PDA

View Full Version : Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms

GeneChing
09-13-2023, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ucTl-cxIjc

GeneChing
09-27-2023, 07:54 AM
I bought a ticket for this, which is unusual for me because I get screener access, but not for this. I am so glad I saw this on the big screen. It was awesome at that size, if just for the credits alone.

Plucked from The Investiture of the Gods, a 16th century epic, it's something I've never read but seen so many films based on it that I reallly should.

It begins with an epic siege. It's massive, a lot of cgi, and a lot of mobs. It's a big opening, on the level of the finale for most films like this. And it marches on from there. It's the Shang, so ornate geometric designs and heavy bronze. Exquisite costumes and armor, impressive sets for what wasn't cgi, some crazy cinematographic angles, and a twisty overblown plot. And did I mention demons? One of my favorite demons. Demoness. Narana Erdyneeva nails the 9 tailed fox. So seductively feral. There's also Daoist magic, dragons, more demons, taotie, Nezha, Yang Jian... And there's sword fights. And lots of sacrificial suicide.

Actually, there's a lot of film here. It's 2 1/2 hours long, and a ride all the way through. I was throughly entertained by its spectacle. Even the credits were amusing because it was like looking at the great wall of china where every brick is a name. Most ridiculous credits ever. And just when you think they're done, there's an awesome post-credit scene that teases the upcoming sequel, then even more credits - wasn't even halfway through.