PDA

View Full Version : New look, new forum?

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 09:07 AM
Interesting new forum look, I'm assuming the transfer has finally taken place?RIGHT? Cool.

Sorry, lots of things to play with and figure out now. :D

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 09:13 AM
The really cool thing is that I've been a registered member since before I was born (1970). I'd like to thank my parents for having the foresight to take care of this for me, and for finally getting around to producing me two years later. :)

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2001, 09:14 AM
Interesting look. It'll take some getting used to, but looky at all the features!

It's a little sterile, though. Hey, Mods! Can we get some potted plants or something to brighten the place up?

Oh yeah - will my posts from this morning come back? Mostly they weren't much, but I thought the question of why MA should develop character merits saving.

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 09:19 AM
That's right baby, its the new stuff again.

Lets start our tests.

I'll try to put an avatar, hold on.

BTW, the [img] code is off, i wonder if its a default thing or did the mods decide it this way?

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 09:25 AM
Ass you can see, i put THE EFFECTIVE ONE instead of Senior Member.

Testing the smiles thing:

:)
:(
:o
:cool:

:D

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 09:36 AM
For those that want to put an avatar up, remember its gottta be 50 x 50 pixels, try to keep it small so that 56kers dont have to wait years for the pages to load up.

Note that the private messages are off by default, turn them on in the User Control Panel, Edit Options.

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 09:41 AM
Mods/Admins, i noticed that in the profile there is no longer "what is your martial art" and "how long have you trained".
Could you put that up since I'm assuming that right now the forum is all default?

Now we have a Buddy list and a IGNORE LIST (cool Ralek will love this).

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 09:56 AM
Now I was registered in Dec. of '69? Cool. I've supposedly "uploaded" an avatar, here's hoping it works.

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Gosh drat it! All the images I want to use for an avatar are too big, and I don't have photoshop on this computer.

Ryu and other folks got away with putting big images in their sig lines back at the old forum; those were basically avatars; I wonder if that would work here?

http://www.uol.com.br/bienal/24bienal/nuh/images/enuhmonbill01r.jpg

Test

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2001, 10:16 AM
Nnnnnope.

****it, Max Bill's "Tripartite Unity" would be a great avatar, too.

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 11:02 AM
There went my morning ~ gottat figure out how this baby works now just like the rest of you.
Sorry about the back date problem. I had warned you that it might happen. It makes us all look older, eh?
Lots more functions here. Post on this thread your discoveries.

Now back to the adminstration....

Dark Knight
12-04-2001, 11:52 AM
Cool look

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 12:11 PM
Anyone wanting to change an image size, I would recommend a "free" (they do have ads) program for which I've found limitless uses. It's called ACDSee, I use the trial version 3.1. You can find it with a simple web search I'm fairly certain. Used it to shrink down the avatar I used to test (who knows, may keep it) my profile out. Great and useful program for any non-pro image stuff...and did I mention, it's FREE !!

OK, now let's hear what Gene has to say... :rolleyes:

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 12:34 PM
I just got the style and time training restored to the member profiles, but you have to re-enter it yourself.
The IMG code is all messed up. Sorry. We're working on it, but we may just have to live with it this way.

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 12:39 PM
SO , we can edit our posts now...even after someone else has posted...but it does mention that you edited AND the time you edited.

OK, just curious about that, thanks for participating Gene. :D

Felipe Bido
12-04-2001, 12:43 PM
Now, How do I put an avatar?

Shaolindynasty
12-04-2001, 12:49 PM
This new forum rules!

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2001, 01:05 PM
Dude, I've been editing my posts since I got here. Glad to see you're catching up with the times, Radhnoti.

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 01:55 PM
I may be SLOW , but at least I'm stupid !

Uh...wait a minute...:confused:

Actually, I don't think you could edit a post after it had been replied to previously Chang. Also there was a "time limit" for editing posts before. I'm certain of this as I've said things I wished I could edit on the other boards but waited too late. :)

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 02:00 PM
Ok, thanks Gene.

Some more tests (testing graphic accents):

Á
É
ão
ô
ü
à

º
¿
®
Ñ

To put a avatar, go to User Control Panel and Edit Options.

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 02:02 PM
You had 30 minutes to edit a post on the old forum...

Chang Style Novice
12-04-2001, 02:02 PM
oh, AFTER a reply. I don't think I ever tried that. There was definitely a half-hour limit on time to edit, though. All I ever did was try to complete my thoughts or fix typos/grammar errors, not change what I said to make a rebuttal look dumb. That would just be rude.

My mistake.

Radhnoti
12-04-2001, 02:04 PM
This at the top of the specific forums is what amazes me:

(Users Browsing this Forum: NorthernMantis, Ryu, Watchman, Chang Style Novice, Radhnoti, dzu, Napoleon Duarte, Apprentice).

It's weird to see all these names that you "know" as a poster, and know that they're all browsing to read something interesting, same as you.
It'll be interesting to see the number of names "browsing" at peak online times. I'm also pretty interested in learning how the private messages work.

NorthernMantis
12-04-2001, 02:08 PM
I like I like!!!:D :) :)

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 02:11 PM
I'll send you a Private Message, tell me if it worked :D

Felipe Bido
12-04-2001, 02:14 PM
Oh, yeah, it gets better and better.

Somebody send me an instant message, just to check, please

Xebsball
12-04-2001, 02:16 PM
Felipe, go to Edit Options and enable the Private Messages first.

Mr. Nemo
12-04-2001, 02:24 PM
This is a test. This is only a test. If this were real, it would be followed by
instructions on how to deal with the emergency.

I want this link to be an image:
http://www.rubberanchovies.com/jocktroll.jpg
But it's posting it as a link, even though I clicked the "img" button. It uses the IMG and /IMG tags.

I can't figure out how to edit my profile, or how to get an avatar. EDITED AGAIN: Nevermind, I found it.

Also, I seem to have registered in january of 1970, which I'm pretty sure is wrong. My registration date is before my birth date.

MIKSANSOO
12-04-2001, 02:25 PM
just testing

SifuAbel
12-04-2001, 02:33 PM
Finally!!!! ralek types can be ignored forever!!!!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

:p

Ha! I just put Ralek on my ignore list!!!
This will set back trolling for quite a while.

Starchaser107
12-04-2001, 03:01 PM
Like the changes Way cool :cool: :cool:

logic
12-04-2001, 03:06 PM
Yeah it's cool.
All this new oronge stuff is gonna spoil everyone.:D :D :)

xingyiman
12-04-2001, 03:12 PM
Testing Avatar. How do you like it? :D

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Good. It's been a lot of work to get here as those of you who been following the posts know. But as promised, lots of new whistles and bells, AND we can afford to keep it up!
So far, everything looks stable, but the last time we did experience a regression after being up for a bit. Hopefully, that won't happen again. We are trying to re-import the posts from this morning that didn't make it. If you see any huge anomalies, please let us know.
Cheers!

Fish of Fury
12-04-2001, 03:14 PM
what's this button do?......AAAAARGH

kungfuyou
12-04-2001, 03:17 PM
Gotta say I like!! Glad to see you can afford it now too! Now I can have something cool to play with while I'm wasting time instead of working!! :D :D

Mr. Nemo
12-04-2001, 03:22 PM
Fish of Fury- Yeah, you gotta watch the "nuke china" button. It's right next to the "post reply" button, careful you don't hit it by accident.

Xingyiman - Is that the ninja guy from final fantasy 3/6?

Admin: The new forum is great, but is it possible to make the avatars a little bigger? They're kinda small.

vingtsunstudent
12-04-2001, 03:39 PM
is it just me & my computer or is some of this stuff really small & hard to read.
vts

xingyiman
12-04-2001, 03:39 PM
Mr. Nemo: YES. Its Shadow from Final Fantasy 3/6 !

joedoe
12-04-2001, 03:54 PM
I cannot get my old nickname back!!!!!!

I am ABandit , hear me roar!

Fish of Fury
12-04-2001, 03:58 PM
how do i get an avatar?

i went to edit options but cant find any:mad:

hey these faces are cool

he :cool: looks kinda like Jet Li in OUATIC no: whatever, with thosae cool little round sunnies

JasBourne
12-04-2001, 03:59 PM
OMG, there's an IGNORE button!!

*faint*

Gene, you guys just earned your paychecks for the year. My family and doctor would like to thank you for contributing to my lower blood pressure.

An ignore button. This rocks. Sayonnara, ****roaches! :cool:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The censor script blanked out "c*ckroaches"!! This is gonna be fun, figuring out all the new little quirks!

Fish of Fury
12-04-2001, 04:13 PM
testing

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 04:50 PM
And I'm here to testify. Been chasing down bugs all day. Now my eyes are all blurry.

Stacey
12-04-2001, 05:09 PM
;) Mr. Ching....are you sure its this forum thats making you blind. Maybe its the other website you've been looking at.:D

sinner. :eek:

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 05:12 PM
Maybe that other forum took you up on your offer... :o

SifuAbel
12-04-2001, 05:45 PM
Way cool forum.

I don't mean to be a pest but, Is there anyway to increase the alloted picture size for the avatar?

The current size is too small. The profile also lacks size.

vingtsunstudent
12-04-2001, 05:53 PM
gene
can i again ask is everything gone really small or what.
some things seem almost impossible to read.
vts

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 06:00 PM
There are much greater bugs to stomp than the size of things. I've spent the entire day reworking memberships for people who have had there logins scrambled by the transfer. That is a far more immediate fire to put out than sizings.
Most everyone has been understanding and patient and I thank you. For those few who copped an attitude, relax, it's just web forum. :p

I might be able to do something about avatars, but as for the rest of it, there probably isn't very much I can do. More functions mean more buttons and less real estate for other things. But so far, I've found it's pretty easy to adjust, you just have to read everything once to become familiar, then I think you'll find that it is pretty high yield information. Not sure when I'll get a chance to look into this, but your comments are noted and logged.

joedoe
12-04-2001, 06:08 PM
Sorry to be a pain, but I was wondering if we will get our old nicknames back or are we stuck with our login names?

Fish of Fury
12-04-2001, 06:14 PM
don't be an ABandit all your life :D

GeneChing
12-04-2001, 06:16 PM
Yeah, this is the biggest bug. A lot of people got their login names all switched around. KFQ Admin mentioned the problem in the announcement. Email me what changes you want and I'll attend to them as soon as possible. It has to be changed from the admin end, which is very bothersome to us admins...

SevenStar
12-04-2001, 06:23 PM
Hey Gene, Can you put the pop it feature back?

Sum Sing Wong
12-04-2001, 07:30 PM
ok.... I'm just here to play around with things...Awesome Im old now!!!

Robbie
12-04-2001, 08:53 PM
I like it. But we lost most of the Northern Praying Mantis history. I hope you get that back it has my entire history of 3 posts on it, now I have to start over. 1000 here I come.:D

not to be a pest but the time is also one hour off. I had to choose Mountain time to show the right time and I live in Iowa. Definitely an improvement over how it was though, I could never tell before.

halfling
12-04-2001, 09:34 PM
i think i like it. :p

Felipe Bido
12-04-2001, 09:46 PM
The private messages are very cool. Man, we are like children with a new toy:D

Fish of Fury
12-04-2001, 10:44 PM
you're right Felipe

it's not even Xmas yet, but Gene gave us our presents early!

Johnny Hot Shot
12-04-2001, 11:00 PM
Eww now THIS is going to take some getting used too.

neptunesfall
12-05-2001, 12:05 AM
just testing my avatar....
and stuff like this
and this
and that :D

dec 1969????
i'm older than yoda. good lord.

GeneChing
12-05-2001, 11:24 AM
... but I warned you about that possiblity months ago.

As for 'pop it' I cannot re-establish that exactly, but there maybe there's a way to emulate it using the current functions. I never used that function in the old forum, but poke around here, there maybe a way.

And I'm glad you all like it for the most part. It's was supposed to be a Halloween treat, but we'll take a X-mas present.

diego
12-05-2001, 12:11 PM
I lost like 60 posts,its okay But im wondering when i check my old posts it shows 12 only when it says 480..is that a minor bug or will it always be like that.

whats with this vb code icon with the biu and size font color php ??? wtf

looks cool

diego
12-05-2001, 12:32 PM
there is 72 posts on the southern forum when there was at least a thousand.it only goes back to november 5 2001 ,thought you'd like to kno

Gargoyle again
12-05-2001, 12:40 PM
:p
Just testing some new stuff...
:eek:

Hmm...looks like myself and others "total post" counts went way down, anyway to recover our numbers even if the old posts were cleaned out?
If not, I'll just start a "All groundfighters are hermaphroditic ninnies" thread and get my post count rocketing up again :D :D

Crimson Phoenix
12-05-2001, 12:56 PM
Watch out, once you pop, you can't stop :p

qeySuS
12-05-2001, 02:15 PM
m'kay, the bandwith seems to be a BIT less (hardly feel it though) Love the new whistles and if you know our LPB's right they wont be happy if the avatar size goes up (i dont care i have 512KB at home and a few mb at work).

Is there a board where we can try stuff out? I dont wanna do it here since some of it may be malicious (just because i noticed a lot of HTMLing is allowed i wanted to see how much and i dont wanna do that on a board where it's not allowed, but i think it's worth to see so other people dont do it).

Xebsball
12-05-2001, 05:51 PM
Pistol grip PUMP on my lap at all times!!!
Pistol grip PUMP on my lap at all times!!
Pistol grip PUMP on my lap at all times!
They can be ****ing with other niggas ****, but they cant be ****ing with mine

Guess who's NUMBER ONE on my igonre list, hell ya, the R' man, the Rollinwuss, the troll machine, Ralek himself, MWAHAHAH.

diego
12-06-2001, 01:25 AM
aka mr simpson

"hand covering side off mouth leaning next to bart pointing at xebbyy HUSHED VOICE""
HE'S CRAZY

brassmonkey
12-06-2001, 02:26 AM
What are we on iceland time?

GeneChing
12-06-2001, 11:58 AM
...but I think you'll agree that they were acceptable considering that we almost lost the whole thing. We went way over budget this year with the new charges from the old system, so hopefully you all can make it uup to us by buying lots of stuff from our sponsors above.