PDA

View Full Version : sparring/fearlessness

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 07:31 PM
I've been working on sparring a lot lately, and I'm finding that against very competent fighters(my teacher, sor instance), I tense up dramatically, and don't do my best.

In order to get over this as quickly as possible, I'm considering taking up fencing. Fencers go at it constantly with each other, and I've done some reading up- the fundamentals don't seem at odds with the body mechanics I'm learning, with the key exception of the straight line thing.

Anyway, what's your opinion?

apoweyn
11-05-2001, 07:38 PM
KC,

i did fencing for a while. but i think the impulse you're talking about is probably largely contextual. in other words, getting comfortable with someone coming after you with a sabre may not really put you at ease against someone coming after you with leg kicks. or whatever.

study fencing, by all means. it's a lot of fun. but if you're looking to address some deficiency in your current sparring, i think you'd do better to develop drills that focused on that sort of sparring. progressive drills that started out less intense and more focused and ended up more intense and less focused.

for example, if your defense needs work, try sparring drills in which you have to defend against, say, hands only. when you're feeling more comfortable, add kicks. then add the ability to counter. then, in time, your freesparring will improve.

that's my thought anyway. learn to deal with something under controlled conditions, and it will lessen the trauma of the uncontrolled conditions.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 07:42 PM
Ap,

Actually, its my offense that seems to be the problem. I'll try what you recommended. Still might fence, though. Just sounds like fun.

SevenStar
11-05-2001, 07:57 PM
why is it that you tense up? There must be some aspect of your training that you aren't fully confident in. For example, I used to lack confidence in punching range, so I tried to avoid it. I began working my puches more, and now have no fear of being in that range. Do you fear eating a punch from your sifu if you open yourself up? when do you tense? Is it at a certain range, or transitioning to a certan range?

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 08:10 PM
Actually, its at punching range, and it makes it difficult to get in closer, where my kung fu really shines(well, gleams mildly).

SevenStar
11-05-2001, 08:30 PM
I figured. try working your entering techniques. Also, accept the fact that you will get hit. These two things may help a little.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

The Willow Sword
11-05-2001, 08:31 PM
i have had this problem before with my sifu. i do not spar him like i spar others,,for not of my own ego i do not wish to make him lose face or make him feel incompetent if i should hit him or take him down....it is this respevt and also a humbled feeling that if i did do thid that he would step up the sparring to a level that i am not ready to go with him. what i do to him he will no doubt do to me even worse or harder. i know that some teachers will comlpiment ther students for popping them or taking them down,,,,i do not know what my sifu would do,,all i know is that i respect and love who he is soo much that i would not want to do anything to him.
that is a barrier that i have to work on. of course this does not apply to anyone else,,,,with everyone else i could care less if i pop em or take em down,,they should have been blocking better or paying attention,,,instead of trying to impress their girlfriend watching on the bench,,haha.
Many Respects, Willow Sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
Luke?! Luke?! dont give into hate. That leads to the dark side.
Obi Wan Kenobi,,star wars, empire strikes back.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 08:34 PM
My teacher would pulverize me if I went light on him on purpose. He hates that. He teaches so that one day we can be brothers, so he expects us to try to better him at every opportunity, as long as we do so with what he has taught us.

Kristoffer
11-05-2001, 08:35 PM
I find western fencing boring as hell, check out Kendo insted.

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 08:40 PM
Kristoffer,
you've taken fencing?

apoweyn
11-05-2001, 08:40 PM
KC,

I definitely think you should give western fencing a go. I thought it was a blast.

I tried it because I practiced eskrima, and the two arts are related. (Actually, 'esgrima' is the spanish word for fencing.) A lot of the stickfighting concepts I'd learned were obviously related to fencing (perhaps because of the longtime Spanish occupation of the Philipinnes).

Stuart B.

KC Elbows
11-05-2001, 08:45 PM
Any of you read Aldo Nadi's "On Fencing"? I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Did he write anything else?

Ryu
11-05-2001, 09:20 PM
Sparring my instructors was one of the things I loved the most :D When rolling with other guys, we had more of a mindset of "winning the match" and we went at it hard to beat the other guy. Good in a sense of competition, but not necessarily good in learning and the non-ego stuff. I started winning a lot of grappling matches with lots of different people, and started feeling a bit scared of being defeated. Until I got my clock cleaned by a 250 pound judoka. :D Then I trained hard to spar him again, and beat him the next time. :D (Ever see Rocky 3?? ....okay well not that dramatic I guess.. :( LOL)

With my instructors I loved it because I could care less about losing. I already accepted that defeat might be instore for me, and I didn't give it a second thought. I could go at it with all my energy, and have a great time rolling with pro judoka who fought overseas all their lives, etc.

Took a while, but I finally got that attitude with the better students too. Tools to kill the ego... hard but necessary I think.

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

KC Elbows
11-06-2001, 01:25 AM
OK, if my problem is at punching distance, getting in closer, how would you guys drill this?

I suppose I could drill one or two moves that close the distance and see how that works. Any tips?

yenhoi
11-06-2001, 04:05 AM
Sparr more and get beat up.

Learn to take shots to the face - or actually just get hit full power all over, like SevenStar said.

Sparr more, and sparr lots of different people.

strike!

CanadianBadAss
11-06-2001, 04:21 AM
when you spar, and are learning how to take full power shots to the face should the other guy have any kind of gloves on?

|) /- | | |
| / |_| |__

thumper
11-06-2001, 06:05 AM
be mad deceptive at punching range (like a boxer...alot of head movement, etc). throw fakes. give openenings to set the other guy up. i don't know if you stand staticly or if you are moving around when you spar, but as soon as your opponent seems set, throw him off, change leads, juke him. anything that puts him on the end of having to respond to what you are doing, puts you in control. in punching range, maybe fake a jab and throw a kick instead. but in that range, your jab should be a legitamite threat to him, cuz you are in his punching range too so you still need to give trouble....so make your fake jab a real jab (one that will tag him if he doesn't respond to it)that you are ready to switch to the kick as soon as you see him go for the jab (whether he blocks, hits, etc). just some thoughts. best of luck to you.

"...either you like reincarnation or the smell of carnations..."
- Cannibal Ox

nospam
11-06-2001, 06:53 AM
so he expects us to try to better him at every opportunity, as long as we do so with what he has taught us. - Ooh, I luv that. Could not agree more.

You tense up on your offense? Probably stemming from improper basics. Also, if you only tense up when you mix it up with seniors, then it is psychological as well. Fear of getting hurt? Over emphasis on your guard/defense? You want to show as if you are trying to lay a hurt on, but in actuality you are tensing so a lee-way exists and no collateral damage is given?

If this occurs all of the time, I would practise sparring at a slower pace so you can work on the feeling of interaction vs simply throwing techniques. When we fight, we will not look exactly as we train, too many added dynamics such as response time, body position, physical contact, being hit and hitting, focus, mind set, etc..

nospam.

Kristoffer
11-06-2001, 02:17 PM
KC- nah I just think that watching fencing comp. is extremly boring :D Why take up fencing if ya wanna get good at your chosen martial art, kungfu? Just train harder.. wanna get better at sparring? Just spar more. Dont go easy on anyone just for the fact that they are better than u. Thats what I think anyway.

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

KC Elbows
11-06-2001, 04:00 PM
Again, thanks for the good advice!

NoSpam: I think it might be an overemphasis on defense. The fear factor, as far as getting hurt, is not too strong. However, with my teacher, I perhaps spend too much time thinking that he is about to execute some crazy technique, so I try to stymie it, and it detracts from my offence.

Thanks guys.