PDA

View Full Version : bounce in pushhands

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 07:26 PM
Hey, been doing a bit of pushhands lately, and I'm noticing that if my opponent stops moving, I tend to bounce a bit. What sort of practice helps stop this?

Nexus
11-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Push hands practice.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 07:44 PM
What is this practice thing you speak of? ;)

Ifigured. Just thought there might be a specific drill/exercise that applied.

MonkeySlap Too
11-05-2001, 07:57 PM
Your probably lifting your heels off the ground during push hands. When the 'pressure' is off of you, you bounce.

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 08:13 PM
My heels don't lift off of the ground, but is it still possible that I have too much weight towards the toes, and the heels are touching, but not grounded? Would that mess me up?

Water Dragon
11-05-2001, 08:17 PM
Sounds like you're not following. When he stops, you're probably still doing something active. Focus more on stick and follow.

Disclaimer: Of course, I'd have to feel what your doing to be sure.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Kung Lek
11-05-2001, 09:20 PM
root

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry Kung Lek, I was in a rush and did not have the time to read your reply. Could you summarize for me? :D

Kung Lek
11-05-2001, 11:13 PM
push hands requires a great deal of "listening energy".

Also, is dependent on Yin Yang theory.

yin=empty
yang=full

when in a yang state, root is deep
when in a yin state and opponent is yang you are vulnerable to be taken off balance.

If you apply listening energy and "feel" your opponents yin/yang flux at the point where he goes yin, root (go yang) and push before he can go yang again.

if you are both yin or in transition from one to the other is where you will "bounce" as you have put it.

chi sao, is the same in some respects regarding listenining energy.

so, in summary, ...root :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 11:34 PM
Oh, root. Why didn't you just say so? :p

Thanks guys, great info. Keep it coming.

MonkeySlap Too
11-05-2001, 11:40 PM
Yeah, without seeing it was a guess. I see it a lot, especially when people are practicing issueing, the 'bounce'. This 'break' in the structure is almost always the result of the heel leaving the ground inadvertantly.

WD has a good point too.

Could be a lot of things...

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

bamboo_ leaf
11-05-2001, 11:44 PM
It means that you are not really listening (Ting jin)and that you are not really relaxed.

The opponent has stopped moving and you didn’t, you weren’t listening.

Bouncing means not being relaxed you ran into his force and were bounced back by you’re own force.

The first step is to relax. Don’t think of pushing, just follow.
Don’t think that some one is pushing you just feel relaxed. Allow them to help you to find where your not relaxed and then fix that point.

This is a suggestion that helps me.
Work on only one thing.

For example if you’re not relaxed, really relax don’t worry about being pushed or pushing. If you get pushed feel what it feels like. If you find that you’re using force to push or save your self then ask your self why? What is that you want to do?

More Practice is good but with out guidance no real understanding can develop.

If it turns into a winning ego type of drill then you will never really learn. It’s not about learning how to push.

luck in your training

bamboo leaf

brassmonkey
11-06-2001, 08:24 AM
I'm nobody but some good players I've heard say relax alot..might apply here. OOppps Bamboo beat me to the punch.