PDA

View Full Version : BEST KUNG-FU BOOKS

Castlevania
12-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Let me know!

jon
12-01-2001, 01:42 PM
What kind of book are you after?
A particular style, technique history more info :)

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Castlevania
12-01-2001, 02:51 PM
No matter what the style is,I´m looking for books with lots of information on history,character,and expecially TECHNIQUES!

Radhnoti
12-01-2001, 04:05 PM
Do a search on amazon or whatever you use for Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, he has books that are pretty widely respected that show techniques. I own his Shaolin Chin-Na book and would recommend it.
Another book that comes highly recommended, though it has no techniques that I recall is "The Sword Polisher's Record" by Adam Hsu.
My personal favorite martial art book is "Living the Martial Way". Again, no techniques but a GREAT book.

12-02-2001, 05:55 AM
I want to get Wan Lai Shen's book on Tzuranmen, which my sifu saw in China.

After Wan wrote that book, kung fu men from all over China would show up at Wan's doorstep seeking to challenge the young man that dared reveal the internal secrets of kung fu. Wan beat them all off.

Fu-Pow
12-02-2001, 08:32 AM
I agree with Rahnohti, the "Sword Polisher's Record" by Adam Hsu. It's a great book for all martial artists regardless of style.

Fu-Pow

http://www.geocities.com/fu_pow/vmrc-halloween-3.jpg

http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-02-2001, 08:37 AM
two books my sifu said we should read are the art of war and the book of the five rings (yet to read musashi).

where's my beer?

rubthebuddha
12-02-2001, 10:03 AM
tao teh ching, regardless of your views on taoism. i'm working on john c.h. wu's translation, and it's one of my favorite.

-rtb

Stacey
12-02-2001, 04:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HuangKaiVun:
Wan beat them all off.[/quote]

Ummm. That was nice of him.
:rolleyes: ;) :D

Carpe Diem.

http://www.freesmutserver.com/buh/jt24/tn_s05_jpg.jpg

Mr. Nemo
12-02-2001, 09:19 PM
I also recommend the sword polisher's record. For techniques, I was impressed with "san shou kuai jiao for fighting."

12-02-2001, 09:34 PM
"Living The Martial Way" forgot the author(written by some navy seal)Good Book on code of ethics and frame of mind for the modern warrior.

Radhnoti
12-02-2001, 10:04 PM
Living the Martial Way was written by Forrest Morgan, an airforce officer with blackbelts in some TKD style and a Jujitsu style. But, it's not who he is or what he does that's so impressive. It's the way he's put into words his way of living an honorable warrior's life.
My favorite book.

12-02-2001, 10:31 PM
Radhnoti, thanks for the stats-That is one of my favorites as well-good post

jun_erh
12-03-2001, 03:16 AM
I like the Leung Tings books that are old books he redid to modern language. The ferocious ancient staff is strictly techniques. I also like 108 movements of the shaolin wooden men hall, which is divided into two books. All of those are like 5-10 dollars apiece. Also, secret of shaolin temple boxing by Robert W Smith which is an old manuscript redone in a similar fashion. In general, I think the best books are small and cheap. :D