View Full Version : Gongfu develops character

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2001, 05:12 AM
They say that study of gongfu develops character. I think I'd rather pick my nose with a curare-tipped arrow than believe that either Ginger Fist or Rich Mooney developed their character from the same kind of gongfu that I do.

Remember 'I renounce Spinning Backfist'?

Well, I renounce Rich Mooney and Ginger Fist.

You guys are an embarassment, no matter your level of skill or knowledge. You deserve each other, but I sincerely hope that no-one else deserves either of you.

mantis7
12-03-2001, 05:20 AM
Well gung fu doesnt create character it is the sifu that cultivates that in a student. combat arts of gung fu is for fghting it knows not good or evil that is based on the indivdual and what the indivdual is taught by that persons teacher..

my two cents

Nexus
12-03-2001, 05:26 AM
Often the Taoist philosophies point us at the understanding that all people develop character in accordance with their motivations and reasoning for their actions. This is why even those who often study on the greatest and most humble of masters are egotists, and sometimes those who study under the egotists remain humble and just focus on gaining the art itself. A lot could be said in words on this subject, but truly we cannot pinpoint exact factors that cause this as it is the individual and not the art that promotes this type of character development/process.

Keep in mind that the characters of others are not necessarily good nor bad, just different from your own. They are often seen in a different light though, and perhaps can be detrimental to the success and progress of those people around them, if you shed light on the "weakest link in the chain" metaphor.

Often said to me by my teachers during my learning, "You follow your Tao, others follow their Tao."

- Nexus

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2001, 05:37 AM
Thank you both for your intriguing thoughts.

I still can't help but be ashamed at some kinds of behavior, though.

jon
12-03-2001, 05:47 AM
I cant say much for Mr Mooney i havent read enough of his posts but Ginger on the other hand is another story.
One of the best comments i heard him say was concentrate on the message not the messenger. He often has some very interesting things to say he just chooses to do it in a very different way to how most of us would like. Im not sure of his exact reasons, i just have a feeling much of what he says has a lot of merit. Its not all inline with my thinking but so what, its a forum for public expression right?
Im not saying im all for the way he does his thing im just saying dont take it personaly and just 'read' a little into what he is saying.
He often states he's try to prevent misinformation which in many ways is quite
a good service imho.
Ive certainly seen some pure evil offensive rants in his posts but ive also seen some gold.
:D

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

Apprentice
12-03-2001, 05:50 AM
1 of those things in the movies, where the good guy has to get something to save the world, and if the evil guy gets it then he can take over the world...

Everyone has 'good and/or evil' in them, sometimes more of 1 than the other, sometimes just 1...if someone gets a hold of gung fu(or any martial art) they can use the power for good or evil...good being humble, to help others, and evil for bullying, and other evil deeds...ya get it? And by evil i dont nessessarrily mean that Ginger Fist and the other guy are evil, they just have a different personality and the gung fu may have made it worse(not definantly)...but almost everyone has some type of good in them, all of us are tempted at 1 time to lean towards evil, it all depends on the power of the mind which light we follow...

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Chang Style Novice
12-03-2001, 05:58 AM
I think that if someone has valuable information to impart, they do both themselves and the knowledge a disservice if they fail to demonstrate the dignity it deserves.

In other words, if you act like a clown, I'm not liable to listen to you even if you have something I ought to hear.

Starchaser107
12-03-2001, 06:02 AM
That post was rather remarkable.
It explains alot. Even though I did not. ask the question in this thread.. Thank you.

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

EARTH DRAGON
12-03-2001, 06:38 AM
Most of you know me on this board and have been told and feel as though I contribute a lot of quality information on this and other boards. I was in a deep intelligent conversation about the introduction of qigong to america when ginger fist "whom I have never spoken to " broke in and said this.......

what?!? i thought this was extreme forum sports, sorry, wrong web page
While Earth Dragon's post may have been an annoying sweeping generalization,
--annoying? stupid as sh*it is more like it
it really doesn't help for you to jump out with the expletives.
--so the ? becomes, does it really hurt?
Unless you were joking?
--of course about ripping him, no about america doing more for my people than any other country.

So I relpied If you dont agree with what I said then just say so thats fine, but thier is no need to call me names and swear at me, just explian why you dont agree. what he replied was delelted from the thread becuse it contained vulgarness and profanity. I dont see how most of these people call themselves martial artists, for they should learn to respect others and humbleness the first day of class. obviously some people have learned nothing.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

jon
12-03-2001, 06:51 AM
sticks and stones so to speak.
I cant help thinking a lot of people are viewing this the wrong way. They obviously enjoy trolling... Thats not to say they dont ever have anything to say.
If you take every comment personaly or view everything either party or anyone else writes as gospell your asking for trouble.
I have seen many of Gingers attacks and I cant say i agree with them at all. Still i have, as said also seen some very good points raised.
Not everyone is going to act like there surpossed to and the world is full of people who play odd games.
The old expression[and film] Crouching Tiger, Hidden dragon.
Think about this not everyone is what they seem the world is full of people pretending to be fools who actualy know a lot. Its also full of people doing the reverse. Its up to us to pick what we decide to. Not to take everything in the upfront way.
Again not saying i agree with the method but the message is often there. Not always but often...

EARTH DRAGON
12-03-2001, 07:01 AM
allow me to cut and paste what gingerfist's reponse was on the "iron wire scars" thread.

the reason nobody knows of the "exoteric" element but u, sh*itbag, is because most of us that r accomplished focus on the "esoteric" & arcane aspects of our art form u pathetic pseudo-intellectual kung fu wannabe now shove ur head back up ur as*s where u r safe & warm fu*ckfaced poseur.

This is what he said in his response to a perfectly good question from a honest fellow martial artist.
This is the guy you want to stick up for? I dont think he should have anyone say anything good about him with comments like that.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

jon
12-03-2001, 07:09 AM
Im not so much trying to defend anyone as state that people shouldnt take them so seriously.
Iron wire is the jewel in the crown of my style im not offended?
Its a message board and many of the comments will always be either off the mark or plain and simply wrong.
My point is its up to us to decide on how to take these things and getting angry with someone on a pc will do you no good at all.
I wouldnt be surprised if Ginger flames me for even writing this but that as im trying to say isnt the point.
Also much as i hate to say it...
Those aspects of Iron wire shouldnt be discussed imo on a public forum and im not so surprised at gingers responce.
Dont think im in the Ginger fan club im just someone who takes what he says with a 'pinch of salt' yet eats it anyway
The world is full of strange lessons some of which are neither pleasent nor enjoyable.
Ginger may not have the manners we might like but that doesnt mean he 'never' has anything of merit to add.
Often its simply to flame but if you sift though the insults there is almost always a point.
;)

diego
12-03-2001, 07:38 AM
i havent been following ginger,but people are labeling turiyan as a troll so that last post on the iron wire scans wasnt bull**** from ginger.
agian im sure ginger is a punk-troll... & that post was stupid //semi-incoherant, but not a baseless-troll.

Stacey
12-04-2001, 03:27 PM
Well Earthdragon, I for one like your posts a lot. In fact if you ever in New Jersey, look me up. I turn 18 next year, but I have a boyfriend now, so its not like any big deal. Anyway, I saw your web page and I think that chi kung you do is very cool, I wish there was some way that we could get together to work out. What other taoist arts are you familiar with?

EARTH DRAGON
12-04-2001, 09:50 PM
Jon you are right, we shouldnt let peoples ignorance undermine the real reason we are here, and that's to talk about the thing we all love martial arts. It jusrt seems appropaite with this thread to call it like I see it.

Stacy I have a kung fu brother who owns a school in sayraville NJ. Maybe you can check it out, email me and I will give you his information.

nospam
12-04-2001, 10:01 PM
Indeed, gung fu will build character. As mentioned, the character of the teacher is part of the character of the gung fu; therefore, one is the same.

The measure of character built will equal the level of discipline developed and offered to one's teacher.

nospam.

:cool: