PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate KUNGFU Comic-book

@PLUGO
11-28-2001, 10:27 PM
So I know a few of you out there are into comics... some of you have even been working on various martial arts comics... in one of the other threads there's been mild talk of what it would be like to produce an actual Kungfu comic.
Having created Tiger's Tale (http://www.tigerstale.com) as well as having worked on some indie comics quite a few years back the topic has always been of interest to me... So how about you???

who of you have what it takes to produce a comic? storys, ideas, artwork, etc...

Who of you would be interested in such a comic???

well c'mon!!! whatdayathink??

shaolinboxer
11-28-2001, 10:47 PM
i have an excellent idea. therefore, i won't share it ;)

Radhnoti
11-28-2001, 11:27 PM
You know, I've noticed that several martial arts instructors that I've met are into comic book characters. I've heard my instructor mention Captain America, a local ninpo instructor said that he found inspiration in Daredevil and an old instructor mentioned enjoying Batman. Maybe it's tied in with the yearning to improve oneself...and a search for inspiration. Yeah, I know I'll never be Iron Fist...it's pretty unlikely I'll ever even be as good as my instructor, but that doesn't mean I can't draw inspiration from both.
I think I could come up with some pretty good stories and ideas if given some guidelines about where the character should end up. I've just read to many comics (and character driven books) to not have an opinion about how a story should proceed.
By the way, I'd definitely be interested. :)

11-29-2001, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing the return of "Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu".

The trouble with writing a book like that is that nobody is going to understand it, though.

I must admit - I am not a fan of "Tiger's Tale". But I'd imagine the kids soak that stuff up!

@PLUGO
11-30-2001, 01:09 AM
not that I'm offended or anything... just curious. Actually I've found that Tiger's Tale has quite a varied readership... young & old... I was definately creating it with an all access quality.

Well Shang Chui is appearing in a marvel crap book... & is the property of MARVEL... we wouldn't be able to touch it with out getting in trouble...

I was more greaing this topic towards more original creations/creators...

Still would love to hear what appealed to you about Master of Kungfu.

I agree that a Kungfu comic would have limited appeal... but then again I don't imagine creating another Spawn or whatever... Still, as a single project I do believe it has considerable potential... imagine if just the schools we each attend where to agree to buy/sell 3 copies to their students... how many would that be???
what about all those kids just starting out and eager to pick up anything martial arts related?
What if each school that agreed to sell it got a % of the cover price... not to mention comic-shops, Conventions & such... like I said... potential!!!

;)

Silumkid
11-30-2001, 01:22 AM
As far as creations/stories....I have a few. =)

I think a martial arts based comic could have good potential as long as it wasn't written with only kung-fu historians or whatnot in mind. It's all in the approach.

"I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Starchaser107
12-03-2001, 02:22 AM
I second that huang

I wanna see shang chi master of kung fu return.
esp if its done like it was late seventies early eighties.

"everything is everything"_W.Rodney

@PLUGO
12-04-2001, 06:09 PM
Well... that's certainly an accurate discription of those earlier episodes of Tiger's Tale ... I eventually moved into a more serialised narrative moving more into martial fantasy....

Indie refers to an Indipendantly published comic... did all sorts of stuff from Writing, illustrations, designs, promotions . . . etc.

wow that was Years ago...

Yeah to produce a comic product one must either be able to complete the product themself... Write, Draw, Letter (probably with a computer) then assemble & design...

Something to the effect of a single "issue" comic would be the closest to "realistic" in this particular thred... A sort of Anthology where each creator could be alloted X number of pages while 1 or 2 individuals would function in the editorial aspect to insure properly spelt werds... and perhaps an art director to insure some level of visual quality...

That's how the "indies" where put together back in the day!!! :)

Shaolindynasty
12-05-2001, 09:20 AM
I am working on a new project. I couldn't get the story telling in the last one to work so I quit working on it until I get the story strait. The new one I am working on is a story that funakoshi used to tell......so I guess it's a karate comic but it has a good message. It'll be on my site when it's done. Making comics is very frustraiting when you have primitive tools like I do also my lettering sucks so I do it with a computr but when I scan the panels in they get these lines in them. Oh well maybe if I do this for real(profit) one day I can get some better equipment and help with the production.

@PLUGO
12-05-2001, 03:16 PM
Hmmm... Lines in the Scan my be the result of some glitch in the actual scanner.

Lettering is often an interesting challange... and before the computer, the quality of lettring in a comic (according to an editor I once spoke to) could often make or break that comic.

The Computer has revolutionized lettering in comics... as well as coloring for that matter... just look at a comic produced in the mid-eighties & look at a comic on the stands these days... The use of lettering & sound effect have definatly changed... the same is true for color, but not all comics use full-color printing while others heavily rely on computer-generated effects... so there's a broader spectrum when observing the use of color.

I can't stress enough the judicious use of type... The drawback of the computer is the ease with which a variety of type fonts can be found... thus "typeography" or lettering can again, make or break any publication...
Take a look at Kungfu-Qigong magazine, with an eye for "lettering" and let us know how we're doing. ;)

Silumkid
12-05-2001, 06:30 PM
I remember a couple of comic mags done in this "Indie" style. One in particular I remember was called "Shred" and was a 'skater/superhero' mag.....can't remember the name of the other one but was something along the lines of martial arts aliens who could transform into robot forms in emergencies.

Anyhow, Shred was pretty decent.

Shaolindynasty
12-06-2001, 09:30 AM
I have a pretty cheap scanner. Personally I like the older comics though. They seem to have more character than todays slickly produced stuff. That's just for people like me though, a gemeral audeince loves the slick stuff. I was real heavy into this stuff back in high school but me and the art teacher didn't get along well due to the fact she liked to keep our better stuff and sell it at art shows she used to go to(you can image how frustraiting this would be for someone trying to create a good portfolio). I have decided recently to go back to school for art(community college first) so I can catch up on all the new methods of technology. In high school we didn't even have computers. It's all good though, maybe somebody out there will appreciate some retro stuff.:confused:

Shaolindynasty
12-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Here design Sifu check it out and see what you think. I have one panel as per usual but see what you think about it over all go ahead and rip it apart. Keep in mind my primitive production equipment though ;) http://members.tripod.com/regicyde/id32.htm

Drunken1
12-06-2001, 06:05 PM
I'd be very interested in a new Kung Fu Comic. I'm an old school fan of Jademan and I'm on a big swordplay kick after seeing Storm Riders, Crouchig tiger, Kung Fu Cult Master,Man called Hero, etc. The abilities demonstrated by these Characters in the movies are on a par with anything done by Marvel and DC anyway. I am a big fan of Tiger's Tale, and would love to see you tackle a mythical martial arts master's adventures. Any body out here remember Dragon Lines by Ron Lim? I have a few Ideas Design sifu, if you'd be interested in hearing them.
Email me at Drunken1@adelphia.net, or if you have a mailing address, i'd like to send a sample script I did a few years back. Just some stuff I threw to gether at work when I was bored.

Shaolindynasty
12-07-2001, 01:56 PM
Ron Lim did a MA comic? What year did that come out? I was a fan of his back when he did Silver Surfer and spiderman. Actually I think he was the best penciler for silver surfer and I could only realy stand two different pencilers for spider man and aside from Mark Bagley, Ron Lim was it.

No_Know
12-09-2001, 01:36 AM
"Having created Tiger's Tale as well as having worked on some indie comics quite a few years back the topic has always been of interest to me... So how about you???

who of you have what it takes to produce a comic? storys, ideas, artwork, etc...

Who of you would be interested in such a comic???

well c'mon!!! whatdayathink??"

It seems that you would like to do more than you have perhaps before done, but understand that you need more than you to pull it off--this seems like a recruitment+. I think that I like Tiger's Tale. I could help you with story when you get stuck. Other than that, hear what they say about ours (mine and another's) when it comes out.

Other than That, good Luck to you and the others looking to make it~.

@PLUGO
12-11-2001, 02:42 PM
hmmm.... maybe in the most abstract of ways, but I see this thread as a sort of testing ground for cultivating poential collaborations...

ShaolinD: I dig your individual panels and would love to see you expand that into some story telling techniques... I can't recomend Understanding Comics enough for a thorough exploration of the medium of comics...

Ron Lim:
Was a big fan of him as well... especially on Silver Surfer, His Dragon Lines was a bit of a disapointment. Wasn't that the one with a modernised Monkey King? It was tooo Super-heroish & lacked alot of the Chinese/asian design sensibilites that really stand out in the Jade-man stuff & some of those recient films... Anyone see Legand of ZU?

Shaolindynasty
12-12-2001, 09:58 AM
Design sifu: "I dig your individual panels and would love to see you expand that into some story telling techniques"

Thanks for the complement but my story telling sucks so I hope I won't disapoint you. I saw that Understanding comics book in Barnes & Noble maybe I'll have to pick it up. Keep the comments coming guys, that always gives me inspiration to continue.

No_Know
12-13-2001, 10:37 PM
I saw, "Zu:Warriors of Mystic Mountain." There's fencing at the beginning. The boy has a project but was told to get more research. Same story?

@PLUGO
12-14-2001, 12:39 PM
There's actually a Sequal called
LEGEND OF ZU...

Matrix level special effects....quite the eye candy!!!

Shaolindynasty
12-17-2001, 09:38 AM
Wolfen email me the story maybe I'll be interested in drwing up a storyboard for you to look at and see if it's the direction you want to go in.

@PLUGO
12-17-2001, 04:52 PM
The main thing you expressed was a desire to make money and look for "formulas" and seem to be making a cattle call to get finished product.
You are more like some kind of promoter that a creative person.

well, you don't know me or my body of work.... not a problem really, but your still missing the point of my thred which was really to empower those interested in combining the Genre of martial arts with the media of comics...

It's something I have both experience with and an interest in... I've been there already, my work's been produced & published... I've been paid. I'll probably persue it again as well as other stuff.

ShaolinD has expressed his own interest & has started to develop his own pool of skills... you have my applause, & I would like to see more, especially on the "story board" tip as I've yet to see an application of visual storytelling

@PLUGO
12-17-2001, 04:54 PM
So where did this "all animals brotherly love" in "two tigers" come from,

is that a question wolfen?

are you asking ME something?

try again.

Shaolindynasty
12-17-2001, 05:39 PM
I am not sure the original name of the story but it is in Karate do Nyumon by funokashi. That guys name in the panel is Matsumuri Sensei. I might as well give away the basic story since it is already out already. Matsumuri is fired from his job teaching the lord of the area(don't have my papers with me) he is all worried about this and meets the blacksmith who challenges him to a fight for the next morning ........ for those who haven't heard this story yet I whant to keep the ending a surprise, let's just say that this comic will be extremely philosophical, which is what impressed me with the story anyway. It'll be done soon. I am goning to do it in sections so the next couple of pages should be on my site in about a week. I'll keep you guys posted.

Design Sifu- Thanks for the props I really appreciate the tips you've been giving me. Comics are such a specialized area that people like me(hobbyists) have a hard time finding tips. I used to do alot of this back in 95-97 but my training took up my time and energy for awhile. I am just trying to get back in the game, sad to say like MA when you don't draw for awhile you lose your skills. I look at my drawings now and go ugh but unfortunatly I don't have my old stuff either and computers are new to me so it's like starting over again.

@PLUGO
12-17-2001, 07:44 PM
True... Drawing as a technique needs to continually be trained... oh so much like Kungfu itself...

it's always a mission to keep one's skill's sharp.

this is true for prettymuch any& everything eh?

still pick-up the Understanding comics... for theory...

the of course Will Eisner's Sequential Art... or pretty much anything else!!!

Keep at it!!!

Shaolindynasty
12-19-2001, 10:04 PM
Yeah these characters know Karate, actually I beleive it takes place on okinawa(not sure) and the historical acuracy of this story doesn't really matter as much as the message it gives. Design Sifu was talking to me cause I have putting up samples but haven't put out a complete or partial story yet.

@PLUGO
12-20-2001, 02:37 PM
So there's this hotshot well read anthropologist who traveled to japan to meet some, probably famous ZEN master (Though how someone could become famous for doing nothing is a mystery :p ).

While visiting, ZEN master pours his guest some tea, continueing to pour well beyond the point of over filling the cup and in continues with no indication of stopping. Surprised, Anthropologist points out this seeming waist of spilled tea. ZEN master then stops and replies "...

No_Know
12-20-2001, 05:05 PM
""?"
So there's this hotshot well read anthropologist who traveled to japan to meet some, probably famous ZEN master (Though how someone could become famous for doing nothing is a mystery ).

While visiting, ZEN master pours his guest some tea, continueing to pour well beyond the point of over filling the cup and in continues with no indication of stopping. Surprised, Anthropologist points out this seeming waist of spilled tea. ZEN master then stops and replies "..."

Your learning is like this tea. Yet you do not see the waste in learning aimlessly.

Ernie Moore Jr.:~>

@PLUGO
12-21-2001, 11:31 AM
ahhh... Wolfy... your fictions are just now starting to become amusing...

you still reveal your dependance on me for any semblance of value to your posts... but hey, you did blow your wad in 3 squirts already, do you have anything new or original to offer? :rolleyes:

Your cup's too full to make make any question you claim to ask even remotely recognisable as such... but do go on.

We can all see how desperately you need this...

No_Know
12-21-2001, 01:20 PM
"Your cup's too full to make make any question you claim to ask even remotely recognisable as such... but do go on. "

When editing this for spacing I reread and realized a possible what you were looking for. I'll post this then go for that.

...Zm: I'm sorry, was that me? I was talking to myself [softly half to himself] again. And just now became aware.

Depending on your point or direction this could go many ways.

HS: I didn't think zen masters lost focus [cleaning himself off (drying)]

ZM:Master!? I'm merely a student.

HS: But aren't you_____? They say you're so much this and that and almost even famous [almost to himself] "Though how someone could become famous for doing nothing is a mystery"

ZM:I'm he, but I'm not anything,,,,like that. What do I know? I can't even pour tea [apologetically smiles and kneels to talk with his guest].

HS:This was a waste

ZM:[wiping the table and not looking at the man until after having spoken] Like the tea. [looks into the right eye of HS for a serious deep moment then smiles apologetically]

No_Know
12-21-2001, 02:14 PM
"Your cup's too full to make make any question you claim to ask even remotely recognisable as such... but do go on. " "

HS: Yeah, whatever. O.K. so what is ZEN.

ZM: A word. Or whatever it is.

HS: Be serious. That doesn't make sense. What is ZEN?

ZM: Forty-two.

HS: Forty-two? What's that?

ZM: The answer to the question, "what is the meaning of Life?" according to the Hitch Hicker's Guide to the Galaxy. Or the Resteraunt at the End of the Universe. I think one can get to the resteraunt by using the guide.

HS: I didn't ask that.

ZM: Almost everyone asks that at some point. Would you like me to pour you more tea?

HS: More like pour it on me, and No. And forty two doesn't answer that question.

ZM: So, you claim to know the secret of the meaning of Life?

HS: No.

ZM: Then how could you know what the answer is Not?

HS: [dumbfounded]

ZM: Making a statement in question format is not the same as Asking a question. You won't find anything you're not missing. People who already Know don't care to find out...speaking of out, thank you for your company. I hope that you have a good trip to where ever, as you leave Japan.

HS: But I didn't learn anything.

ZM: Hopefully you learned that, a cup too Full, makes one wet.

Ernie Moore Jr.

@PLUGO
12-21-2001, 05:42 PM
No_Know...

excellent!!! I might just have to draw that...

No_Know
12-22-2001, 10:10 PM
Very ... I hopefully wasn't continuing or developing your idea wolfen. I merely went from Design Sifu's lead to a next makes sensible to go to. I barely even skimmed your stuff. Seeing what Design Sifu was interested in was paramount. And that's all for which I come to this thread. I might sometime read overthe rest of the stuff here to see what was said but, hopefully, I merely followed Design Sifu's lead as I understood to.~

My deed is done (seemingly) on this thread. It seems that you wolfen are an aspiring writer and got some direction from Design Sifu so, continued development to you.

Shaolindynasty
12-23-2001, 01:28 PM
What happened to the original topic?:confused: Let's get back to some MA comics and stop worring about whos sharing what or whatever. I thought the media boards were about fun and entertainment?

No_Know
12-25-2001, 09:48 AM
I looked for parts that I could use. "You...but do go on." I thought was directed, must have been directed at/to me. I thought that it was the ZEN master commenting to the HotShot. It did not occure that the hot Shot represented wolfen. I thought that it was merely a story start and the appropriate thing was to continue/finish the story. I saw a comment from which I derrived the direction Design, Sifu wanted to go. The ZEN master was indignant, agrivated by the arrogance of Hot Shot. I couldn't see direct disapproval from a zen master so I went the stereotypical way I understood that woukd be applicable.

You try to get out your ideas and perception of what it takes to be a Zen master, by describing the character by mirror review (what's in the body and stating ideals. The zen masters in my says don't seem to validate themselves. If the stuff that I put seemed to mirror your idea(s) it was the idea(s) which you did not post here. And yet, theoretically I basically do not read minds or thoughts. There really doesn't seem to be enough there for me to have done as you claim and developed YOUR idea. However I can now no longer use the concept of yellowstain to indicate not comming out. That was nice to see good mention, even if you didn't notice how wonderfully valuable that concept is. Good going, really good.

You write and are right. At least you're probabally right about something. i hope that you get what you need to develop whater skill you might have as a writer in directions more creative than hitting people with words...Actually that's what Writing is. There's merely differing degrees of touch, hit, smack, caress, console, push, press... Good luck~ wolfen.

Design_Sifu, Jademan comics had step by step,~ on how to produce their comics. Perhaps that would be of help to you.

ShaolinDynasty, wolfen's comments seemedinteresting. At least factors. If they were valid then that was a good mention on wolfen's part, to be helpful to your development. Thinking about such things as was mentioned should be helpful guides to producing good product with your talent.

@PLUGO
12-27-2001, 03:37 PM
well... it seems wolfen is still ernestly in need of "someone" against which to define himself... :rolleyes:

in the mean time, the original topic & entent of this thred has been derailed.

We could...

A) close this thred & start again
B) let this thred continue on is present course
C) redefine the intent of THIS thred
D) . . .

I started this thred with the intention of allowing a space where any who would be interested, could explore what it could or would take to "create" a KUNGFU Comic...

Now this could lead into defining What a comic is... internet web-comic like this. (http://www.astoundingspacethrills.com) vs. printed,stapled, mini-magazine like the kind many of us have grown up with.

Also then comes a potential discourse on the depiction of Kungfu. Such as the JADEMAN productions... filled with "martial mythology" and Matrix-esque special effects. Or marvel's Master of Kungfu of the 70's who mixed martial philosophy with some (highly stylised) visual storytelling+fight scenes and many of the conventions of comics... spys, superweapons etc... Also then are the Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee comics that hit the stands in the past few years... relying heavily on the "star-power" of their title charactor and the martial knowledge (or lack there of) of their illustrators.Then there are things like the Asiapac publications offering distilled "martial philosophies" in the form of stories... I would dare to place tiger's tale somewhere between here at it's onset & in newer episodes Jademan but hey that's my vision of that piece of art/work.

So... with this post I'm attempting to set a stage of definition...

I've encountered 1 comic book that I would refer to as a pure Kungfu-comic, though it actually is based on Kenpo. It was titled Fist Law, I'll post a link when I find it...

Shaolindynasty
12-28-2001, 11:47 AM
I'd like to see that link when you find it DS. Unforntatly I wasn't into martial arts during my heavy collecting days, so I don't know much about the old martial heroes. I have read some Iron Fist, mostly when he was a guest star in spidey books, I didn't care for it much since he was to "preachy" but not in that good Silver Surfer way. Speaking of Spidey, I was in the store shopping for christmans and I saw a "ninja Spidey" what was that all about?

@PLUGO
12-28-2001, 03:35 PM
Well I believe Marvel is doing this project based on having some of Japan's manga artists do a manga take on various Marvel charactors... a Mecha Ironman... an X-men ala Dragon ball Z... and a Ninja Spiderman... the previews a saw seem novel...

I used to follow Iron Fist it was Okay... but mostly he was depicted as a super acrobat with his magical PUNCH!!! There was one issue where he fights hordes of ninja which worked pretty well in terms of his use of skill against multiple opponents... but of course FranK Millar's Daredevil wrote the book on one hero vs. Ninja Hordes...

Still mos of thos depictions went more for High Drama & spectical than actually illustrating Martial techniques in use... While Fist Law succeeds in that aspect (naming a Kenpo technique & showing it's use) it's weeknesses are found elsewhere.

@PLUGO
01-08-2002, 12:16 PM
Well Here (http://www.kenpocomics.com/) it is....

friday
01-19-2002, 03:50 AM
hey does anyone remember when some kung fu comics from hong kong produced by a guy called Tony Wong used to be sold.

i think the company brand name was jademan comics and the titles included

the force of the buddhas palm
oriental heroes
drunken fist
blood sword and some other titles

i used to luv reading them when i was a teenager
anyway this thread got me thinking about it again. my goal when i was a teenager was to be able to draw comics as i was a pretty good drawer at the time...however...hmmm how things have changed.

anyway i m sure the above comics were sold in america
australia.

@PLUGO
01-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Yeah... great stuff... I've got a huge pile of them under my desk here at work!!!

http://www.tomheroes.com/images/bloodsword.jpg

Not much to be found online... (www.mycomicshop.com)