PDA

View Full Version : Best Pushup Workout

lowsweep
12-04-2001, 04:49 PM
I keep hearing conflicting things about how often I should do pushups and how many I should do. I have tried IronFist's pushup program and I liked it a lot. I have heard that it is useless when working out if you do not work the same muscles at least once ever 48 hours from a doctor. I have also heard I should do as much as I can once every 6 days. I am looking for maximum strength gains here (I dont care about getting big muscles or anything) and I am not that interested in increasing muscle indurance at this time. What should I do for maximum gains?

wow, colored text is nice. :)
thanks,
lowsweep

rubthebuddha
12-04-2001, 04:54 PM
best strength workout i've had, especially for pushups, centered around working both slow- and fast-twitch muscles. i prefer sets that work both, such as doing one three-count pushup (up two three, down two three), then three fast pushups, and repeat until you can't push up any more on the fast ones. but don't quit -- hold that position a few inches above the ground for five seconds or so, then see if you have anything left. only after "resting" in a near-down position then trying for more should you rest.

again, my favorite strength bugger for pushups. other idears?

IronFist
12-04-2001, 06:08 PM
keep hearing conflicting things about how often I should do pushups and how many I should do. I have tried IronFist's pushup program and I liked it a lot.

I didn't invent it, but I'm glad you liked it.

I have heard that it is useless when working out if you do not work the same muscles at least once ever 48 hours from a doctor.

Whoa, time to get a new doctor. Seriously, that's some of the worst advice I've ever heard. What if you do a bodybuilding workout and you're sore for 5 days? You better not work it again 2 days later. I've seen people have success with working out every day, and some powerlifting style workouts that were a body part once per week. To sum it up, your doctor is wrong.

I have also heard I should do as much as I can once every 6 days.

Maxing out once every 6 days is wrong. Pro powerlifters max out once twice or 3 times per year, not every 6 days. Don't listen to the person who told you this.

I am looking for maximum strength gains here (I dont care about getting big muscles or anything) and I am not that interested in increasing muscle indurance at this time. What should I do for maximum gains?

Read the routine I wrote in the training legs and stances post. Do that every day for bench and deadlift, or bench squat and pullups.

Good luck.

Iron

lowsweep
12-05-2001, 03:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.