PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar-To-Wing Chun...(not style vs. style thing)

Apprentice
11-30-2001, 09:05 PM
i heard Hung Gar has all the wing chun techniques, or most of em...but to they base their attack upon the "Centerline" like wing chunners? if not, what is their basis or mindset on attack?

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

SanHeChuan
11-30-2001, 09:39 PM
i dont know but i'll let u know in about six months i hope to start both arts after chrimas.

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

TenTigers
12-01-2001, 03:21 AM
Hung-Ga attacks not only centerline. but angles, flanks (blindside)as well. Very often we attack up the middle and then thread to the outside gate for the finish. Hung-Ga fights very close-not just toe to toe, but hip to hip. Many of what appear to be long range attacks are actually done in tight utilizing the entire arm as the strikeing surface. Hung-Ga uses inch power as well. Inch punch, inch palm, inch wrist, inch forearm, inch shoulder, inch etc. Both arts were developed from the same source. Two brothers, same mom.

old jong
12-01-2001, 04:16 AM
Yeah, but at the same time many "experts" like to say that Hung Gar is the kung fu style that looks the more like Okinawan Karate!...Maybe from the outside or it is that Karate people should look more deep into the "advanced "applications of theit art. ;)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Rolling_Hand
12-01-2001, 04:30 AM
Hung Ga is just a style but Wing Chun is a complete combat system.

In other words...

Hung Ga = 1 + 2 = 3

Wing Chun = A + B = C

Leonidas
12-01-2001, 05:24 AM
What's the dif'

123=abc

jon
12-01-2001, 05:33 AM
He just go's around trying to state how much better Wing Chun is than any other art.
Watch when he runs out of things to say he starts using silly comments from things like "Tao of Jeet Kune Do". Hung Ga IS a compleate system. So is Wing Chun though its often taught badly [as is Hung]. As I say just ignore Trolling-Hand.
I study Hung Ga we do use cl theory but its only a part of how we strike and is not as stressed as it is in WC. Hung Ga tends to use angle as stated earlier, its also useable at any range and is more a set of skills as opposed to a set method of attack and defence. Meaning a good student will be superb but a poor one will be very poor. It requires a lot of bravery in application as you often have to move into an opponent as they attack.
Yes Hung does have a lot of the WC hand techniques but wc has more focus on how there used.
In Hung any strike is a block and any block a strike. :)

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Apprentice
12-01-2001, 05:51 AM
but just curious, what does it mean, "Every strike is a block, and every block is a strike"...and how do they go about getting to the angles/flanks(blindsides)??? I always wondered how 1 would advance on someone seeing how walking takes your balance away greatly...(For those that dont know, i do not study an art, but i will soon)

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

jon
12-01-2001, 06:08 AM
Im not to advanced ive only been studying for 4-5 years. So im not an expert on Hung Ga so dont take my opinions on it to seriously. What i say is how ive been taught.
That said...
"I always wondered how 1 would advance on someone seeing how walking takes your balance away greatly"
Hung Ga is a very solid style build around strong stances and low grounding footwork.
This can mean two things.
1 you can use it as is, and 'hug' the ground with your feet meaning your very stable but not to moblie.
2 use this training to build greater leg stregth so your higher stances are better grounded and your kicks stronger.
Thats how we use balance and grounding its big in my style.
"Every strike is a block, and every block is a strike"...
This means as i was saying Hung Ga is a collection of techniques and skills but how you apply them is mainly up to the student. Forms are there to give you an example of how another past master liked to do it. The forms also condition the reflex.
Take for example an uppercut... Its a punch-strike.
I also use these while sparring against strait punchs hitting under the forearm.
Making that same punch-strike a type of block.
Ill let Ten Tigers reply about his comments from his own experience.
Still best thing is to just try the art, but be aware the training is long and hard. The rewards are very well worth the effort.
Journey of a million miles starts with a single step, so to speak. :)
Best of luck in your training.

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Je Lei Sifu
12-01-2001, 09:16 AM
This meaning expresses the iron like forearms of Hung Ga practitioners. You should constantly condition your forearms so that when the opponent striking limb is blocked by your forearms, it will cause pain to that limb.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Black Belt Jones 1
12-01-2001, 06:23 PM
"Hung Ga is just a style but Wing Chun is a complete combat system. "

Now I'm no student of Hung Gar but I shop from Wing Lam's store from time to time. It looks as if his system of Hung Gar is a complete set of mostly totally unrelated styles. I would say that it is far beyond the definition of a mere style. Of course I have seen a few schools that were totally based on Tiger/Crane which would probably fit your definition.

Rolling_Hand
12-02-2001, 06:21 AM
Hung Ga, Tiger/Crane, Choi Lee Fut, Bak Mei and others, Names may change, but the underlying theme remains the same 1 + 2 = 3

Maybe you're to blame and maybe you're not. However, Wing Lam's store is a bit too eager to pin things on you. Try to find another culprit, you'll have the upper hand next time.

Wongsifu
12-02-2001, 02:43 PM
basically put it this way , hung gar and wing chun used to be alike before yip man *******ised it by teacheing his students whatever he wanted.
In this sense if you look at alternative lineages of wing chun you will see they have some of the extra forms of hung gar in them, like for example moi fah kuen .

Otherwise nowadays, wing chun and hung gar are quite far apart.

the main difference is that hung gar is very karate-esque depending on what level the practitioner is .

however i hate to say it but nowadays your emuch better off finding a good hung gar lineage than a WC one because WC lineages suck nowadays.

This is because THC is not an alkaloid. It does not contain a nitrogen atom, therefore it is a terpenophenolic compound

Nichiren
12-02-2001, 03:03 PM
Ayeahh... Wongsifu, not again! There are of course bad schools/teachers but come on. Most lineages are good. It is just that they emphasis different aspects of WC/WT/VT. :rolleyes:

Rolling_Hand
12-02-2001, 07:38 PM
--however i hate to say it but nowadays you emuch better off finding a good hung gar lineage than a wc one because wc lineages suck nowadays.

Your judgment is off right now, so take it easy with the self criticism. There might be one bad apple like Emin Bozo in the WC family, but that doesn't represent the real WC clan as a whole.

People are so contrary, you could get into an argument over 1 + 2 = 3 or that coward turkey XX. But you also recognize the merits of constancy of WC system. There's a way to breathe new life into what feels formulaic. WC is Y + Z =