PDA

View Full Version : Interpretation of forms

Gatekeeper
11-05-2001, 10:10 PM
Did your teacher give you interpretation for the form you were learning, or did you figure it out on your own? In the end, which way do you think you can gain more from?

The Gatekeeper

joedoe
11-06-2001, 01:01 AM
I think it is better for your teacher to point you in the right direction, then for you to figure it out for yourself.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

honorisc
11-06-2001, 02:21 AM
I think it's nice to do the formas your shown/told and understand the obvious what comes to yous then do it some more and realze some other what comes to yous (even furtherings of the last what comes to yous). And if you didn't see whout the founders saw that the instructors inform you of the intention or an application of that part in/of the form. Keep doing the form if you're not getting insights as to the initial intentions of the form or significant applications, then you're at least developing the capability to execute the intentions /applications when /if you are told/do realize.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 02:46 AM
forms teach principles of movement, among other things...the applications are limitless. even if your sifu shows you an application of a technique, don't accept that as THE application, as there are several more.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

neptunesfall
11-06-2001, 03:57 AM
there is always more than one application to a movement. there are always more than two applications to a movement.
take a technique you like from a form. do it backwards. see what you find.
take a technique from a form you really like.
start half way through it and go to half way through the next movement. see what you find.
ie - repulse the monkey [from taichi] becomes continuous spear hands while you charge in, or retreat, depending on which way you normally practice it.

------
i need a signature. any ideas?

joedoe
11-06-2001, 08:35 AM
Another good thing to keep in mind is that every strike can be a block, and every block can be a strike. Then see how many applications you can glean from your forms. :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi