PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT : dollars and sense

Wongsifu
11-06-2001, 01:50 AM
okay this is off topic the forum started to get stupid again, (not that i mind stupid its good but not when its about the same scenarios 645 times over)
So i decided to ask a weird question, i read in other posts that some of you pay 50-60$ a month for training , all the way up to 500$ a month or something like that.Also i buy a lot of stuff from e-bay and i was wondering what is a good measure of something that is expensive and what is cheap in america.
Down her ethe average wage a month is around $500 and things like magazines cd's dvd video tapes eetc and other goods like boxing gloves pads etc etc, are twice as expensive as how much you guys payfor it , a dvd is about $35 a magazine is about $8 etc etc , and rent is a big slap a cheapish 2 bedroom apartment is $300.

What confused me is the big difference in the amount you pay for martial arts tuition.And people referring to stuff like wow $15 for shipping to cyprus, whereas other people seem to be okay to pay 400$ a month for training .
What is the average wage like down there , what takes a big chunk out of your salaries ? we have dirt cheap insuance but rent screws us , the rest is like i mentioned above.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Sharky
11-06-2001, 01:53 AM
"Pounds n pence, 'nuff dollars make cents"

Geddit?

Sorry, its not mine, i am bored, i know it is totally irrelevant

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Wongsifu
11-06-2001, 02:06 AM
yeah sharky its cool,whose it by ?

They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

joedoe
11-06-2001, 02:09 AM
Where do you live Wongsifu?

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 02:10 AM
yeah Wong, where do you live?

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Mojo
11-06-2001, 02:15 AM
He lives in Cyprus
check out this site for more info on Cyprus
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/cy.html

your welcome
;)

I am the most humble person you'll ever meet.

Jaguar Wong
11-06-2001, 02:15 AM
$300 to rent a 2 bedroom apartment!?! :eek:
Here in Vegas the one bedroom that I used to rent was $635! I wish I found a 2 bedroom for $300. Even in the bad parts of town, I think the lowest I saw was something like $350 for a studio (everything in one room) apartment.

We're gouged by insurance here too! Why am I still in Vegas!?! Oh wait, the cost of living is much lower than oh say....California :p, plus we're not paying a state tax (but we get gouged on our salaries because of it :().

DVDs here are around $20 - $30 (Usually $24.95). I was paying $40 - $50 when I started, but once we started doing stuff like heading up the Lion Dance team, and teaching the beginner classes (and warming up the Intermediates) I was training for free. I didn't learn as many new things, but I sure did sharpen up the basics because I was teaching them. :) I just train on my own now, though. I haven't actively attended the school since the whole "commercial" feel crept in with the newest generation of students. :(

Jaguar Wong

"If you learn to balance a tack hammer on your head
then you learn to head up a balanced attack!"
- The Sphinx

Wongsifu
11-06-2001, 02:22 AM
wow mojo thanks , i couldnt have said it better myself.I live in the south, greek cypriot side.
Its a really weird country, the city is like a village in another coutnry, and its very personal life , every one has their own car own house (not surprising considering the rent)etc etc the public transport is only used by people over 60 sort of thing . but its cool because its a 2 hour drive from the beach to the mountains .

btw that 300$ is per month for rent not per week ... but look at the average monthly salary 500$ , phew

SevenStar
11-06-2001, 02:42 AM
my two bedroom is $660 per month

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

prana
11-06-2001, 02:45 AM
2 yrs ago
had a 1 bedder apartment for $200/wk
was earning $490 after tax, about $700 before tax

now different

Sharky
11-06-2001, 03:22 AM
it's by Jay-Z man, Dead Presidents II (his song)

Sam Wiley
11-06-2001, 03:30 AM
I'd kill to only have to pay $300 for rent!!! For the apartment I live in now, I pay $785 a month! DVDs though are about 20-30 apiece, depending on where you get them and/or what they are.

Sharky
11-06-2001, 03:30 AM
I have relatives that own an olive farm in Cyprus. They have one in Sicily as well cuz dey iz rich az fuzuck BWOY.

BORED. LEARNING JAVA MAKES ME WANT TO DIE

halfling
11-06-2001, 05:35 AM
I think I read somewhere that the poverty level here in the US is below $600 dollars a month. Which is a little less than what I pay currently for an efficiency apt(everything all in one room) that is small to say the least.

Wongsifu
11-06-2001, 03:02 PM
ok cool replies , so what is the average wage , doctor lawyer sales assistant , manager of a specific brach of a store , etc etc .

Down here its between 400-500 dollars to work in a restaurant or a sales assistant , shop mcdonalds etc etc . A month , being director and or manager isnt that much better its abotu $1000 a month also. Computer technitians and all are between those two wages maybe 750 ....

LEGEND
11-06-2001, 04:31 PM
WongSifu...it varies...dood...in Cali and cities like NYC...rent is highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Cost of living is highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! DC is highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh or getting there! The only cheap place nowadays are far from the cities or places like HOUSTON etc...

A

Robinf
11-06-2001, 04:33 PM
My one bedroom in MA costs me $825/mo, but heat, hot water, and gas are included (gas stove).

Average salary? Depends greatly on the occupation and the experience level of the person. For someone like me, a web developer, 3 years experience, I should "expect" to get around $3300/mo. I make much less than that, though, but that's the economy for you.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Godzilla
11-06-2001, 05:13 PM
My house cost just over $4,000 per month (30 year mortgage)
My car cost $400 per month
Food also cost about $400 per month (this includes wifey and two kids)
Martial Arts training cost $1,200 per year
CD’s around $15
DVD’s around $25
Gas $1.39 per gallon

I live in New York. I know people paying twice and triple this who make me feel poor.

Godzilla

BTW Robin, I would love to visit MA. I heard it’s beautiful almost all year round.

Robinf
11-06-2001, 06:26 PM
Godzilla,

MA is beautiful. I live on the NorthShore, by the ocean. It's exceptionally beautiful year round, and I don't have to go far to see and listen to the ocean--it's best, I feel, in the middle of winter; when everything is all frozen over, the ocean surf still pounds away. I lived in NYC for a few months (went to NYU for a semester). I'm not a city person, but I would certainly visit.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

halfling
11-06-2001, 08:10 PM
Just some logical guesses at mean salaries here in the sough central US ..... Doctors (general family practitioners) make about $130,000 annually, Lawyers (not high level and not base level) about 80,000. I'm a speech pathology student and when I get my Master's Degree I can expect an intro salary of around 40K a year. also, Minimum wage is $5.25 so if you work full time (40 hrs a week) then you would have an avg salary of about $10,000 a year. Hope that helps figure it out a bit.

Wongsifu
11-07-2001, 12:58 AM
its cool guys you know i always thought in america people make a shed load more than we do down here , but when it boils down to it its all relatively the same bullsh1te , the cost of living is too high down here and down there, thanks for the replies.

MonkeySlap Too
11-07-2001, 01:52 AM
You know, your English is pretty good. You could try writing for some American magazines. Magazines generally don't pay well, but those dollars would stretch for you in Cyprus.

You DO NOT want to know what I pay in rent...

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

qeySuS
11-07-2001, 01:59 AM
Average wage is 500$? **** i make 1.150$ before taxes in my summer job at tech support (and that's the lowest pay at the ISP), i think USA has higher wages. Mind you i only get like 100-200 when i work part time with school :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

qeySuS
11-07-2001, 02:01 AM
sharky dont learn java, java is evil and worthless :)

Free thinkers are dangerous!

joedoe
11-07-2001, 02:05 AM
I disagree. Java may be a pain in the arse, but it has its uses. I personally prefer C++ but then we are in a web-enabled world now :)

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

Wongsifu
11-07-2001, 02:12 AM
cheers monkey slap , the reason my english is quite good is that i grew up in britain :D and i went to an english school when i moved over here , i have noticed that america and england pay better so its much better to do work down there , i actually do sell stuff on ebay and especially buy things that are cheap off it and sell them down here. our exchange raet is quite good we are about 1.50 to the dollar. So buying things from the net and selling them down here is a big profit. THanks for the idea anyhow...

Sharky
11-07-2001, 02:22 AM
i am doing Comp Sci at Cardiff Uni, it's just what they teach. I stand out in Cardiff, and on this course like a sore coc.k and i feel really thick. I can't grasp some of the programming and keep forgetting all the different terms. I've had loads of exams already, and loads of work. On monday i have 2 bits of coursework to hand in, and an exam.

This sucks :(