PDA

View Full Version : "It" revealed

Richie
12-03-2001, 08:00 AM
So "IT" was revealed. What do you guys think? I think it is cool, but not as big as the internet.

For traditional kung fu go to www.taishingpekkwar.com (http://www.taishingpekkwar.com)

Xebsball
12-03-2001, 08:07 AM
I really dont know what you mean.

----------------------------
You brake my elbow i put your face in s.hit! HA HA HA, how about that, HA HA!
http://www.systemofadown.com/images/blurb3.jpg

KungFuGuy!
12-03-2001, 08:17 AM
I don't know about being as big as the internet, but it'll be pretty big. I was disapointed though, all the hype and speculation must have gotten to me.

IT is a scooter that uses your body movements to drive around, no gas pedals or brakes. In runs on a battery which is it's big selling point, as it's environmentaly safe. It'll be popular in highly poluted or populated cities like LA and most of china.

Mutant
12-03-2001, 08:23 AM
I think It's very kewl technology and very well may affect personal transportaion. Self balancing single axle computer controled gyroscopes.
I've been following Kamen's inventions (no, Al Gore didnt invent this one :-) since word of Ginger 1st leaked last year. Ginger was a much better name then SegWay, although I like the play on words, dumb name...
It's not as big as the internet though. No matter how fun or practical those scooter things may turn out, it couldnt have a wider reach than the web, which is affecting us right this second, providing instant access to learn just about anything (well 'cept KF of course) & half-baked opinions such as this...

-MutantWarrior

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failures...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

KungFuGuy!
12-03-2001, 08:35 AM
Oh yeah, and the biggest worry about this scooter is that it will eliminate the need for walking, making people even fatter. I think that's BS, since walking down the street is very little excercise if you're used to it. Sure, if you're a fat slob who gets winded walking to work, then it'll make you even fatter, but those people should be excercising anyway.

SifuAbel
12-03-2001, 10:55 AM
"It" as a scooter is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

But, I suspect Ginger is just an introduction to the technology which will be seen in other applications very soon.

Are you immortal?

sifuabel@yahoo.
com

scotty1
12-03-2001, 11:17 AM
I'd say this has about as much to do with KF as death metal, wouldn't you? :)

"Some people, irrespective of skill, are just wankers." -Satanachia

IronFist
12-04-2001, 12:58 PM
lol scotty!

Iron

JasBourne
12-04-2001, 03:19 PM
I'll hold out for the all-terrain IT, with a $100 pricetag (I'm not about to plunk down 3 grand for a scooter that I can outrun).

Drache
12-04-2001, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by JasBourne
I'll hold out for the all-terrain IT, with a $100 pricetag (I'm not about to plunk down 3 grand for a scooter that I can outrun).

The scooter on Good Morning America was set for 12MPH top speed. That is running pretty fast. it can be set to a maximum of 35Mph, the speed limit for cars outside my house, that doesnt sound very fast but on a scooter, it is.

~Drache~

nospam
12-04-2001, 09:52 PM
I thought it was ugly at first, but after watching the thing move for a minute or two...I was sold- well, figuratively speaking!

nospam.
:cool:

Budokan
12-04-2001, 09:53 PM
NEWSFLASH: This scooter (and yeah, it's a scooter) isn't going to change the world the way its inventor touted. It's a scooter and that's all it is. Plus, the people who ride them appear to have corncobs up their tails; notice how their posture is so perfect, as if they're afraid if they move their center of gravity too quickly that unstable piece of junk will flip them into the ditch...?

Thanks all the same, but I'll keep my Firebird--or I'll walk. I stopped playing with scooters when I was nine.:rolleyes:

Black Jack
12-04-2001, 10:09 PM
Give it a chance Budokan, the corncobs will only hurt for a sec.

I have been waiting awhile for the "it" to come out and I thought it has a very huge amount of potential for certain aspects of the transportation industry and the way we may get to and fro in the future.

Take another look at the "it" without getting got up in it's looks and I think you may see some amazing things that it can do in function.

P.S. Though I am with you, I will never give up my muscle car fetish. I wonder if the "it" will come with a pistol grip hurst shifter :cool:

Leonidas
12-04-2001, 11:41 PM
I knew what "IT" was a year or so ago. I read about it in a Science magazine but they just wouldn't give details, thats all. I still didn't get to see the finished product but i know what your talking about. It annoyed me how much the media made it seem like they finally invented COLD FUSION. It made me wonder how much the company payed them to do that, or they were just looking for the next big story as usual but couldn't admit what it was too soon........................... ****, i hate reporters.:mad: :p :rolleyes:

Abstract
12-05-2001, 09:17 AM
most ppl can barely drive a friggin' car and you don't have to balance anything, just sit your fat arse down and pay attention to what you're doing. How many deaths are caused by car accidents? Now you wanna give ppl scooters that can go up to 35mph? man i can see the mangled bodies & scooters all over CNN:p :p

Most heads can't even balance on a bicycle, much less STAND on a scooter...it's a novelty that may or may not wear off.

Taomonkey
12-05-2001, 09:52 AM
A few Weeks ago, South PArk had an episode where Mr. Garrison invented an "IT" to combat the airline industry. His "IT" had one big wheel, a balencing gyroscope and you controlled the machine through two poles that went into your mouth and anus. Only slightly more H.O.M.O-Erotic than the real thing.

JWTAYLOR
12-05-2001, 10:35 AM
To hell with this thing. They "hope" that it will "eventually" get down to the $3,000 range. WAY too much. Especially since it's illegal on a whole lot of city sidewalks.

JWT

Chang Style Novice
12-05-2001, 11:01 AM
I can picture some worthwhile applications for the Segway (terrible name, though.)

Problems I see:

1 - It's too big and heavy. Where do you park it? You can't really expect to take it indoors most places, so what do you do when you get where you're going?

2 - It doesn't have enough room to carry around much stuff if you go grocery shopping or something similar. To be practical, it needs to carry a person and their paraphenalia.

3 - As has been mentioned already, it doesn't flow well with either foot traffic or motor traffic. Where's the niche?

4 - Bicycles are cheaper, healthier, and do everything this does except cost $3000 and let you not excercise.

5 - Instead of everyone spending $3000 to solve traffic problems, why not spend some money on decent public transit and bike lanes? Cheaper, easier, and proven to work.

You gett he picture.

Colin
12-07-2001, 08:58 AM
You're having a laugh!
Reminds me of the "Sinclair C5" from 10-15 years ago.
It was meant to revolutionise modern transport.
They just aren't safe on the road, and if they are on the pavement then loads of old grannys are gonna get run over!
Piece of crap!
Apart from the fact that every time you park it, someone will try to steal it, or vandalise it.
Buy a bicycle it'll last a lot longer!
C........

scotty1
12-07-2001, 09:06 AM
If WE can't talk about music, YOU can't talk about ****ing scooters!!!

(Holding breath, stamping feet)

:) :D

Mutant
12-07-2001, 09:20 AM
Toamonkey is right, SouthPark totally slammed this hyped up Ginger thing with a scalding parody....the SouthPark people were <starting to laugh> riding around on IT which was propelled by simultaniously sticking a pole up their butt, sucking on a rod and jerking off a lever with their hand, it was one of the funniest things I've see in a long time, we laughing histerically, IT was completely outragious!!! LMFAO
Look out for that episode, it is freaking hilarious :D :p :D