PDA

View Full Version : Went to Shuai-Jao seminar - met KFO dudes

fa_jing
12-02-2001, 10:44 PM
Hey all. I went to MonkeySlap's Shuai-Jao seminar on Sunday in Naperville, IL. Excellent seminar, in terms of price ($40 for one day) a very good deal considering the amount of instruction I was able to pick up. We were shown throws which are applications to the Northern-Shaolin style footwork and stances. Pretty cool for me as I had been exposed to the stancework before, but never been shown the applications. Besides MonkeySlap, I met SevenStar and Water Dragon. All seem like really cool dudes. I didn't get to chat or compare styles as much as I would have liked, because I was in rush mode all weekend long. I learned how many, 6-8 throws during the three hours I was there, I am extremely sore, it's clear that I need to study Iron Butt technique in order to survive being thrown on my ass that many times on a regular basis. Some were there for two days, I missed a lot of the theory portion, but MonkeySlap took me aside and gave me a quick run-down, which was nice. I think I will be able to apply what I learned during sparring, the situation seems to arise a lot where a throw would come in handy. Hopefully I'll be able to get together with Water Dragon sometime and go over what we learned. I still don't understand some of the basic stepping footwork. Meeting people from KFO was like meeting an actor from a television show that you watch everyday, you sort of can't believe it's real. After the seminar, we demonstrated some forms, it was a lot of fun.
So I guess I'm back to being FA_JING, alter-egos are fun, aren't they?
-FJ

fa_jing
12-02-2001, 10:46 PM
Oh yeah, SevenStar came all the way from Memphis, hope he has a safe trip back. -FJ

Water Dragon
12-02-2001, 10:58 PM
Glad you liked it. Now you know why I drive an hour for class. You're probably not gonna here from MonkeySlap or SevenStar as they are both on the road, and I'm sure they have a lot to do when they get home.

It was good to see ya there. It was nice to see the Wing Chun as well, that was a first to me. I didn't really get a chance to play with you but Sev says you have a good, workable system there.

We can definately go over the throws anytime, just shoot me an e-mail. In the walking, remember that you move from the hip joint and not the leg. Were you there for the leg shanking and locking? That's a big "hidden" part of our footwork.

Peace.

EARTH DRAGON
12-02-2001, 11:17 PM
hey water its your brother earth, I didnt know you did shuai chiao, So do I it was added to our system by master Feng hua Yi, a shuai chiao master, what is your favorite throw? how many throws do you guys know? we teach the standard 40 but 260 are in our system. I love bungtiao and sobei those are my favorites. let me know

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Water Dragon
12-02-2001, 11:47 PM
Well, I'm a newbie to the system and am just starting to experience "effortless" throwing. Truthfully, I don't know how many throws are in the system or the Chinese name.

My bread and butter throws would have to be:

Diagonal cutting ran out of a clinch
Neck Surround ran from a plumb.
The "You a Lil Byatch throw". Runs great off a cross. You pull the "cross" arm over the center and sweep out the front leg. It drives the guy face first into the ground, hard. It's a very insulting throw, I love it.

qeySuS
12-03-2001, 12:36 AM
SevenStar seems to be cuddling wtih everyone these days.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

SevenStar
12-03-2001, 01:04 AM
yeah, your mom's next on my list ;)

The weekend was good. I got to to meet some other longfist guys and got to meet fa_jing. We did forms at the end of the day, WD and F_J both had excellent forms.

WD, I forgot to tell ya man... that counter to my thai kick we figured out...We did that same counter in MT, only with the feet. Remember the probing front kick(jab kick) I told you about? that kick to the same area will shut it down. I wasn't even thinking about that while I was there. Too busy thinking about the other stuff, I guess. I got a §hitload of notes

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Water Dragon
12-03-2001, 06:03 AM
Yeah, that makes sense, although the variations are infinite... you know the rest.

Still, you should have seen your face when I caught that full on one, classic

EARTH DRAGON
12-03-2001, 06:25 AM
how long have you trained in shuai chiao? who is your teacher? what lineage?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

MonkeySlap Too
12-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Well, I had fun. So far the KFO crowd has been fine people. We'll have to have a KFO trip to the bar next time.

Water Dragon
12-04-2001, 07:14 PM
I've been training Shuai Chiao for about 14 months now. Didn't actually get to start throwing until this fall. I'm not sure if my teacher wants me spouting off here, so lets just say the lineage is directly traceable to Chang.

Robbie
12-04-2001, 09:29 PM
http://www.8step.com/update.htm

btw Earthdragon is Michael Haley

EARTH DRAGON
12-04-2001, 09:36 PM
robbie your point is?

Robbie
12-04-2001, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by EARTH DRAGON
robbie your point is?

Earth Dragon Biography: Owner of KUNG FU USA, shifu in the art of 8 step praying mantis kung fu, blackbelt in okinwan go-ju-ryu karate, trained with many famous masters and currently teaching and hosting seminars In the U.S on the art of kung fu and Qi-gong

You're not authorized to teach by Grandmaster Sun.

By the way, check the lineage page http://www.8step.com/about/lineage.html
to see who the real Earth Dragon(Di Long) in the system is.

sorry boys just can't resist posting on the new forum. Too much fun.

MonkeySlap Too
12-04-2001, 10:26 PM
We're card carrying ACSCA members. My ACSCA traiing comes from Dr. Brian Wu, a direct student of Chang Tung Sheng's. I've had plenty of exposure to the other masters in the ACSCA.

While the lineage is great, the truth is the quality of my students. We cross train several methods with Chang style as the core.

Generally I don't like to talk to loudly about myself or my group. We prefer to train quietly, diligently and intensely. I prize honesty over bluster or claims of importance. If you sniff around, I hang out in pretty good company so I guess we are doing something right.

Does that answer your question?