PDA

View Full Version : I dont understand Hung Gar, can someone help?

Apprentice
12-02-2001, 07:13 AM
I was looking at some pics of Hung Gar cuz i was considering taking it, but the stances looked very weird and off balancing...

Is it really possible to fight somebody like that in a street fight? Using the crane "pecking"? and leaning so far foward with the tiger style, what if you miss and get side kicked in the head, it looks like you'd surely fall, correct me if im wrong though, but are those stances strong enough to be attacked from every angle? be honest too, and tell me how it is more effective doing these strange movements, they appear very off balancing, i keep an open mind, so dont think im trolling or flamming or anything, can someone help?

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

joedoe
12-02-2001, 07:19 AM
No stance can be strong in all angles. Different stances for different situations.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

jon
12-02-2001, 03:25 PM
I tried to give you an example of this stuff in your other thread but its a tricky concept.
You need to stop looking at Hung Ga in a static way. Its not boxing the 'stances' you see are not 'gaurds'!
There the ends of movements or sometimes even taken mid movement.
Hung Ga has very stable footwork its one of the styles main strengths. The stances are performed very low to produse strong legs. There not always low in an actual street situation.
Also movements like a crane beak are not like a strait jab from boxing there not simply thrown out at random. There a more advanced technique aimed at presure points and used in line with other movements that offset the balance of the attacker.
You really need to find a teacher and talk to them. Searching around the net can only give you a very brief understanding of a kung fu style.
Could you explain any lifetime of study in a couple of pages of text and pictures?
:D

you cant win all the time but you cant always lose either...

David Jamieson
12-02-2001, 05:56 PM
apprentice.

Try a Hung Gar stylist on for yourself and find out how effective it is.

Crane reincarnates itself is not a static stance and the strikes are for precision.

The younger Hung practitioners use a lot of smashing through and as the style is developed within, and more refinement comes, then it is precision in technique.

Hung Gar is a very powerful style as is the essential Siu Lam Tiger system it is born from.

It has survived this long and has been used in a lot of "street" encounters. Many of it's great practitioners are very well known for their prowess and capabilities in street encounters.

You play with a tiger, you gonna get bit.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)