PDA

View Full Version : age

EasyNow
11-30-2001, 11:45 PM
what age is best to strat weight training?

IronFist
12-01-2001, 12:20 AM
18, assuming normal processes of maturation.

In other words, an 18 year old who hasn't started puberty yet shouldn't weight train.

I guess it's ok to train younger, but with lots of reps and light weight. Avoid near maximal weights if you're young, as they stress the bones and growth plates and other stuff too much.

Iron

"Now why the **** would you censor "d.ork?"

Ironman PostLog: 1100 - 11/20/01

"Don't you get cose to me with that knofe or I'll have to dofond mosolf!" - KC Elbows

nospam
12-04-2001, 10:15 PM
Obviously we are all different in terms of physical development, but my personal opinion is that the earliest for consistent weight training (any form) would be 14-16.

If done properly, the advantages of a progressive weight training regimine is timeless.

Train hard, and smart.

nospam.
:cool:

red5angel
12-05-2001, 12:30 PM
Well, here is the deal on weightlifting... before the age of about 18, and this can and does change from person to person, your body is still making major growth changes, even if you aren't growing up your bones are still filling out. Before that age, usually roughly the end of puberty, it is not a good idea to weight train heavily, light weights, high reps is good, like someone has already stated. After that, the optimal time for training is around the age of 22-23 and on up. By this time your body has physically matured as bout as much as it is going to.
If you wieght train heavily too early, you may not notice any problems, but they can manifest later in life.

Red5angel

ElPietro
12-05-2001, 02:47 PM
In your major growth spurts in life if you are training heavy you can stunt your growth...like everyone said...just go light...or better yet just play sports while you are young...develop good coordination...and chase girls around...

Robinf
12-06-2001, 07:08 AM
I would think from the effort boys put into chasing girls, that's about all the exercise they need :D

Robin

wingchunroy
12-06-2001, 11:45 PM
My bestbet for you is to do what I did when I wanted to start weight training. I went and had all of my growth plates x-rayed by my family doctor. Then by looking at the x-rays he was able to tell if it was time for me to start lifting weights. Also it helps to have started puberty.