PDA

View Full Version : Do you do wierd MA things in public?

SanHeChuan
11-30-2001, 10:08 PM
i have found my self doing all kindas of wierd things in public, when i walk the street i make odd movements with my hands at my side, blocking a puching in my head.

wondering a store if i think no one is looking i'll start cross stepping, and turning, punch and blocking with larger movements,but not too large as to attract attention.

and whenever i get into a elevator alone i'll throw a full punch.

Almost everymove i make has some hit of MA in it from openning a door, walking between cars, just plain o' walking down the street.

I think people notice but they dont say anything.

==============================

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body"

DelicateSound
11-30-2001, 10:44 PM
I know a very good "head-doctor" if you want his number...... :)

I know what you mean. I read an article over at www.wingchunkuen.com (http://www.wingchunkuen.com) that was all about awareness, and for about 3 weeks I practised the awareness drills whilst walking around town. After a while they became second-nature and I feel its helped my awareness.

As for sparring with thin air in the menswear dept. of Topman...... No.

"Tomorrow's life is too late. Live today."
Marcus Valerius Martialis

Apprentice
12-01-2001, 12:29 AM
yes actually...every time i open a door, i open it very fast and stop it right where it needs to be, and when i close 1, i swing it real fast, and stop right before it touches it turn the handle, close it as quiet as possible, release the handle as quiet as possible...thats cuz i wanna be a ninja, im always practicing stealth movements...whenever i walk in my kitchen, i walk as silently as possible, yet still faster than i normally would walk...when i am cooking, and i wait, i sit in the horse stance...when im walking down the street, im constantly scanning my surroundings, and not stepping on leaves or anything that will make noise, without looking stupid, well, too stupid, hehe...when i was going up stairs in school(which i no longer attend) i'd stop between each flight and practice some kicks/punches, and the walls were made out of concrete, solid, and i would open my hand like one of those vending machines where you get the stuffed animals(or candy) and hold that motion, and take jabs at the wall...everywhere i walk, i walk silently now that i think about it, running up stairs too...if i am behind someone, and nobody can see me, i'll practice a punch or two at their head, aiming for a specific point, such as their neck, or maybe a bald spot(jes for target practice), and they wont know i did it, sometimes they'll feel the wind, and turn around, but by then i look natural...im thought of to be the "more mature" teen, but when im sitting with kids that tend to throw things, i'll throw soemthing at someone and act how i was acting when the immature kids were throwing things and i wasn't paying attention, im never even suspected to be the 1 that threw something(i dont do it that frequent though)...and if a chick is playfully hitting me in the chest or something, i'll put them in a joint lock of some sort and pin them against the wall or just hold em there, and ask em if their tough, this usually provokes em to try to beat me up more, then i redirect their punch and slap em in the face(quick but just taps, not hard), i've only had 1 bad experience with that, i was trying to get a note of this girls hands i wrote to her which was really really really ignorrant and i didn't wanna give it to her(she took it out of my pants :) )...and i put her in a wrist lock but she wouldnt' give it up, and kept fighting so i had to keep twisting it, people were watchign too, she was in mad pain, but she didn't wanna drop it(she wanted it bad), and the people around were my friends so they just thoguht it to be funny, then when she finally gave it up, she was ****ed at me, keep in mind i didn't even know this girl that well, lol...then i guess she told her ex-boyfriend that i did it, and he came up to me to confront me with his friend who was 2 feet taller than me(well 1 and a half)...we didn't end up fighting(lucky for them :) ) but two of my friends confronted her ex (on their own will!) and scared the sh!t out of em and he was nice to me ever since, i was laughin so hard when my friend told me that story, he said the other kid just jumped in to take my back(i didn't even know me n him were cool like that)...

WHOA, i didn't even realize how much i was typing, i was just spouting off examples then that story had came to mind when i was talking about the MA joint locks...well, i guess you aren't the only 1, eh?

and all kidding aside, ALL OF THAT STUFF IS 100% TRUE! haha

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Apprentice
12-01-2001, 12:33 AM
but after that she thought i beat up my girlfriends or something, we were in the process of hooking up, we never did, hehe...it wasn't cuz of that, its cuz i told her i didn't wanna go out with her and i just wanted booty(not like that, but basically)...but maybe it was cuz i "beat her up", hehe

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Stacey
12-01-2001, 01:33 AM
constantly.

To the annoyance of my friends and familly, they accept it now.

HO HO HO
http://thumb-2.image.altavista.com/image/100933751

Chang Style Novice
12-01-2001, 01:37 AM
do forms count as weird? If so, yes. If not, probably still yes. For example, when I hear people talking about basketball or whatever, I say 'that's not a real sport - in a real sport knocking down your opponent is a scoring action, not a foul. And rendering them unconscious is a win, not a reason to get kicked out of the game.'

This happened in the same class as where my drawing teacher was asking the model (an ex-marine) what he should get to protect his family. Marine said a desert eagle is perfect for intimidating burglars. I said, yeah, but a Kwandao is even better. That way, they figure you're armed, dangerous, AND insane!

Johnny Hot Shot
12-01-2001, 01:52 AM
I don't like to show off out side of the Dojo or Club. Unless it's for a demonstration. otherwise to outsiders (new people I meet) I really like to keep my training and my skills private. Kind of like a secret weapon.

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Chang Style Novice
12-01-2001, 01:56 AM
I hear that kind of thing a lot, JHS, but I have to disagree. Maybe it's because I'm a long-haired hippydippy do-gooder geek (ie: I do taiji) but I don't see martial arts as mostly a way to kick ass. I see it mostly as a way to be a better person, and I think everyone can benefit from some training in MA. So, I talk about it a lot and hope to encourage people to take it up.

But then again, I am a long-haired hippydippy do-gooder geek.

Mr. Nemo
12-01-2001, 02:37 AM
More and more frequently, I have to fight off groups of attacking ninjas in public, which gets me a lot of funny looks. The ninjas themselves are pretty tough; fortunately, they only attack one at a time, which makes it easier for me.

SanHeChuan
12-01-2001, 02:46 AM
i dont think anyone really knows what i'm doing, because my movements arnt big and obvious, they would probly just think i'm wierd.

i dont talk about ma either, and when people ask my answers are short and they rarly ask again. Most of the people i know have taken some ma anyway.

Oh yeah and sometime on the street i make sound effects, i do it in class sometimes too. :D

I dont realy wanna be a ninja but some times i "stalk" people late at night walking back from the libray, they probly think i'm just walking behind them, if they only knew what i was thinking. ;)

old jong
12-01-2001, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I often walk around barefooted,wear a strange old hat and sit in lotus playing a bamboo flute! When people ask me who I am, I like to answer "I'm a priest" I got this mania in the seventies watching some TV show. :cool:

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

SanHeChuan
12-01-2001, 03:02 AM
Yeah I hate those ninja guys too, but worse are the machinegun-wielding terrorist and the guy with poo on a stick :eek:

Satanachia
12-01-2001, 05:20 AM
I have a friend who thinks he's god's gift to kung fu. He use to do forms in public, often did little punching drill thingies with himself, etc. Came up and asked, how you would get out of this, tried to blow out candles with his punches...

All i can say is, we think he's the biggest tool in the southern hemisphere.

Please, for your own sake, don't go round doing kung fu stuff unless its some kind of demonstration or training or asked for. God its annoying :D

Stacey
12-01-2001, 05:51 AM
true, but constant practice will make you better.

I don't do kung fu in public, but I can't really complain. I do....um...other thing in public ;)

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

Johnny Hot Shot
12-01-2001, 09:15 AM
What kind of other things do you do in public? ;)

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Ryu
12-01-2001, 09:28 AM
It may involve baboons....
I don't want to know.

;)

Ryu

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/powell/123/Imagenes/kenshin.jpg

Rimpleback Pumpernickle Kez Kez Vuy Tranh Yanagasawa Fujikage Fistibuns....
the lost son of the Fistibuns clan...

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

SanHeChuan
12-01-2001, 10:11 AM
would those be red arsed baboons? :p

Kristoffer
12-01-2001, 11:29 AM
Apprentice - hehe, u're a freak man :D But i think u decerved to be beaten on, harassing girls like that! hehe, cool about your friends though, stick with them.

I always "fight in my head", ALWAYS AND EVERYWHERE. I see a man, and i thinks ofc how i block his attack, follow up, know where the escapes are, if there are back doors, windows, etc.. only my closest friends knows this, they always wondered why my body "twitch" all the time, or why I make weird small movements. They thought i had spasms or somethin :D weell, now that they know what i really do, they just think im more weir :rolleyes:

Oh and by the way, I have this friend who is really cool and all, but he does incredible stupid things in public, ALL tha ******* TIME... I dont want to be bad talking him here coz hes a really good friend, but its not that he just does things he acctually knows.. He does all kinds of made up kung-fu-movie-wannabe-crap-movements that look really horrible! IN public, at McDonalds, in school, or whateve :rolleyes: This is really annoying..
So my advice to any "public's"-er's ( ;) )
If ya do it, then do something that u are actually GOOD at!! jeez.

~K~
"maybe not in combat.. but think of the chicks man, the chicks!" -- someone on the subject of back-flips in combat --

PaleDragon
12-01-2001, 12:22 PM
yeah im constantly practicing/fighting in my mind...and sometimes i do little watered down hand movements in public...but the way i see it....people do way more sh!t to annoy me than that...so they can all deal with it. Oh, hehe and about the "twitching" thing...i must do that really bad when im falling asleep...my girlfriend says i scare her sometimes when i fall asleep at her house cause i twitch and stuff...but i don't care cause i'd rather think about MA than anything else except maybe music. Do people i dont know think im weird cause of some of the little movements i do in public? Most likely, but the beautiful thing is...they don't know the half of it.

HopGar
12-01-2001, 05:23 PM
I do things like that, I'll walk by another guy whos a fellow martial artist (hung gar) and I'll throw punches at him....I occasionally walk down the hallway ofthe school flipping hands in a joint lock postion and stuff like that.....

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

tigerking
12-01-2001, 06:45 PM
I stand in the middle of the mall and practice all the katas iève done, wearing full gi and nothing else, during peak christmas shopping hours. Then I wait for the girls to line up and start taking phone numbers.

The Tigerking

Mutant
12-01-2001, 10:37 PM
I think its natural after a while. I used to do it more (not intentionally, jus spacing out) but am a little more chilled out lately. Now when i do this, i barely do the movement, just enough to feel the muscles twitch, and mostly just imagine the technique working in some application. not to show off at all, more like compulsive practice, don't even realize youre doing it, walking along and practicing hand work, etc... I think any athelete who practices something often and thinks about it a lot will do this, ever see people practice a golf swing w/o a club? Well, same thing, we might just be visualising a sabre instead, or a pak sau...i think the motions, even if slight and not exagerated while you visualise the movement constantly reinforces the brains firing of the corresponding syapses(sp?)which in turn is real practice...i think practicing compulsively, even if while walking down the street, will help improve technique over time and make it second nature. It can be embarrasing though if you suddenly realize that youre doing some movement that probably looks real strange and people are looking at you like youre having some kind of insane hallucination, but who cares what people think, they probably think youre weird anyway.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failures...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Sharky
12-02-2001, 01:20 PM
when i see people doing that, i think they are wannabe c*nts who need to get a life. it really makes me cringe. you don't se michael schumacher going "MMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOWWWPPPPPPPHHHHHHHHHH I'M A CAR I'M A CAR" while making steering movements with his hands when he's shoping in the local Aldi supermarket do you. Eric Clapton never air guitars, writers don't sit ther pretending to write with a pen.

sorry. i used to feel the urge to do that, wheni had just started MA. But i never actually did it. Sometimes i feel the urge now.

but then i think " no, that would be gay "

=================================
What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Frank Exchange
12-02-2001, 01:30 PM
Im with Sharky. Speaking of which, Sharks, I wrote up the HK trip in the WC forum, if you havent already seen it. :)

The chalice from the palace has the pellet with the poison,
The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Sharky
12-02-2001, 01:35 PM
cool, i'll be sure to read it.

PS - I do NOT shop at Aldi ;)

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

shaolinboxer
12-02-2001, 06:06 PM
I no longer do kungfuey things in public. However, I do train in my mind.

Mutant
12-02-2001, 06:27 PM
Sharky, if youre walking around worrying about giving into impulses that you believe will make you look 'gay' to people, then you've got deeper issues :p

-MutantWarrior

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failures...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Robinf
12-02-2001, 06:33 PM
So, am I alone in bowing to my boss as I handed him paperwork? Oi.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

SanHeChuan
12-02-2001, 10:56 PM
hmm, sometimes i ALMOST bow when entering the 7-11 next to the school, i normaly resist any erge to bow when ever i enter places other that my school.

Sharky:
Na uh your GAY :p

fa_jing
12-03-2001, 12:07 AM
This is not in public, but someone mentioned kung fu in an elevator. Sometimes if I'm alone in the 'vator, I'll practice the one-legged stance. It helps your balance to be able to hold this during the acceleration/decceleration. -FJ

Water Dragon
12-03-2001, 12:10 AM
My teacher started doing shoulder throws on me right in front of Union Station in downtown Chicago once. It was funny as hell, two grown business men playing ninja.

I asked him a question and he said, "Come here, let me show you."

Sharky
12-03-2001, 02:47 AM
lol, if i had a student i would kick his ass in public too.

you have a cool teacher :cool:

Starchaser107
12-03-2001, 04:13 AM
Yes and I hope nobodys looking.
I used to drink beverages with drunken fist as if blocking / striking drunken cup...weird.http://www.atman.fcpages.com/enlarged_images/InnerChild.jpg?50m=image

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney