PDA

View Full Version : Double/Single Arm Gan Sao

Super-Fist
12-03-2001, 10:08 AM
Sup!? I was wondering what you guys think are some of the more practical uses of the double and single arm gan sao. How would you use the two in terms of offense and defense? What are some of the theories behind it? And what are the most efficent applications of it in terms of combat?

Thanks.

rubthebuddha
12-04-2001, 02:14 PM
any attack below your horizontal midline (guard) but above kicking range. doesn't matter if it's a kick, punch, elbow or what.

make sure your gan sau is relaxed and use it like a machete to attack the offending limb, and make sure you're emphasizing using the bone instead of the softy tissue.

my forearms are well conditioned, but after teaching out newest students how to use a basic gan sau, even i come home with bruises. i'd hate to spend the same time teaching my instructors. ;)

Wingman
12-06-2001, 01:29 AM
I don't think there is a practical application of double arm gan sao. Double arm gan sao is only executed in the forms; just like double arm fan sao in the SLT and double bong sao which can be found in the chum kiu form. In reality, you use only one hand to execute a bong sao, fan sao, gan sao, etc. IMHO, these techniques are executed with both hands in the forms so that both left and right bong/fan/gan sao can be done in one movement. This is economy of motion.

Of course this is only my opinion. If you can cite a practical application of these double arm techniques, please let me know.

whippinghand
12-06-2001, 02:32 AM
Yeah, it's in the form, so it would not have a legitimate application...

mun hung
12-06-2001, 02:06 PM
Defensively, the double arm gong sau can be used to cover and protect an entire area. Offensively, it can be used to break the opponents weapon, or both: simultaneous offense and defense. It all depends on the application and results you seek. Use your imagination.

OdderMensch
12-06-2001, 06:53 PM
I've been shown recently a use of he "double fook sau" that i think you are reffering to as the "double fan sau" (its the bit in chum kui after the three double lans right?)

a bit to hard to go into on an internet forum but it works just like in the form.

Wingman
12-07-2001, 12:03 AM
Some double arm techniques have practical applications. One example I can think of is double chum sao (also called double knife hand). When the opponent punches you counter with double chum sao. One of your chum sao is in the opponent's wrist while the other is in his forearm near his elbow. That's one application I can think of.

But I still can't imagine how to use a double bong sao and a double gan sao in practical application. Do you have any ideas?

KenWingJitsu
12-17-2001, 04:47 PM
LOL!!! The answer is simple....to 'catch' a kick. When you do it, your bottom (garn sao) hand rotates up to a ton sau which leaves the mid or high level kick in the crook of your elbow.

Jeff
12-17-2001, 05:36 PM
KenWingJitsu,
Could you be speaking of the guat sau part of the
form? I think what Super-fist is speaking of is
the start of the first third of the form. Oh well!

Back to the question:

I think that the double gan sau could be used for
getting out of traps when you flip it over into
double tan sau. Other than that, I can't think of
any other uses for it...

Single arm gan sau can be used for kicks like what
KenWingJitsu said, and it can be used for just about any low attack that is above kicking level.

Novox77
12-17-2001, 07:44 PM
Many elements in the SNT appear as pairs, e.g. double tan sau, double gaun sau, etc. Just because they appear that way in the SNT form doesn't mean there's an application for those poses. The SNT exists to train positions as it's first priority, as it acts as a table of contents to many of the positions in wing chun. As the brain tends to give us more coordination on one side of the body (usually the right), doing things symmetrically helps us get it right on our crappy side.

For those who disagree, I'd be interested to hear how double gaun sau is used in application.

S.Teebas
12-18-2001, 05:47 AM
Novox77 ...

How would you deal with a boxing style low hook to the floating ribs?

S.Teebas

Novox77
12-18-2001, 07:21 AM
S. Teebas:

Gaun dar would be my defense. Simultaneous attack (dar) and defense (gaun). As a boxer would also take a step to get out of your center to apply a close hook, I would also need to chum kiu step to maintain facing the boxer's center.