PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is chi sao?

Apprentice
12-02-2001, 09:20 AM
(forgive me if i spelled it wrong)

BUt what is it? Detail plz.(including techniques, and benefits)

I hear it replaces sparring, how is that so?

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Dave Farmer
12-02-2001, 09:52 AM
Firstly, Chi Sau doesn't 'replace' sparring.

IMHO, Chi Sau is a link between the forms and free fighting/sparring.

Chi Sau is not 'fighting' it is an exercise to enhance the practitioners:
A) Sensitivity
B) Positioning
C) Reflex
D) Technique

As with the rest of the system, Chi Sau is just a tool.

Using Chi Sau you can analyse the structure and useage of the positions learned in the forms and explore your own interpretations.

Regards

Dave F

'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

rubthebuddha
12-02-2001, 10:08 AM
other benefits:

relaxation, focus (or the lack of it), determination, awareness, etc.

do chi sau for a couple hours with someone who makes you work, and these and the previously mentioned benefits will be readily apparent.

do chi sau for many years and the benefits will be obtained.

-rtb

Nichiren
12-02-2001, 11:04 AM
Why don't you try chi-sao with someone who is really good at WC? You probably have a descent school near you that can help you?

The first time I chi-sao:ed with my Sifu it was like standing on a slippery surface with zero balance, he owned my centreline and I felt like he wasn't there? Sounds weird? He didn't even try to hit me. He just pointed out all my weaknesses to me.

You have to experience it to understand it.

Wingman
12-03-2001, 03:56 AM
Chi sao is loosely translated as "sticky hands". But this translation does not describe what chi sao really is. It is not true that you always and at all times stick your hands with your opponent. When there is no contact with the opponent's hands, you don't "chase" the opponent's hand to establish contact. Instead, you strike.

Let us start with single hand chi sao. Partner#1 executes a tan sao while partner#2 executes a fook sao. Both partners' hands are in contact at the wrist. When partner#1 executes a punch or a palm stike, partner#2 neutralizes the strike with a chum sao. Partner#2 punches partner#1. Partner#1 executes a bong sao to neutralize the punch. Partner#1 executes a tan sao and partner#2 executes a fook sao. Now we're back from where we started. The techniques are then repeated. This description may sound like a drill but chi sao is not a drill. Both partners concentrate not just on the individual techniques but also on the other partner's force/energy. The objective is to neutralize the opponent's force/energy.

After single hand chi sao there is rolling or parallel hand chi sao. There is also cross hand chi sao. In fact there are many "levels or stages" of chi sao. But the objective is the same.

Chi sao is like a conversation. When your partner strikes, he is like asking you a question. When you block or parry, you are answering the question. You can also answer his question with a question by using the technique "fist parries fist". Your partner has little or no idea what your answer will be. This is where chi sao comes in. In chi sao, we are trained to "listen" to the opponent's energy so that we will have some idea on what his reaction might be.

yuanfen
12-03-2001, 04:45 AM
You might want to look at the Nov/dec issue of
KUNGFU/Qigong to see one take on chi sao.