I had to finnish with sheer will power.I had to get picked up afterwards as I couldn't drive myself home.
I also couldn't go to work the next day.

Then 2 days later we had our anitiation with the seniors,they basically beat the tarr out of us for an hour,we were bleeding,bruised and battered,out shirts were torn off and we had kick and punch marks all over our bodies.

I was extremely proud when I passed it.

Today it's still one of my most cherrished accomplishments.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".