PDA

View Full Version : Learning punches

Good, better, Me
12-02-2001, 07:37 PM
Can I learn fast punching (something similiar to carruther's technique) by myself, in means of making them faster. Does it take more then just doing them 1000 at a day? I've planned on starting that kind of training. 1000 everyday. I've tried it and was able to do it for a week. Now I got my right middle finger swollown after competing in a taekwondo tournament. Just reminds you that you should keep your fist fully closed when blocking kicks ;)

Ninjas do not exist as long as they don't want to.
http://www.ninjasite.com/shinobi-kai/pic4.gif

LEGEND
12-02-2001, 07:43 PM
Well u have to understand something...TOMMY just doesn't do 1000 chain punches a day...he HAD boxing experience and then started studying with JKD gurus...Ted Wong and so forth...hand speed can be developed...but is your goal to hit hard and fast or just for fancy purpose...alot of it is just natural...if u're small...then chances are u're hand speed will be a blur...if u're a heavy...then u're hand speed will be fast but not blur like. The most important is accuracy...

A

EARTH DRAGON
12-02-2001, 09:20 PM
The best way to improve punching speed is to focus on bring the punch back to chamber. When throwing a back fist if you concentrate on returning the punch the outward snap will increase dramtically. This is due to relaxation and mental visualation.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Good, better, Me
12-02-2001, 10:22 PM
My purpose is just to learn very surprising punches, and some good combos. Nothing fancy, just practical. But not WC or boxing. Could I learn by just doing punching the air and some solid surface?

Ninjas do not exist as long as they don't want to.
http://www.ninjasite.com/shinobi-kai/pic4.gif

Apprentice
12-02-2001, 11:37 PM
I think thats why nobody ever wants to fight me, if they know my hands are as quick as they are...well that advice about "Accuracy Is most important" is 100% true in my eyes...

Try this, Practice punching 1 spot and 1 spot only, of course you need to know proper punching technique, cuz otherwise you'll just develop bad habits("which are hell to break"-Kung Lek i think)...and eventually you arm will develop muscles for that exact motion(if you do it right every time)...first work on accuracy, then speed will come...im not sure who's Signature it is, but it goes like this...

"Through strength will come gentlness, Through Gentleness will come strength"...same thing works with speed, also, try punching with your whole arm tense, now with the exact motion, punch with your arm relaxed and tense it at the moment of impact...if you did this right, your relaxed punch will be twice(well maybe not twice) as fast, that is how you want to punch, a common mistake by most people, and i know other secrets but im not tellin =)...those will help u enough

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice